Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its pretty common for legendary weapons from folklore to show up in rpgs. Even jrps like FInal Fantasy X has Hrunting in it.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Its pretty common for legendary weapons from folklore to show up in rpgs. Even jrps like FInal Fantasy X has Hrunting in it.

Yeah, that was my first thought too, but now that they point it out, I'm not actually sure there were any mythological weapons in BG1 or Shadows of Amn.

Like, there are a lot of classic DnD Originals, but I don't recall ever swinging around Excalibur or anything. That might've been something new for Throne of Bhaal.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I wonder. As much as D&D cribbed from everything, I'd surprised if there wasn't at least 1 public domain weapon in there. Maybe something obscure.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    So I've just come back to Baldur's Gate after several years of mostly playing Pillars of Eternity and the Dragon Age games. And it turns out that one trick I learned during character creation in Pillars actually applies to Baldur's Gate, as well. You can include accents in your character's name by just copying and pasting them in when naming your character. So now I've given Gorion's Ward names like Scáthach, Étaín, Áine, and the like, since you really get into the Celtic influences when you've spent enough time in Eora.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    You don't need to go to such lengths. I just built a test character Accént, and all I had to do for that name was type it in (On my Mac, that's Option-e followed by e for the é). Accents can also be put in save names.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Even names such as Æþelbeorht can be copied in. However I was sad to find that such was not the case with Greek and Nepali names.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Abi_Dalzim wrote: »
    I "accidentally" killed Imoen in the Ducal Palace at the start of Siege of Dragonspear with a skull trap just now. It turns out she has a stack of 80 oils of speed on her, so I should be able to use those to smash the campaign into tiny pieces.

Wow, there's a lot of room under her robe!
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Wow, there's a lot of room under her robe!

No wonder she couldn't fight Caelar's assassins. Those oils put her over ecumberance by themselves.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Seems enough fluid for a quick bath :smiley:
  • amberCoffeeCatamberCoffeeCat Member Posts: 90
    I "accidentally" killed Imoen in the Ducal Palace at the start of Siege of Dragonspear with a skull trap just now. It turns out she has a stack of 80 oils of speed on her, so I should be able to use those to smash the campaign into tiny pieces.

By the way, who will now fill her role in scripted events such as in the undead crypt or at the end of SoD? Biff the Understudy? Or will the game create a copy of her?
    By the way, who will now fill her role in scripted events such as in the undead crypt or at the end of SoD? Biff the Understudy? Or will the game create a copy of her?

Game created a copy of her and has proceeded as if nothing happened. Seems to be the EE standard.
    Just finished SOD, so quick update on the dead Imoen thing: she was still in all the cutscenes where one would expect her to be, but she disappeared before the very end when the canon party convened, and so she wasn't in my party when Khalid and Jaheira et al were there. So that happened.
    Now there needs to be a mod where you can access that tier!
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    The arena thing is really interesting. It seems like the texts for the first two encounters should probably be switched around?
    Ammar wrote: »
    The arena thing is really interesting. It seems like the texts for the first two encounters should probably be switched around?

Dunno, they could have been flipped as a joke.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Ammar wrote: »

Dunno, they could have been flipped as a joke.

Possibly, but the rest is played straight. Noober maybe becomes close, but it's still clearly Noober.
    Well in any case, it's obvious from the scripting that there's a lot of errors they didn't feel the need to fix since the content got cut anyways.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    edited September 2021
    The choice of enemies in the first two rounds is not really on the same level as the scripting; it all feels too deliberate.

First, there's no way the announcer lines are swapped. Those are fully voiced, and one of them mentions "your first challenge". That leaves the possibility of the enemies being swapped ... and all of the foes in these battles have a number in their creature codes. 1 for the first fight, 2 for the second, and so on. A creature "OHB1KELD" doesn't leave much room for interpretation on the intent.

Incidentally, Noober's dialogue is basically complete and functional. It's the largest conversation tree in the entire game, and there's only a couple errors to mar the experience - typos in the references pointing to nonexistent text entries.
    [Added in edit] Well, OK, there are some bad triggers and responses linking to the wrong states, too. That dialogue tree definitely needed some cleanup.
    Post edited by jmerry on
    The announcer also keeps calling the enemies familiar faces even though the Black Pits party never met any of them before. This is more meta than Undertale, he's literally talking to the player and he knows it.
    edited October 2021
    That Dorn falls out with Ajantis even if he's wearing the Helm of Opposite Alignment. A shame really. I think that it would have been relatively easy to correcct that.

However if you play a Blackguard and wear the helmet there is no problem between you and Ajantis as the game only checks for your Alignment.
    My head-cannon for this item is "I'm still an evil Blackguard and still want to murder everybody, but something is compelling me not to". As in, it doesn't really change his way of thinking, but rather twists his actions into being good rather than evil.
    edited October 2021
    jmerry wrote: »
    Hey, ToB has bits of dialogue related to Korgan turning good. Anything can happen!

... Well, that's part of something that was never implemented. And it interacts badly with the Helm of Opposite Alignment, because there's no provision for Korgan turning lawful. If you stick the helm on him and drop him from the party, he no longer has a dialogue that offers a chance to rejoin.

On the subject of paladin alignments, Carsomyr and Purifier merely require that their wielder be non-evil. If you somehow managed to have a chaotic neutral paladin, they could wield those swords just fine. No race restrictions or relevant kit exclusion flags, either.

There are mods around that allow those sorts of alignments if you serve a god that isn't good. Probably Divine Remix, Deities of Faerun or Faiths and Powers: I can't remember which.