Skip to content

Phase I: Performance Test

Comments

• solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    I wonder that since there was a good amount of time between sign ups and the start of the beta(a month?) people just forgot that they had signed up and the emails with the beta link either went ignored or straight into peoples spam folder. Has there been anyone in this thread that flat out can't play beta or complete the test? Doesn't look like it to me since peoples problems seemed to have got sorted out. I think we would hear more voices if people were actually testing the beta and unable to finish the test. Maybe 57 more beta spots need to just happen to open up in the next day or so, I'm sure there would be plenty of people to jump at the chance.
  • DannyBarkleyDannyBarkley Member Posts: 50
    Taking forever to get to 100 completed tests - might be a good idea to open up for some more signups?
    Seems like loads of us are willing to help out.
  • MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    solod said:

I wonder that since there was a good amount of time between sign ups and the start of the beta(a month?) people just forgot that they had signed up and the emails with the beta link either went ignored or straight into peoples spam folder. Has there been anyone in this thread that flat out can't play beta or complete the test? Doesn't look like it to me since peoples problems seemed to have got sorted out. I think we would hear more voices if people were actually testing the beta and unable to finish the test. Maybe 57 more beta spots need to just happen to open up in the next day or so, I'm sure there would be plenty of people to jump at the chance.

@solod I'm guessing they probably based their picks for the Beta tests on different percentages of the devices they wanted to test on (Nexus, HTC, Samsung Note and Galaxy, etc.), but I have to say I am confused. For such a short test, what could be taking so long to complete this section of the testing? If another Nexus 7 is needed, I would be happy to try it!
  • Demon_mkIIDemon_mkII Member Posts: 1
    any way to get added to the beta now?, running nexus 7 2012 version and would be happy to test for the beta
    I'd happily dig out an old tablet so I could test on 3 devices total. Surely there's loads of demand to be on the beta, so I don't understand why we're at 43/100 on the preliminary hardware test.
    Can only imagine it's because of the Christmas break.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    Ive already run this test on 2 devices successfully. I might have to run it on my S3 as well to bump up the successful test count.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    As much as I'd love to help with testing again, a certain company (*cough*Google*cough*) has yet to release their new large tablet I want, and the only other Android device I have is my phone.
  • duncanwpduncanwp Member Posts: 1
    @Dee It does seem to make sense to open it more widely if you're struggling to get completed tests.

I've a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Sony Xperia Tablet S that I would be more than happy to test this on!
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2014
    duncanwp said:

@Dee It does seem to make sense to open it more widely if you're struggling to get completed tests.

I've a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Sony Xperia Tablet S that I would be more than happy to test this on!

In our house we have the following -

Nexus 7,
    Nexus 10,
    Samsung Tablet 10.1,
    Kurio 10 Tablet,
    Samsung Galaxy S3 & S4 (I know its not meant to be played on phones though).

So please open up the beta applications again...
  • k8eycatk8eycat Member Posts: 21
    I would love to help with the testing, but I keep missing the sign-up windows. Is the issue maybe that people are consistantly failing the test, not that they don't have enough people who are bothering to take it?
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Ya sign me up as well - I have 4 android devices that I could run the test on.
  • pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    im guessing its mixture of people getting a fail and thinking the test is over and people who have access and not realizing or caring, i done the test straight away and assumed itd have 100 completions in a day or 2 specially with a weekend since it started.

they really should just consider opening it to everyone as plenty of people have posted here saying they haven't got a chance and want to, hopfully itd open it up to enough people who would test instantly and make it shoot to 100
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    There's a slight problem with opening it up to everyone; as far as I am aware, TestFlight has a developer tester limit of 1000 people. If they leave it open indefinitely, someone needs to sift through the applications - which still means that not everyone will be able to get in on it. If they do it for Android, iOS users will probably expect similar treatment (I know I would). It's one big management headache waiting to happen.

A better tactic, if Beamdog thinks it is going too slowly (as they ultimately have more information than we do), would be to send out a reminder e-mail to those who have yet to complete the test.
    They could at least open it up to another ~50 people, which should get the test done.
    Or maybe there's some other issue we're not aware of.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    People who are engaged and interested would have probably mentioned they are on this and the previous thread already. So there's your best quality pot of potential beta-testers if the group size is to be increased.
    Any news to share @Dee?
  • rkp71rkp71 Member Posts: 16
    Wtf? Lol... They apparently can't even test android properly. No suprise since it's over a year late already. Maybe hire an android person, then they would have one person that would... Eh nevermind.
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2014
    @ rkp71 please don't get THIS thread locked. That would really suck. You might end up taking out the only way we have of getting info for the Android beta :)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    As Trent has mentioned the issue is not Android, the issue is shoehorning 15 year old code into an APK format which is then usable by a wide range of Android devices.

The testing is progressing, slightly slower than some folks may have hoped for but progressing nevertheless.
    I don't think there were more than 10 successful tests completed over the weekend. I personally would have expected that number to be far higher.

I think we can fairly safely say that this performance test build works fine for those people who are actually frequenting this thread (I haven't seen a comment yet saying someone had a problem that was directly related to the purpose of the test). The problem must be because several people are not downloading the build after having been invited or they are assuming they have completed the test after they have "wandered out of the bounds of the test". These people probably are not reading this thread.

Also look at this thread - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/27332/interested-in-testing-out-the-ipad-version-apply-here - it seems several people who signed up for the iPad beta's have been receiving invites to participate in the Android beta when they haven't even registered an Android device. If there are are a large number of invited beta testers who do not even have the hardware to participate in the test then logically that will impact on the potential number of successful tests.

To add to this there does seem to be a reasonable number of people posting in this thread who are not signed up beta testers (I think I've counted maybe 10 who missed the sign-up and who knows how many valid devices they have between them). It seems to me that the only reasonable way to increase the quantity of successful tests is (as others have said) to increase the size of the tester pool.
  • Dice42Dice42 Member Posts: 55
    Since we've heard nothing since last week, it could well be moving on, but the number hasnt been updated on the forum, for all we know there's been a few issues that they're resolving. Lets not assume every completed test is successful.
    Let's wait and hear what the hold up is before suggesting solutions.

That said if they want to reopen the invitations i'm here :D
  • MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    @Dee What is the word? How fairs the troops?
    That's good to hear @Dee :) I assume from your comments that a complete test does not equal a successful test as @Dice42 suggested?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    A complete test is a successful one, yes. If you don't get to the end of the prologue, it doesn't show up in our system.

However, the existence of 44 successful tests does not preclude the existence of one or more failed tests--though I'm happy to report that so far we haven't seen any actual crashes.
    Dee said:

We're getting some good feedback. Our programmers are working this week to fix some of the issues we found, and we're also looking at a better way to keep the testing more fluid (so that you don't get "out of bounds" every time you try to equip a long sword, for instance). I hesitate to give any sort of time-frame due to the nature of what's being done, but we're making good progress, and some nice improvements as well.

Just start the test at the Gorion convo so there's no choice :-p
  • pandacakepandacake Member Posts: 39
    thanks for the update dee
  • atomicsnowmanatomicsnowman Member Posts: 31
    wigglesg said:

I think we can fairly safely say that this performance test build works fine for those people who are actually frequenting this thread (I haven't seen a comment yet saying someone had a problem that was directly related to the purpose of the test).

Well, I've been testing on Nexus 10 and it's giving me spotty performance. Doesn't mater how long it's been on, sometimes I"ll play through and get choppy/stuttering graphics and sometimes it'll be smooth.

@Dee would it be useful for me to try to complete the test run when it is a bit rough again? I bought the N10 when I heard BG was coming out for Android and hopefully I won't need to upgrade. If not, I can certainly handle slightly lower framerate. Seeing as the computers I played it on when it was a new game were barely able to handle it. :)
  • shiftedshifted Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2014
    I would have like to test it. The game has been delayed for so long that I had not been checking the site often at all, not even monthly. Just saw today that a test has come and gone. I have a 2012 and a 2013 Nexus 7 I'd be willing to test if anymore of these open up. Thankfully these two tablet have had testers though.
This discussion has been closed.