Skip to content

charname is a half race?

tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
I assume bhaal was born a human and so if charname is a halfling, dwarf, gnome etc isnt he half dwarf etc for race but just dont know it when the game starts?

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Bhaal was probably a shapechanger. While he may have been turned mortal and forced into corporeal form he still had some powers.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    First of all he started as mortal. Nothing speaks of him being a shapechanger.

Secondly even if he was a human shapchanger he would still be human
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    AFAIK Bhaal is not charname's biological father (there is none) and charname is just whatever race their mother was.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    afaik, it works something like this:

Bhaal was mortal
    Bhaal became god
    Bhaal foresaw his own undoing and chose to walk the realms
    Bhaal impregnated women with his divine essence, leaving small portions of his power with each baby

Thus, it's not his pre-god genetics that are used, so to speak. But his god powers, and as such his original race doesn't enter the picture. The babies are 100% of it's mother's race.. Bhaalspawn's genetic build up however is more of a mystery, as they're not clones of their mother. But i guess that's just another blank page where you fill in "divine essence"... magic 'n shit yo!
    I like your answer khyron!

I might not agree and still view it as half race but its a nice alternate view
    A caveat. Bhaal did not chose to walk, he was forced to walk
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Judst look at your siblings you meet in ToB - I think that pretty much settles it that he was decidedly multi-ethnic :)
    He was 1/16 of every race ; )
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

First of all he started as mortal. Nothing speaks of him being a shapechanger.

Secondly even if he was a human shapchanger he would still be human

Whatever he was initially probably mattered little after ascension to godhood. Granted most my D&D knowledge comes from CRPGs, but there's no shortage on examples of the gods pulling undocumented powers and abilities out of seemingly thin air, so shapeshifting isn't a huge stretch of imagination I think.

I have no idea how racial biology works with shapeshifting in D&D but I would assume that since it seemingly grants all the powers, strengths, weaknesses and abilities of whatever creature is in question that it goes all the way. So Kobold Bhaal would technically be a kobold rather than a human with an illusion spell.

All that said though I too like Khyron's view on the whole thing.
    Did not mean to steamroll your opinion silver. Its background in a fantasy. I see no impossibility with the shapechanging stuff either.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2014
    @tennisgolfboll
    From the Forgotten Realms Wiki article on Bhaal:
    "Bhaal had three avatar forms; a shape-shifting one called Kazgoroth, a human-sized one called the Slayer, and a giant called the Ravager. The Slayer appeared as a corpse-like male humanoid, whereas the Ravager was large and bestial."

From the Forgotten Realms Wiki article on Kazgaroth:
    "Kazgoroth is an aspect of Bhaal that takes the form of anything it wants to and drinks human blood, as well as feasts on human flesh. It takes down many normally powerful people, like a druid, in the book Darkwalker on Moonshae."

It's not a theory, it's an official canon fact.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Also, bhaal did his "seeding" well before the time of troubles, so he would still be a god. Attributing mortal genetics to him seems fruitless.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Bhaal foresaw his death during the Time of Troubles and willingly walked the realms before they occurred in order to create the Bhaalspawn. He wasn't forced to walk until the Time of Troubles.
    edited January 2014
    elminster said:

Bhaal foresaw his death during the Time of Troubles and willingly walked the realms before they occurred in order to create the Bhaalspawn. He wasn't forced to walk until the Time of Troubles.
    Yep in a way you are right.

But i would not call it willingly to first time either. Being forced to do it to have a chance to live on isnt willingly in the normal sense.
    Archaos said:

@tennisgolfboll
    From the Forgotten Realms Wiki article on Bhaal:
    "Bhaal had three avatar forms; a shape-shifting one called Kazgoroth, a human-sized one called the Slayer, and a giant called the Ravager. The Slayer appeared as a corpse-like male humanoid, whereas the Ravager was large and bestial."

From the Forgotten Realms Wiki article on Kazgaroth:
    "Kazgoroth is an aspect of Bhaal that takes the form of anything it wants to and drinks human blood, as well as feasts on human flesh. It takes down many normally powerful people, like a druid, in the book Darkwalker on Moonshae."

It's not a theory, it's an official canon fact.

Not what i meant as a shapechanger unless you think slayer etc had sex with all those women.

And even if check the post about how a human shapechanger is still a human. Bhaal is still bhaal even if he appears as an elf imo.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    Bhaal might well have taken on the race (or species) of whatever he was breeding with though. Remember that he wanted the children to survive, at least past their birth, so as to have essence to give.
    edited January 2014
    @tennisgolfboll
    The Kazgoroth avatar is the shape-changing one, not Slayer.

*Bhaal uses Kazgoroth avatar*
    *Kazgoroth turns into an elf*
    *Kazgoroth in elf form impregnates elf woman*
    *Elf gives birth to an elven child*
    *Repeat with every race possible*
    Simple as that.

And before anyone says that Elves need to be ~120 years to be mature, that's emotional maturity.
    A 20 year old pure-blooded Elf has the body of an adult. (Drizzt during the events of the Baldur's Gate Saga is 71 years old.)

Not what i meant as a shapechanger unless you think slayer etc had sex with all those women.

And even if check the post about how a human shapechanger is still a human. Bhaal is still bhaal even if he appears as an elf imo.

Thing is, he doesn't appear as an elf, he becomes an elf. His creature type changes, if we go by the rules.
    From the Shapechange spell: "You also gain the type of the new form in place of your own."

It's not an illusion, when he becomes an elf, he is an elf for all purposes so he can make elven children.
    edited January 2014
    Archaos said:

Thing is, he doesn't appear as an elf, he becomes an elf. His creature type changes, if we go by the rules.
    From the Shapechange spell: "You also gain the type of the new form in place of your own."

It's not an illusion, when he becomes an elf, he is an elf for all purposes so he can make elven children.
    This is were i disagree

He has changed into an elf but his dna isnt elven. No more than a werewolf is that of a wolf. No even less than that bhaal is always bhaal so all races should be half x half bhaal (or more bhaal)
    Gods don't play by the genetic rules of mortals. Bhaal's exploits occurred while he was still a god, not during the Time of Troubles. There's no reason to assume he was a human during his process.
    edited January 2014
    @tennisgolfboll

Actually his DNA would change since his type changes. Again, it's not an illusion. You turn into another creature fully and in everything, in and out unless specified (mental stats).

Let's not compare any mortal creature like a Werewolf to an avatar of a fully powered GOD.
    I believe an avatar can change its DNA when he changes forms otherwise it would be a simple illusion or lesser magic spell. Not a divine avatar dedicated to shapechanging.

Hell, even a non-epic mage with Shapechange could do that by the rules. I want to believe that Kazgoroth could do far more.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    He will change into the creature, DNA, warts and all. Keep in mind that with PnP polymorph other you had the risk of even mentally becoming the creature (well, with an int downgrade, not upgrade at least).
    Archaos said:

@tennisgolfboll

Actually his DNA would change since his type changes. Again, it's not an illusion. You turn into another creature fully and in everything, in and out unless specified (mental stats).

Let's not compare any mortal creature like a Werewolf to an avatar of a fully powered GOD.
    I believe an avatar can change its DNA when he changes forms otherwise it would be a simple illusion or lesser magic spell. Not a divine avatar dedicated to shapechanging.

Hell, even a non-epic mage with Shapechange could do that by the rules. I want to believe that Kazgoroth could do far more.

I hear you but i am still not convinced.

Even if bhaal shapechanges into x race he would still be more bhaal than x race. Hence all mainchars are x race/bhaalspawn (half race)
    edited January 2014
    @tennisgolfboll

Any fact or official source to support this theory? Except, "I just think so".
    Lore, the rules and the game itself contradicts you.

CHARNAME is already half a "race". When someone ascends to godhood, his type changes to Outsider. That's a rules fact. No arguing it.
    So you could say that a Bhaalspawn is half-outsider (divine being), half-"pure" x race.

When Bhaal ascended to godhood, he stopped being human.
    And when Kazgoroth changed his shape, he became a human/elf/dwarf etc.

From the Forgotten Realms wiki again: "Bhaalspawn mostly seemed like normal members of their race at first, so long as the race was humanoid "

How about the whole bg saga? It is pretty clear you are not just your race. From turning into ravager, hearing bhaal within both in dreams and awake? Getting special talents from your bhaal taint ? Power etc etc.

Take a long look at sarevok
    Mostly seemed like normal members of their race at first...your quote from the wiki. This quote proves MY position not your.

they MOSTLY SEEM (but are not members in a normal way of their race) at FIRST (in the end most dont even seem to be of their mothers race only)
    A vampire seems to be a normal human at first.

most bhaalspawns seemed to be human/elf/dwarf at first. Some did not. And in the end
    Almost none did.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Gods do not have to shapechange at all they're not even corporeal creatures unless they want to be they jus appear as whatever they wish. They do not need shapechange or any other spell to be whatever they want to. If anyone has any doubt about that, just remember a god will just reform after a few days if his mortal form is slain.

Trying to limit a divine creature to mortal rules just does not work. If he wants a mortal female to be pregnant all he has to do is will it. In Bhaal's case he just did that, adding a little bit of his own divine essence every time, basically making sure enough of him would survive when he died to bring him back to life.

When Bhaal died he was vulnerable, locked in mortal form with his powers severely limited by Ao's decree. If he tried to make someone pregnant in this situation then genetics would apply as he was just a mortal creature. In possession of his full godhood he could make an elf birth a dwarf if he wanted to, genetics just would not apply.
    The bhaalspawns were easily identified by their heritage by the time of tob. Their heritage (race) part from bhaal clearly seen and a war/genocide against them underway
    I'm not sure what you're saying. Many of the Bhaalspawn encountered throughout the saga would have clearly physical differences if they weren't pure members of their race. Yaga-Shura, in particular, wouldn't look anything like a Fire Giant, since half-giants are physically very different.

Being a demigod and having Bhaal powers isn't a racial trait.

Also, honest question, where does it say that Bhaal was once human? I know he was one of the "Dead Three" who got powers from the old god Jergal and underwent apotheosis, but all the Wiki said was that they were all once mortal. Nothing about actually being human. Suspension of disbelief in DnD makes it possible, but I'd guess that accumulating enough power to reasonably take on a god would take longer than a human lifespan, particularly for mortal Bhaal who was simply an assassin and not some sort of mage who might still reasonably fight in old age.