Skip to content

Are there any opponents that need a +5 weepon to hit them?

hiho,
i know there are a few oponents like kangaxx that need +4 to be able to hit them? but has the EE of bg2 inroduced an opponent who needs a +5?

Feroz

Comments

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Maybe demogorgon?
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Previously, the only opponent who needed +5 was the demilich you got from the Deck of Many Things if you were (un)lucky.

Demogorgon didn't need +5 in BGII, and I bet he doesn't need +5 in BGIIEE, either. Could be wrong, of course.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    Mellisan in Ascension?
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    The demon in underdark I think. I had to melfs/energy blade him to death.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Koyote said:

The demon in underdark I think. I had to melfs/energy blade him to death.

Pretty sure he dies to +3. My party made short work of him in my most recent playthrough, with Dorn and Korgan doing much of the work with +3 weapons.
    @Madhax Odd. I had an arsenal of +3 and +4 and couldn't hurt him. I didn't let him have the eggs, did you?
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2013
    I think Madhax is talking about the demon the gnomes ask you to kill. I didn't even know you could attack the lesser demon lord.

Anyway, any mage using Absolute Immunity is gonna need +5. Not sure if anyone other than Irenicus uses that though.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, I thought you meant the Pit Fiend the gnomes ask you to kill. I've never fought the Demon Lord, I've always either sent him away or given him the eggs. My mistake.
    @enqenq I don't remember how I provoked the fight (I think I just attacked him). It did turn fairly epic once I realized I wasn't hurting him and there was no way out. :-)
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    The demon bothering the Svirfneblin in the Underdark most certainly does not need +5 weapons to hit. +3 does just fine.

To reiterate, the *only* one needing +5 is the demilich from the Deck of Many Things. Things may change, of course, when high level mages cast spells...
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    Kangaxx in demilich form (skull) requires +5 weapon to hit.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Aramintai said:

Kangaxx in demilich form (skull) requires +5 weapon to hit.

No, he doesn't. +4 is enough.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Kangaxx only needs a +4 weapon to hit in Demilich form, hence the popular early-game choice of the Staff of Rhynn to kill him, @Aramintai.
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    Really? Never really used that staff. +4 weapons are rare as well early in the game. But it's nice to know I don't have to kill a dragon just to kill a demilich :)
    Are there any other early +4 weapons except those in Watcher's keep?
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Aramintai said:

Really? Never really used that staff. +4 weapons are rare as well early in the game. But it's nice to know I don't have to kill a dragon just to kill a demilich :)

If outside Watcher's Keep doesn't count as in it, the Firetooth Crossbow is +4 (and doesn't need ammo) and is available from the shop at the top of the place before you go in. Joluv sells the Sling of Everard, which is +5 and available in the Copper Coronet.

Melf's Minute Meteors are also a +5 weapon and the spell is available in the Promenade at the start of the game.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    vangoat said:

Mellisan in Ascension?

I seem to recall Ascension Melissan needing +5 until you kill the one of the Five empowering her (Abazigal, maybe?) and then she can be hit with +3. But given her love of Absolute Immunity you really want +6.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Aramintai said:

The Staff of Rynn, you can buy it at Ribald's I think. Pretty cheap for a +4 weapon, too. Somewhere around 20 grand, give or take, depending on your reputation. My Kensai -> Thief had a great time with that staff, used it for most of the SOA. It was as soon as I bought that staff, I went after Kangaxx.

Aramintai said:

The Staff of Rynn, you can buy it at Ribald's I think. Pretty cheap for a +4 weapon, too. Somewhere around 20 grand, give or take, depending on your reputation. My Kensai -> Thief had a great time with that staff, used it for most of the SOA. It was as soon as I bought that staff, I went after Kangaxx.
    That was the weapon the post you quoted was talking about! He was asking about other weapons.
  • FlowFlow Member Posts: 21
    Not really a weapon you can find in the early game. But a cleric of helm can cast seeking sword from level 1 onwards which counts as a +4 weapon.

Not sure if there are any enchant spells that give you a +4 weapon. (except the floating sword lvl 7 spell)
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Flow said:

Not sure if there are any enchant spells that give you a +4 weapon. (except the floating sword lvl 7 spell)

Black Blade of Disaster (Level 9 Arcane) grants a +5, although the Sorcerers.net spell reference says the .itm file actually has a +6 enchantment. Good luck getting a scroll for that in Chapters 2-3.

• FerozbanFerozban Member Posts: 31
    Thankx for all the comments.
    So basically as i see it, in a vanilla bg2ee without mods or magic spells, there is only one single opponent which by nature a +5 weapon enemy. the lich from the card-game.

i have to try to get him :D
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Any enemy with Improved Mantle (Level 8 spell) active require a +5 weapon to hit (or require the dispell of the protection to hit it). As any Absolute immunity protected enemy need a +6 weapon to hit.
    @Ferozban I went back and checked old guides. The drow summoned demon in underdark also requires +5 to hit and is probably a lot more fun to battle then a demilich.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    Edit: Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong file :)

Theres a creature file Demlord.cre that is for a Lessor Demon Lord which is immune to +5 weapons and lower. I'm assuming its for one that relates to Watcher's Keep (the underdark one is Uddemon.cre).
    Post edited by elminster on
    Koyote said:

@Ferozban I went back and checked old guides. The drow summoned demon in underdark also requires +5 to hit and is probably a lot more fun to battle then a demilich.

I tested this theory out this playthrough but when i attacked him I lost out on the reward for the quest and I couldn't even get the option to give him the real eggs...

I blasted him with some energy blades and he went right down though...

kryptix said:

Koyote said:

I tested this theory out this playthrough but when i attacked him I lost out on the reward for the quest and I couldn't even get the option to give him the real eggs...

I blasted him with some energy blades and he went right down though...

Energy Blades being effectively "Melf's Huge Goddamn Meteors", this doesn't surprise me - I enjoy beating the Ravager (who may need +4? Or is +3 okay?) by having 5 of my characters equip them and blitzing him.
  • FerozbanFerozban Member Posts: 31
    Koyote said:

Thank you. i was lucky to be in the drow city at the moment to test it and its true.

i could only hit him with sling of everaad and my mage with melfs meteroids (which count as +5 as well)

any +4 weapon was ineffective.

it was a great fight really. and totally unexpected to meat such a challenge so soon in the game. i mean he needs fucking +5 weapon to be killed, what if you dont have any around :P

no wonder the drow want him to join their battle
    Ferozban said:

Koyote said:

Thank you. i was lucky to be in the drow city at the moment to test it and its true.

i could only hit him with sling of everaad and my mage with melfs meteroids (which count as +5 as well)

any +4 weapon was ineffective.

it was a great fight really. and totally unexpected to meat such a challenge so soon in the game. i mean he needs fucking +5 weapon to be killed, what if you dont have any around :P

no wonder the drow want him to join their battle
    I tried it but he didn't give me any quest experience when I killed him so I just reloaded and fought the city instead... I think the whole drow city with SCS is by far the hardest fight I've tried and I'll have to come back next time with a party that went to WK before going to the underdark to stand a chance. I hate outleveling imoen so much though...
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Aramintai said:

There's Daystar too against Evil creatures!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Daystar is the best *_*
    I love seeing how many numbers pop up when you use it on the undead. Double damage baby!