Skip to content

What does Christmas mean to you?

NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
Hello everyone!

As most of us know already, Christmas is only three days away. (Yikes!) So I was curious to hear what some of you have to say about this time of year. :) What is Christmas all about (Charlie Brown)? What do you value the most--the shopping, the lights, the little baby Jesus statue in the manger? Or is it more about the little things, like spending time with loved ones, or watching the snow fall in the night?

And if you don't celebrate Christmas, for whatever reason, what holidays do you celebrate instead? Share with us! Maybe you're Jewish and enjoy the flickering candles of Hanukkah instead. Or maybe you're atheist and don't do much of anything--that's okay too! There are no judgments here; just the chance to share your thoughts as we draw closer to this time of year. :)

For me, I'm not much of the religious-type, so while I admit that Jesus was a cool dude, he doesn't take my Christmas's center stage. For me, it's about spending as much time with my family as I can. Not just my parents and siblings, but my boyfriend's family, my friends, my relatives in other states... They're all precious to me, and I find that Christmas is one of the few days of the year where we can all come together somehow. I also love giving presents to those closest to me (something I've only started doing for the past few years XD), from the small to the extravagant. Although you won't see me anywhere on Black Thursday Friday; no gift is worth getting stampeded over. >_>;;

Share, discuss, and be merry! Rejoice! :D

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    What does Christmas mean to me? Some free time and opportunity to bond some more with my family. I don't care about religious aspect of it.

Also, it's nice that at least for those three days people aren't acting like total pricks.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I totally agree with @Shandyr I would like to be alone, I like being with my family, but when there is a reason more than being together, I dislike this things a lot, I really care very little about everything but not myself, but, having only 14 freaking years, 14 and I'll be awaaaaaaay!!!!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    @Shandyr Absolutely. As I said, this is a thread to be free of judgments and share your thoughts. You are very brave to do so. I commend you for that, and I hope just writing out your feelings has helped you a little. I'm glad I could at least provide you a place to do so. *hugs*
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Im gone eat some good food and gain some weight,then I'm gone drink some fire dragon BOOZE!!!.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Shandyr said:

Please do not read this, if you don't want your mood to be ruined...

... that said Christmas means for me the ultimate time of pretending .

On Christmas I have to be happy, because who would be sad on Christmas?
    I lament that I do not even have the choice to be happy or to be sad.
    It is Christmas, so it is natural and for granted to feel happy.

You tell people you are not happy? Then you're doing what I just do now.
    You (that is I in this case) ruin the mood of other people.

Next: Being alone on Christmas: whoever would want that? I DO
    So much I cannot even find words to express that.

I would so LOVE to finally be free on Christmas, to NOT have to visit my family.
    Yes, no one can force me to visit them. But there will be consequences.

And as much as I dislike having to visit my family on Christmas, the consequences of not doing that would much worse.
    Not even for me alone.

My mother's heart and my grandmother's heart would break if they read this.
    But that is my problem: I have to always keep them happy.

They love me so they always have the right to express their worries. And they're always worrying about me.
    In fact it feels like they never trust me with anything. And they can always justify giving me that feeling because they just love me. That justifies everything.

"Are you happy" Yes
    "Are your studies going well?" Of course
    "Have you found friends at your university?" Yes, a lot
    and so on

Never admit that you ever feel bad. Never admit a failure. Just always keep them happy. Tell them what they want, NEED, to hear, so that they stop worrying. If I ever told them that I may not be happy, they can justify their worrying even better.

So I take it back. I do not actually want to be alone. I want to be somewhere, where I can feel and act like myself.
    My Christmas Thread is a poor attempt to bring at least a little Christmas spirit to me, because I already dread the thought of
    visiting my family. I always do. It usually starts at the begin of December that I'm getting this awkward feeling...

I am very sorry for writing this. I'm just a human being. I rather write this than collapse of the immense emotional pressure.

How could a child ever tell their mother not to want to visit her on Christmas?
    That's one of the cruelest thing a child could do.

It's Christmas. Christmas is not about oneself. It's about other people.
    So my gift for my mother is my happiness.

Once again, I apologize for ruining your mood with this. But my choice is to do this and let off some steam or risk to collapse during my visit. It just helps writing this and I don't even want to know what I would do if I had no place to write this down...
    Similar situation here really. My mum made it clear that her happiness comes first so I should basically lie or keep my mouth shut about any problems I might be having so as not to upset her. I moved out of the country so now I never have to come to the 'family' for Christmas, which is good because it was a tiring, boring charade that always left me with a bad feeling.
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    hey cool people are complaining about christmas without being pooped on.

If you work retail it sucks and if you are a new employee it sucks even harder not being able to get the few days before christmas off so you have to travel on xmas day.

I love secret santa, but with my family it's always a gamble because even though we put price suggestions and make lists of what kind of things we want, my grandma will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS gift her person something broken from the remate (flea market or swap meet) that she probably got for like 3 dollars. We tell her every year no don't do that, and she doesn't and then she gets mad when people complain about her gifts. Um, no I dont want a stained lamp shaped like a trumpet for xmas, really.

Christmas music is the worst seriously.

Also, family that tries to give you advice about your career or major choices. Um you never graduated from college and are unemployed and have children and I'm pretty sure you smoke weed on the side, please don't tell me how to live my life.

But it's still nice to see relatives and cousins and the food is always great, so that part of Christmas is nice.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I will be traveling to my home town to see my mother and little brother as well as friends.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    For me it means another year older. Happy birthday me.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    When I was little it meant presents! These days it just means some free time off work.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Wilbur said:

Since my daughter was born (she's 4 years old now) I kind of relive my own childhood every christmas. There's nothing better than seeing the pure joy in her eyes when she is opening her presents or when she sees Santa in person. He is coming to visit our home tomorrow. That is gonna be exciting (for me too) ;)

This is really true for me as well. I was with some of the posters here and didn't really enjoy my (in my mind) forced family time for Christmas when i was younger, but now, with kids, the magic happens all over again, except even more special, since i am now the one causing the brightness to glow in their eyes and enjoying every minute of it. (save for the excited yelling waking me much much too early)

I also enjoy my family much more now than when i was younger, mostly b/c i accepted who they are and love them despite anything i find less than perfect. Hopefully the same happens for those posters above.

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    It's my birthday. Funny how people always find it "sad" for me that I don't get separate gifts for Christmas & birthday. I never understood people's obsession with presents. Can't we just have a good time with friends & family without the present stuff?
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    I have a lot of mixed feelings about Christmas. When I was very young, it was my favorite time of the year, and we had established a lot of wonderful traditions. By the time I was about five or six, however, several tragedies had occurred in my family, and we simply didn't really celebrate it afterward. I think we stopped even putting up a Christmas tree or decorations by the time I was in high school. I don't consciously associate negative feelings with the holiday, but I don't feel the need to celebrate it.

Now that I'm more than 8,000 miles from my family and haven't been home for Christmas in years, I look at it as a time that I would like to do exactly that. Since I was recently married, I'm also hoping--like @Wilbur and @Qbert--that I will be able to eventually bring back some of the magic I felt when I was young by giving it to my own child in the future. That's still likely years away, though.

One other way I've started to see Christmas--and I hope I can establish this as one of my own family traditions--is a time to help others. I'd like to spend some time simply volunteering, or giving away food or other necessities to people who haven't been as lucky as I have. It seems like the world could use a bit more of that rather than dozens of presents for people who already have so much...
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    For me christmas is an awesome time of year :) I love the food, the relaxed mood and the presents (I dont have too many to buy for). I am not religious at all so it is purely tradition for me - yet a tradition i value a lot.

Still, I definately see that christmas can be a difficult or mixed-feelings type of holiday. Especially the pressure about having a "wonderful jolly time" - at all times. Even I can get tired of that, and I love christmas!
    I hope everyone here on the forum has a peaceful christmas (unless you want action all year long that is ;) )
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Christmas and Black Friday are grim reminders of why I hate working retail.

With that said I've been working during the holidays for so many years (especially when I was in the military,) the spirit of it all is more or less gone. When I get home I just want to sleep.

On the plus side, I get to spend time with family who I haven't seen in a while. Not to mention all the great pot luck food every brings. Since I'm working Christmas Eve I figure I'd show up after work with some White Castle sliders. That's festive, right?

Also, every year my cousins and I do this thing called a White elephant gift exchange. Basically everyone buys something random, puts it all under the tree, and then each person selects a random gift. Hilarity usually ensues.

This was my gift that one of my poor cousins got last year =p:

This is my gift for some poor sap this year:

If you can't tell what it is (I don't know why my phone took it upside down,) it's supposed to be a racist gift basket. We're Filipino and all the items in the basket are food items normally associated with Filipino culture. I got the inspiration from when I heard comedian Gabriel Iglesias tell a story of how he and a friend made a racist gift basket for their black friend (suffice to say, a little racy, but ultimately hilarious.)

Eggnog -makes vomiting noises-
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Also, it's nice that at least for those three days people aren't acting like total pricks.

Someone doesn't work retail.
    ~

Everything you know about Christmas is a lie.

It's the time when Christians celebrate the birth of a Jewish savior by receiving gifts beneath a pagan tree from an obese German trespasser. (not mine but fits nicely on how I think of the holiday)

With that said, I have learnt to enjoy Christmas. I enjoy being thankful for the people that I have in my life, spending a day with them and leaving the hassle of daily life behind.

Boxing day on the other hand....
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    It doesn't mean anything to me any more.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

It doesn't mean anything to me any more.

I have tried to recreate it, to spark it anew in my memory. But it is gone... a hollow, dead thing. For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then nothing.

oh man, how awesome would a Grinch/Irenicus be?
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    nano said:

I have tried to recreate it, to spark it anew in my memory. But it is gone... a hollow, dead thing. For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then nothing.

Once my thirst for power was everything... And now I hunger only for Christmas! And I... WILL... HAVE IT!
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    A day to get a santa hat.
    No, really it is a good day to meet good ppl. Including family.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    On topic... I enjoy it. My family doesn't take it too seriously, which I think has kept me from becoming jaded. It's just a time when everyone gets a break and we finally can all get together and eat food! My parents usually save up the "good restaurants" for when we're all home so I really look forward to that.
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    I hear all the complaints of the retail folk! Serving food is a master class in patience. Though, to be fair, going out to eat on that day is much the same...

But I get to watch my Lakers play and wear my Lakers Santa hat and that always brings a smile to my face. Presents are fun, especially when you can be proud of the gifts you buy. And this time of year my old friends come back into town which is always a blast.

Also, working on that day really helps take the stress off a "perfect Christmas" because figuring out how to just HAVE a Christmas means the specialness is just in the having. Don't get me wrong, I wish I was 10 again and in awe of everything, but it's nice now...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Christmas to me means spending time with family and giving gifts that matter. I have a friend whose studying in the UK. His parents aren't coming to visit him over the holidays so he's basically all alone (or he has a few people he has met while there but nobody he has known for more than a few months). Anyways, knowing this I spent 6 hours in a lineup earlier in december so that I could get him a signed Rob Ford bobblehead (and shipped it to him). Its the kind of gift he would get a kick out of. Just a little (or large) gift from home for him :)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    deltago said:

Someone doesn't work retail.
    ~

Everything you know about Christmas is a lie.

It's the time when Christians celebrate the birth of a Jewish savior by receiving gifts beneath a pagan tree from an obese German trespasser. (not mine but fits nicely on how I think of the holiday)
    Greek. Saint Nicholas of Myra was Greek and served as Archbishop in Turkey. His name in Dutch in Sinterklass, which become Santa Claus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

And that Jewish savior was Middle Eastern, not white like most churches like to represent in their iconography. In other words, he looked like what most Christians would call today "Dangerous Dark Muslims".

As for me, I am also an Atheist. I like helping people and making them feel good. I am dangerously soft-hearted myself- one person treating me like shit can make me upset and leave me crying for a day afterwards, especially if it is someone I consider a friend, or even just "a friend over the internet". I don't take 'jokes' well at all, especially if it's a mean-spirited one. And the reason why being I got teased a lot as a child, and I have very few walls to people I consider my friends. If I don't know you, I don't care about your opinion- but otherwise, like I said, I am a dangerously soft target.

Anyhow, back to my views on Christmas. I like spending time with my friends, and it's them I want to make happy. My family is mostly gone, except for my Dad, and most of the rest are just horrible people and users who I wouldn't want to spend time with anyway. My friends are a family I chose, and want to spend time with, and there are precious few of those as well. I do give them gifts, which I choose according to what I know they want or need. I hope they do the same for me.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Don't really care about any sort of holiday. My spouse and I visit her family on Xmas, that's pretty much it. We sometimes purchase something together as a "mutual gift", but that's more because you can get things cheaper around the holidays than because we need a special time of year to give a gift.

Feel the same about birthdays, really. It's a good excuse to do some baking, but otherwise not really emotionally attached to a very arbitrary day.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @LadyRhian: It's 'Sinterklaas', actually. :p

Anyway, geez, this topic is depressing. It gives me the feeling a lot of people just don't even try to give the day a meaningful thought, a chance, even. For me, Christmas is the most special day of the year. I really am looking towards it at all times. I just love everything about it: Christmas tree, presents, the warm, cozy feeling, the decorations and lights... And especially snow. Which didn't occur this year in my country, sadly. All of these people complaining about their families...be happy you got a family in the first place. A lot of people can't say the same, are all alone and have it much worse than having to work on Christmas. Anyway, Christmas was kinda sad for me this year, because I had to study for my exams and thus could not fly over to my boyfriend's place. Same with New Year's. I even got ill. But guess what, I still stayed cheerful, because I just love Christmas that much, despite many delusional people thinking otherwise.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Shandyr: Yeah, re-reading my post indeed makes me feel I spoke a bit too harshly, as I can't judge everyone's situation and bond with their family. Just like I don't know what makes Christmas seemingly such a horrible day for you personally. I just see it as a symbol of happiness and fuzzyness, I'm old-fashioned and naive like that. :p But hey, as I said, my Christmas wasn't perfect either. I had exams to study for, was ill at the time, and couldn't get to meet my boyfriend. I still tried to stay cheerful, though, even if I felt sad inside. I guess it was just a way to deal with things. New Year's wasn't better, for the record. But somehow, those days are very special to me, even more special than Easter or Halloween, both of which I love very much too. I'd like those days to keep having that special meaning. I respect other people's situation though, and I understand not everyone sees these days as as special as I do. I'm sorry to hear you, for example, don't. These days should bring light into the dark cold days, not sadden you further. :( *hugs*