Skip to content

Who's your favorite non-BG videogame character?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
Hey! Like some of you, I don't play many video-games outside of Baldur's Gate (and other Infinity Engine games). Other games seem... lame by comparison, and the characters aren't as loveable for me.
Yet there must be some out there that people think are super cool. I'd like to see what you guys think, so please share :). What characters are awesome in games outside of the Forgotten Realms?
They can be anything, from serious, well written characters to goofy fun characters.
:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2014
    Let's see... I do play quite a few jrpg's, but while there have been a few characters I've liked while playing those, I tend to forget about them shortly after I've finished. They're okay, but despite the often ridiculous and impractical outfits, I've not found any very memorable.

But I think Ezio Auditore from Assassins Creed. Well written for a game character, and if you play all those games and watch the short films released through PSN/Xbox, players get to follow him right from the moment of his birth until his death. Even before Assassins Creed 3 came out, there was hate and criticism from fans directed at the new main character, and a lot of that was just because Ezio was always going to be an almost impossible act to follow.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Some that I like, not counting blank-slate protagonists that you give substance on your own:

- Clementine from The Walking Dead (honestly, no other video game character in the history of gaming has provoked that kind of emotional response from me)
    - Ryu Hayabusa from the Ninja Gaiden series
    - HK-47 and Bastila Shan from Knights of the Old Republic (I'm always a sucker for the voice work of Jennifer Hale (Mazzy and Dynaheir), but this is imo her greatest performance ever)
    - Raiden (believe it or not) and EVA from the Metal Gear Solid series
    - Guybrush Threepwood from the Monkey Island series
    - Auron from FFX
    - Alistair from Dragon Age
    - Several NPCs from the Mass Effect series, maybe most notably the ones that are with you from the start: Garrus, Wrex, Tali etc

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    - King II and Julia Chang from Tekken series. If I ever will have a crush on a videogame character, it will be Julia Chang. And I like King because he inspired me in Tekken 5. Besides, when I use either Julia or King, I usually win against my friends, which is always nice.

- Abe from Oddworld games. Basically, Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus were one of the most important games that made my childhood.

- Tyrael and Diablo from Diablo series. I like Tyrael for his dedication to aspect he represent, even if it comes with consequences. And Diablo was almost always fun to fight against (minus Diablo 1) and I like the fact that he kicked ass of one of the biggest jerks in the franchise.

- The Master from Fallout 1. This is how you make an antagonist, my dear future Fallout games.

- This may be little forced here, but while I hardly played any earlier games, I like how Lara Croft turned out in the reboot.

- It's technically an anime character, but he's in the videogames too.... So Jiraiya from Naruto UNS series. Inspiring, funny and relatable character, I say.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I haven't played much games outside IE. I sometimes play Marathon, but I got easily bored and progres ultra-slowly, still, the only favorite character outside the IE games is the Mjolnir Recon Unit 54, also known as the Security Officer.

Then it is much probable for HK-47 (I only played KotOR2, but his dialogs are hiliarous!), a hidden (sort of) NPC.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Thanks guys! Interesting games (most I never heard of) but I'll try some out! My brother has Assassin's Creed 3 and he likes it.

Here is my favorite non-BG character:

What game would you recommend for a Baldur's Gate fan, other than Dragon Age (couldn't get into it)? I hear KOTOR is really good
    Also, how customizable is your character in KOTOR? Are the NPCs good?
    I also kinda wanna play Mass Effect
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282

Thanks guys! Interesting games (most I never heard of) but I'll try some out! My brother has Assassin's Creed 3 and he likes it.

I thought it was okay, as far as these things go. The main character is no Ezio of course, but it's definitely worth talking to Benjamin Franklin a few times when you first meet him to hear about the benefits of the older woman...

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    A few I can think of...

Duke Nukem

Adol Christin from the Ys series

Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy

Rita Mordio from Tales of Vesperia
    @booinyoureyes in KotOR you are a normal soldier at the start, you can't customize as much as you can in BG, but it is some fun. In KotOR2 you start as an exiled Jedi, the Dark Side has better spells from a power gaming point of view, but in this game power gamers only go with high CHA, so they can use both Light and Dark side powers without repercussion from anyone and you get to influence in your companions faster.
    Anyway the plot is very linear, but you can add some fun to it if you do everything.
    The NPCs won't be as good as BG's (and not even close PS:T's), but they are not bad. I recommend playing Male for the first time, it is way better. Don't let you INT and WIS down, they'll help a lot too, CHA is good if you plan using other Side's power or want an easier game in some parts. STR gives some bonuses to melee, CON gives insane bonuses to HP if you spend some points, not worth it if you are going to solo the game (which is not recommended, it is an easy game). A high CHA PC can turn Good characters to Evil, and other way too :D.
    I've forgot of another favorite character of mine: Handmaiden, from KotOR2:TSL.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    this is VERY hard to say, i would put the Dalish elf warden from dragon age up there because she has actual motivation to join the grey wardens. (avoiding spoilers, but i highly recommend you play it), another favorite character would be...... actually dust from Dust: an elysian tail. im very surprised at this aswell but i really enjoyed the game and the character growth throughout the story
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    A couple of my favorite video game franchises outside of Baldur's Gate are the Tales of series and the Golden Sun series. Firstly, Tales:

Everyone from Tales of the Abyss: Seriously. There is not a single character I hate in that game. Your hero Luke will grind your nerves down to dust, but unlike most video game characters nowadays, Luke will actually learn from his past mistakes and become a better person throughout the story. And what's wonderful about the rest of the cast is that they all have a purpose to serve in the plot; they're not just there for the lulz or because Luke recruited them as the "party leader." As you go through the story, you'll learn more and more about each backstory and secret hidden from you before, and it will all weave together beautifully. Even the annoying Anise gets some serious depth to her character. Literally, no one is left out. Even the villains. Especially the villains.

Yuri Lowell: The protagonist of Tales of Vesperia, he's just a generally awesome guy. Voiced by Troy Baker and an awesome character design (I got a thing for black and purple...). Yuri is the epitome of a Chaotic Good character--he always strives to do what he believes is right outside of the law, even if it means getting his hands dirty and doing some very dark, unpleasant things. Even if it means putting his own life in danger. He's also older than most Tales-heroes, so he's a little more mature all-around.

Raven: Another character from Vesperia, Raven is such a silly, silly character. He's a fun-loving archer with a love for the ladies, but in the end, there's way more to him than meets the eye. I won't spoil too much, but let's just say this: Raven only plays the fool, and he plays it very, very well.

Lloyd Irving: This guy's got a special place in my heart as he's the protagonist of the first Tales game I'd ever played. He doesn't have a lot of flaws, and some people would argue he's very sue-type material, but I can't bring myself to dislike him. He dual-wields katanas, for crying out loud! What's not to like??

Now, on to Golden Sun...

Isaac: The Golden Sun characters are critiqued for not having much personality, as the writing is very simple, but I can't help but like them. Isaac is your hero for the first game, and he's a mute-hero. The only things he says are Yes and No, depending on you, the player. Still, he has a wonderful design, and earth-magic is awesome, so ha.

Felix: The other hero of the series, who actually does have some depth! I don't want to spoil too much, but basically, Felix is the underdog. He is the real hero trying to save the world from its own destruction, while everyone else is telling him that what he's doing is wrong. He goes against everything that he ever learned growing up for the sake of the greater good. Even if it means playing the villain, and fighting his childhood friends who wish to stop him.

Alex: Oh Alex, you evil bastard. He's not even much of an evil guy--he doesn't go out of his way to try to kill you or your friends, oh no. Why would he do that, when everything that you're doing is going exactly as planned? All he has to do is bide his time, fade into the background, and at the precise moment, when everyone else has turned their eyes away, BAM! He'll snatch up what he's been after and fly away, off to conquer the world. The most frustrating part is that you never get to fight him. Ever! Which makes him such a lovably hated character.

Amiti: A character from the newest, third installment in the series, Amiti is so blatantly the son of Alex. No, that's not even a spoiler. The game makes no attempts at hiding it. Amiti himself is much different from his backstabbing, manipulative father, as he's the prince of a water kingdom who originally believed that his mother conceived him as a virgin via her awesome magic powers. Um... Yeah, okay Amiti. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Needless to say, Amiti is very ignorant of the world around him and very naive, but that's what makes him both so flippin' adorable and hilarious.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the first that come to mind. Fire Emblem has a lot of characters I genuinely enjoy too, but since it's a tactical RPG and there's so many of them, I'll just save you the trouble of listing all the ones I like and tell you to just go play the games. Particularly Fire Emblem: Awakening. :P
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Hmm, Lemme think

Knight Solaire from Dark Souls, A true bro through and through and because he's helped me with the bosses more times than I can count

Issun from Okami. He makes me laugh, and he goes through some pretty darn good development in the closing arc of the game

Ryotaro Dojima from Persona 4. He is one of the most realistic characters in a game already full of incredibly well made characters. As I got through is social link I found myself feeling for this guy more and more. And the resolution to his social link really left me with a "feel good" attitude

Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite: A really compelling character that isn't a total pain in combat, what more is there to say.

wow, tha was harder than I thought. I normally point to BG for good characters in video games...

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Off the top of my head:
    KotOR HK-47
    NWN Deekin
    NWN2 Khelgar
    Dragon Age Morrigan, Shale
    Warcraft 3 Illidan
    GTA VC Tommy Vercetti, Love Fist, Diaz
    GTA SA CJ, Truth, Tenpenny, Maccer
    oooooh oooh I know Deekin and Khelgar
    Deekin is mah boy
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Mass Effect 1,2,3- Tali Zorah Nar Rayya/Tali Zorah Vas Neema/Tali Zorah Vas Normandy/Tali Zorah Vas Rannoch

I fight the ending for you Tali! Garrus too :)

@childofbhaal599
    as of now, the mass effect series seems to be the number one choice for game I will play during my semester off. Simply because:
    1. I hear it is amazing
    2. The game play seems fun (shooting... but with pause!) I hate stressful games where you are timed and rushed. It's supposed to be fun after a long day of studying/work, not a stressful experience
    3. Some of my friends have actually played this game...
    Usually when everyone talks about video games I'm like "So how about Baldur's Gate... its the shizzle!" and they're like "Oh, I think I've heard of that. Came out for Sega Dreamcast right?" Me: "-_-"
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I like Kirby.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

@childofbhaal599
    as of now, the mass effect series seems to be the number one choice for game I will play during my semester off. Simply because:
    1. I hear it is amazing
    2. The game play seems fun (shooting... but with pause!) I hate stressful games where you are timed and rushed. It's supposed to be fun after a long day of studying/work, not a stressful experience
    3. Some of my friends have actually played this game...
    Usually when everyone talks about video games I'm like "So how about Baldur's Gate... its the shizzle!" and they're like "Oh, I think I've heard of that. Came out for Sega Dreamcast right?" Me: "-_-"

all I can say to that is enjoy the journey. after the release of Mass Effect 1 I remember playing it rotating with other games. With Mass Effect 2 I played them both between other games. I must have had at least 15 or so Shepards. Never during all this time would I expect to have not touched the game in 2 years though. This is just a reminder of how much I loved the series before the ending. You should really try it for sure, but don't really get ready for a good ending with closure. There are no epilogues like Baldur's Gate, and if you want a happy ending (not a reason I fought it) you will also be dissapointed. Try to focus on the journey and characters while you can because these are some of the best imagined in any story I've played. if you do get this I hope you enjoy it and I do not care if you like the ending or not, but I would not wish I had never played it even after everything. I have fond memories, and I almost feel the pain of the ending has passed away enough that I might do another run, though possibly ending with the 2nd game. i have a feeling it will be a great return, but I really do hope some day we get a Mass Effect Enhanced Ending Edition (beamdog *wink* *wink*)

ok more than enhancing the ending to have a re-release but you know :)
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    you're killin me, Crevs!
    @childofbhaal599

I have heard many horror stories. But, well, if you still remember it fondly, it can't be that bad.

That reminds me of a show I watched once. It added a bunch of mysteries every week with promises to answer crazy questions, but then they paid us off with more crazy questions then the finale came and nothing was answered.

It was basically a Ponzi scheme.

I LOST about 100 hours of my life watching it, and I regret every one of them.

Bet you can't guess what that pile of manure was :)
    CrevsDaak said:

@Tresset Kirby is my favorite Pokemon from the Legend of Zelda.

lol!
    for realz though, Dugtrio was my favorite along with Squirtle.
    @booinyoureyes I had found a Orange Mudkip in a old GBA Pokemon.
    He's my favorite (and the only one I remember his name XD).
    @nano with a spear +3!
    @crevsdaak go find a picture of muk on google images.
    then pronounce his name backwards.
    your welcome :)
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

CrevsDaak said:

@Tresset Kirby is my favorite Pokemon from the Legend of Zelda.

lol!
    for realz though, Dugtrio was my favorite along with Squirtle.
    you mean this one?

my favorites were Aerodactyl and Oddish, and all the Eevees
    edited January 2014
    @booinyoureyes I had already relized that, but, why should I?
    A friend told me that he looked that way last year, and as he does not know english I've told him :P.