Skip to content

Phase I: Performance Test

Comments

• wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    edited January 2014
    Has anyone tried this on an 8 inch tablet yet? I'm thinking of upgrading from the Samsung Tab 2 7" to the Tab 3 8" (the 10.1" is probably a little out of my price range).

If anyone has I'm most interested on how the font size fares. I can read it and select the right option reasonably easily on the 7" but it's just a little too small to be comfortable with.
  • atomicsnowmanatomicsnowman Member Posts: 31
    Are the beta testers supposed to run multiple games on their tablets? I only completed one.
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2014
    @wigglesg If you want an 8.9" tablet for cheap, go with the Nook HD+. I think you can find it online for around $129. It's got 260 PPI which is close to retina display. I testing the Beta on that device and so far its running nicely and the font size is fine and legible - not too small.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You only need to complete it once, although if you want to keep playing it that won't ruin anything on our end.

We're up to 34 successful tests now; I see that a lot of people have started the test but not finished it. If you haven't gotten to Gorion yet and completed the prologue, make sure you get to him at some point.
    Aristillius
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Sure it's not needed but I would totally complete a game over the weekend if I had access to the beta on my N7.
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59
    is anyone testing on a nexus 10? I'm really hoping that tablet doesn't get left out in the cold
    matthileo said:

is anyone testing on a nexus 10? I'm really hoping that tablet doesn't get left out in the cold

I'm testing on the Nexus 10. One of my earlier comments was that it was slightly choppy when compared to my Nexus 5. That might have been a trick of resolution vs screen size, though. The 10 is 2560x1600 and that's a lot of pixels to manage for the old girl on "just" a dual core processor. :)

There's no way for me to upgrade tablets for the next year or two, so I'm hoping it'll work out.
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    All of you 66 other testers need to GET ERR DUNN!
  • matthileomatthileo Member Posts: 59

matthileo said:

I'm testing on the Nexus 10. One of my earlier comments was that it was slightly choppy when compared to my Nexus 5. That might have been a trick of resolution vs screen size, though. The 10 is 2560x1600 and that's a lot of pixels to manage for the old girl on "just" a dual core processor. :)

There's no way for me to upgrade tablets for the next year or two, so I'm hoping it'll work out.
    I wonder if it would be feasible to include an option to lower the resolution for the game.
  • pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    feels like these 100tests are going very slow considering each 1 can be completed in like 2 minutes if you do a quick zoom in and out and run straight to Gorion spamming the chat
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @pandacake I'd do that, if this version would even install for me ;).

A couple of the really early builds installed ok (the ones named like Baldur's Gate: DXT, think around v2030 etc), but the latest ones don't install =(

Bit worried about this 100 successful tests, because if it runs perfectly on nexus 7 for example, there could be 100 successful tests without it even working on anything else. Hopefully the 100 tests are spread around a variety of hardware.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited January 2014
    We've got a pretty decent spread. @Faydark, do you know where the failure is occurring? Does it say "App did not install" or "Could not download APK"?

Also, check your device's available memory; the app is ~460 MB, so you'll need at least that much available internal storage.
    edited January 2014
    @Dee I've sent the logcat via the Testflight reply email. "Application not installed" is the text on the dialog, but I think the error code in the log file was -22. (Not that I can find any reference to that on Google).

I have about 13GB free space at the moment. I've uninstalled the previous version I had installed etc..

I'll do some debugging over the weekend and see if I can figure it out.
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    Glad to see we finally seem to get somewhere with android. And if you should need another tester with an asus memopad fhd10 available... i'd be happy to help.:-)
  • RonnaannRonnaann Member Posts: 48
    Managed to have a successful test on my galaxy s3! Awesome work beamdog!
    edited January 2014
    @Dee Testflight for Android is pretty wonky. Even though it downloads the apk to a local folder, it doesn't seem to remember that it did that.. so it has to download it every time I click Install in the Testflight app. (which takes ages).

So after the initial attempt to Install from Testflight failed, in order to get the logcat dump I hooked it up to my PC and tried to manually install the downloaded apk directly from the download folder via my tablets file manager, and it appears that is what was causing the -22 error. (Which I finally managed to track down, is apparently INSTALL_FAILED_VERIFICATION_FAILURE). This seems to be a common problem with (at least) this file manager ES File Explorer, so I think we can ignore this case. Sorry for the red herring.

So I went back to Testflight and downloaded it again and did the install that way. Still got the "Application not installed" dialogue, but the logcat dump was different. The error is now: 0. Weeeee!

D/InstallAppProgress(30793): Installation error code: 0

Also, there's a bunch of stuff in the logcat from the Testflight app, so hopefully some of that made its way to you guys.
    @Dee Success!

In case anyone else strikes this, here is how I resolved it.

1) I turned off my tablet via the "Power Off" menu.
    2) I turned it back on
    3) I then went to Settings -> Apps -> Testflight and cleared the cache (but not the data).
    4) Opened Testflight app and tapped Install
    5) Followed the usual process from there (wait for download, tap Install on popup etc).

Off I go to talk to Gorion!
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    @Dee You said you get reports through the app. Is it still helpful to reply to the email with feedback?

I guess there isn't an NDA :)
  • HoboJoe0858HoboJoe0858 Member Posts: 36
    Works pretty good on my HTC One X.
  • MrDaaarkMrDaaark Member Posts: 7
    pandacake said:

feels like these 100tests are going very slow considering each 1 can be completed in like 2 minutes if you do a quick zoom in and out and run straight to Gorion spamming the chat

I haven't played Baldur's Gate 1 before, so it was unclear who Gorion was, and trying to find out would only result in getting dumped from the app. On my first playthrough I went into the Inn and had a conversation with the brightly covered nobleman and then got dumped when I went upstairs. I figured that was a successful test, and that was several days ago.

The first time I opened the app, I got dumped for clicking on something outside, so I never bothered not going into the inn again. It wasn't until today I realized I had to go have that conversation at the castle entrance and watch until the TEST SUCCESSFUL dialog popped up.
  • RookrockRookrock Member Posts: 18
    @dee there were several times where I go straight to Gorian, run through the fight and just before Gorian dies, I get booted out due to out of bounds. I've only gotten successful message twice that I can think of.
  • rkp71rkp71 Member Posts: 16
    *sigh's impatiently*
    Aristillius
    rkp71 said:

*sigh's impatiently*

*crosses legs the other way*

Xcidium
  • acTpoacTpo Member Posts: 1
    Maybe it'll be smart decision to modify "out of borders" message for the next betatest phase with more straightforward recommendation - what to do during testing. I think, a lot of testers stopped on this message, thinkin that testing is over on that point.
  • XcidiumXcidium Member Posts: 22
    rkp71 said:

*sigh's impatiently*

OT, but my boss' Golden Retriever sighs quite noisily when it doesn't get its own way. Highly amusing to watch. Not that you're doing that. Just sayin. : )

• etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Seriously, how have we not reached 100 successful tests by now???

Get'r done!!!
    robs76crAristillius
  • MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    While I wait I have been playing Silent Hill Downpour and Dragon Age Origins. I forgot how much I liked DA:O

I am really shocked it hasnt reached 100 tests compleated, im agreeing that some people must of stopped at an out of bounds message
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    I want in on the beta test, could have done 5 runs with different hardware. We love #android in our house.

I agree how could there no it be 100\100 by now? Its crazy... On iPad I think they got 100/100 in like 2 days.

I guess people who managed to sign up for the bets don't read emails or have the time.
    if they would accept multiple runs from same person id happily do 100 myself tomorrow =D
This discussion has been closed.