Skip to content

I'm torn between the two graphic styles

KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
I liked the BG2 style, but I also loved the BG1 style since to me looking at characters being alittle bigger seemed alright to me in my opinion, but at the same time, I loved the new look BG2 did with the armor and such, but they shrank the people lol.

Comments

• junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    there is a zoom-in/out feature
    so no worry :)
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    BG2 style = Win!
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    Old stony UI with BG1 = Amazing
    BG2 Weapons and Armor looks
    BG1 paperdolls (BG2 had the ugliest paperdolls/anything I have ever seen. Seeing an elf burned my eyes)
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    You think an elf was bad. I couldn't play a pure cleric at all in the BG2 just because of how bad the doll looked. Guy looked like he had a barrel for a chest.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    BG 1 all the way for me. The first time I played BG2 I thought something had gone wrong with my computer. All the characters were really skinny and they kept switching which hand they were holding their swords in. And every time they stopped moving they started staring up at the sky with both arms outstretched.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    I guess it's like a love-hate thing for some of us, there's just something about BG1-style that was so attractive.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    The work on BG2 characters was not to my liking, and worse than the BG1 ones, in my opinion. The animation mirroring effect should be enough to make someone cringe.

I hoped we would get the BG1 animations as optional to use, but this dual wielding issue is making things complicated.

Sigh :/
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    Graphically I like the larger, fuller character animations in BG1 much better, hands down. But the advantages of dual-wielding and kits for the whole series sold me on Tutu and BGT.

The zoom feature for BG:EE helps, I guess. The characters don't have to be tinier anymore. But I've never been been a fan of the skinnier figures in BG2.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    For me, not surprisingly, it's BG1 hands down. The bigger, better, more muscular and imposing character animations in BG1 are amazing, whereas I just *hate* those in BG2 (and I double-hate mirroring, the biggest backward step they could possibly take in animation from a technical standpoint).

Paperdolls in BG2 vie for one of the most unsighty pictures a human's eyes could stand wihtout quite liquefying (but since the game also came with hideous inventory icons to go with them, I'd wager many gamers actually had their eyes liquefied while playing).

Don't even get me started on the shields...
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

For me, not surprisingly, it's BG1 hands down. The bigger, better, more muscular and imposing character animations in BG1 are amazing, whereas I just *hate* those in BG2 (and I double-hate mirroring, the biggest backward step they could possibly take in animation from a technical standpoint).

Paperdolls in BG2 vie for one of the most unsighty pictures a human's eyes could stand wihtout quite liquefying (but since the game also came with hideous inventory icons to go with them, I'd wager many gamers actually had their eyes liquefied while playing).

The shields? what about the helmets? the BG2 helmets are a DISASTER! specially the horned helmet, which look like someone put a spear in their head..

BG1 Graphics all the way!!

• g314g314 Member Posts: 201

The shields? what about the helmets? the BG2 helmets are a DISASTER! specially the horned helmet, which look like someone put a spear in their head..

BG1 Graphics all the way!!

And the flaming swords? They look like low-quality toys. I'm just glad @Erephine fixed them for paperdolls AND in-game animated avatars. I hope modders will change avatars back to the BG1 ones asap.

We can all agree that, ideally, BGEE should be like this:

BG1 graphics + BG2 engine = WIN!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    1PP graphics will be the default. It's discussed in a thread around here somewhere :)