Skip to content

What do you think about BG3?

Pipe249Pipe249 Member Posts: 17
Does it really have to be launched?
  1. What do you think about BG3?139 votes
    1. Yes, it would be nice
      79.14%
    2. No need for BG3, but combining the 'BG:EE' and 'BG2:EE' in 'BG:EE Complete' would be cool
        9.35%
    3. No, since the originality of the game would be questionable, and probably the game will not bring the same "feeling" as the previous two games
      11.51%

Comments

• ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    But the only thing I think is what would be in bg3 ?? Cause in ToB you become a god ( and don't live anymore in Faerun ) or you abandon your godly power so what kind of tale could you make with a bhhalspawn who isn't really a bhaalspawn anymore ?
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Option 4) If its not about Charname and its set in Baldur's Gate, it would technically be more of a 'Baldur's Gate' game than Shadows of Amn. So provided quality work that expands on the roleplaying possibilities provided on the first two games, all with a similar but possibly improved game design (specifically the interpretation of AD&D), then nothing can go wrong.

In short, same focus, different story and I'm game.
  • Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23

But the only thing I think is what would be in bg3 ?? Cause in ToB you become a god ( and don't live anymore in Faerun ) or you abandon your godly power so what kind of tale could you make with a bhhalspawn who isn't really a bhaalspawn anymore ?

Well, in Faerun canon you stay mortal.

But remember, The Black Hound was going to be a true sequel, it had the same gameplay but updated to the maxx. If we get something like that I'm happy. Or we could play as a new Bhaalspawn, or the Ward's Love Child from that hooker in Amn. Either way, I hope for a sidequest that honours Black Isle's cancelled The Black Hound.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    I would like if the main character would be the child of the bhaalspawn and viconia or aerie or jaheira or anomen , etc. Or being a bhaalspawn who has to kill the main character from bg1 or bg2 because he's gone mad or something like that ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Neither of the no answers worked for me, but it is the direction I lean towards.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited August 2012
    Thinking about it, I'd prefer a plot unrelated to the Bhaalspawn saga, but set on the Sword Coast. Canonically, Bhaal's essence is destroyed and any remnants hidden in Celestia. There aren't really any loose ends. It was a great story, but it's *over*. It would be cool if the plot had references to the Bhaalspawn crisis but anything more than that would be simple contrivance. Plus I prefer starting at level 1 and building up a character.
    Post edited by Communard on
  • SpidersBaneSpidersBane Member Posts: 20
    Absolutely keen, would want it probably unrelated to Bhaalspawn saga though. It would be cool to be in the Sword Coast / Baldur's Gate area and starting from level 1 but being able to progress quite high also.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited August 2012
    I pretty sure absolutely nobody want a "sequel", we want a completely new storyline, hence it would be better to call it something different than baldurs gate 3.
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    @ajwz I would absolutely love a "sequel" but only if it was cleverly written to be interwove into the previous stories. Which would be a challenge due to ToB.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    edited August 2012
    Haven`t made up my mind on this one.
    I want a party based top-down isometric cRPG set in a d&d setting, i just don`t know if it`s BG3 i want.

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    umm, you've got two different answers for no, but the only yes you have is 'yeah it'd be nice' where's the yes! Yes! 1000 times Yes!!!! or something like it. It would break up those that would like it but don't mind much, and those (like me) who are quite passionate about a 3rd game in the series.

@tr_ond: I agree, but i wouldn't be adverse to a top done iso rpg in the fallout universe either. 3d doesn't seem to work for me in that game.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    If the BG:EE' and 'BG2:EE' are really nice enough , no reason no BG3
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2012
    If you give me a new game that looks and feels like Baldur's Gate and I get to start again from level one it will keep me happy for years to come.
    can boo be a party member? that alone would sell the game for me.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    It would me more than nice. It would me awesome, but only if the atmosphere of the game is preserved.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    For BG3 to work, they will have to take up a new plotline.. with a new main char.. because it would simply become to weird if they made a whole game about you being god :/

But beside that.. I just want more of that Infinity engine gaming!
    @kharas i might be mistaken but i think they said that they wouldn't use infinity engine, something about the name being a reference to how long it takes to properly code a game or some such. But so long as it isometric 2.5 d style like bg and fallout with maybe some minor 3d elements, and has the feel of the fallout/bg world, i'll be happy. even if the story isn't overly great, if the npcs are as awesome as bgt, i'll be happy.
    @Bjjorick Hmmm well.. if they aint using infinity engine.. then they better keep the feel the same at least.. Ohh and Keep away from 4th edition thank you very much!
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    Provided it is a new story told in the same universe I'm down with that.
    @kharas no 3d like fallout. If that's the case, i'll walk away (after bg 1 and 2 ee, of course)
    @Bjjorick Although I actually really liked both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I agree with you completely. There is enough "first person" rpgs out there.. we need a revival of the good old isometric days :)
    @Kharas i tried sooooo hard to like fallout 3, and it was an okay game, but it didn't feel like fallout to me. I finished it. I then played new vegas, and a rad scorpion killed me....repeatedly. And i loved it. It remined me of new vegas, but the memory of fallout 3 still lingered and i never got very far. i keep meaning to go back, but everything i think of fallout 3, i do a 180 and find some better way to spend my time, like counting the spots on my ceiling.
    That really is a shame. Fallout New Vegas is a damn great game. And it have some of the best dlc I have ever encountered in a game. The 4 different packs are very different, yet all tell damn great stories.

So really.. if you at a point dont have anything else to use your spare time on, give Fall out New vegas another try :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think that it all depends on how good the story is. If it's great, then the game will be phenomenal; if it's not, we'll as 'why, oh why did they do this?'

As for 'sequel', I'm not sure why it has to be one at all. Baldur's gate is a big place. Evil sprouts up wherever this is opportunity. killed all of the main evil threats, leaving a vacuum for new would-be evil to fill. It requires that we take up our Boots of Butt Kicking, +3, along w
    @kharas one question. give me a brief comparison between fallout 1/2 and fallout 3. I don't mean to sound a jerk but i'd like to know so i can tell how far to trust you opinion. just like what you thought the good and bad of each game was or even more basic like what you feel 3 did better/worse then part 1/2
  • cherrycoke2lcherrycoke2l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,085
    I want BG3 to be related to BG1 and BG2 in the same way as IWD2 is related to IWD 1 or NWN2 to NWN1. This means a completely different storyline, but perhaps set in the same locations (although personally, I'd be happy to see Halruaa or Evereska – since I'm an elf fanboy and love Netheril :P ).

I'm also all for Infinity Engine (or something similar – 2D in any case) and hope that if it's made, it's within AD&D or 3(.5)ED setting and rules, not that post 1374 DR crap when they start to kill off all deities.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    I'd like it if there was a Baldur's Gate 3 but if it was another CHARNAME's story. I think it can be done successfully. Look at NWN. 1 & 2 had different protagonists, stories and joinable NPCs and people were still hooked.
    BG 1 & 2 could be about the Bhaalspawn's story, BG 3 & 4 could be about a CHARNAME 50/100 years later, centered in the area around Baldur's Gate and that part of the Sword Coast.. and if we happen to get the same kind of interconnected maps that were in 1 rather than the half-dozen outdoor areas that were in 2 I'd be even happier. :D
    I think the franchise has great potential, the suits just need finish negotiations already :D
    @Bjjorick Ahhh thats a tough one... Comparing those games are really hard.. On one hand I really like the new fallout games.. but on the other hand the old ones (fallout 1 and 2) are some of the best rpgs I have ever played, and since its some time since I played them last, my memory of them is probably colored by nostalgia.

1 and 2 made the basic for the gameworld, they have fantastic histories, the humor is great and the random encounters alone have made my day more than once. I prefer the isometric view of the old games to the new "first person" view. And especially when it comes to fallout 3 the grey on grey enviroment got on my nerves in the long run.

On the plus side, for the new games that is, I think they have gotten the fallout humor just right, especially if you have the "wild wasteland"-perk. It adds some of those whacky encounters that I really loved in the original games. I also really like their take on the roaming around in the wasteland. But once again I find that New Vegas do it better.. simply because there are so many damn buildings blocking your way, in Fallout 3. One thing I think Fallout 3 does better though, is the radio stations.. 3 Dog is just so damn great. New Vegas man in New Vegas try to pick up the torch.. but at least in my oppinion he is still abit from it.

Of the 2 new games, Fallout New Vegas is the best without a doubt. The enviroment changes some, and that at least is important for me. And funny that you mention it.. I also had an encounter or 2 with rad scorpions just east of the starting village.. running like a little girl, is probably the best description of my tactic with that encounter...

I also like the ending in Fallout New vegas better.. Without spoiling it.. I find that you can tailor it more to your personal liking.

But as I started out saying.. judging between these games are rather hard. Fallout 1 and 2 were some of the best games I played back then.. and espcially New Vegas are one of the better new games I have played.

I hope this ramble gave you an idea of, if you should try out new vegas or not :)
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    It suxs... what a question!
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    The question is, would they make BG3 in their "new" Infinity Engine, or will they make a brand new engine?...