Skip to content

Convinced that the party from BG1 won't carry over to BG2

VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 481
At the time it was made... it made sense for them to chose Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and the Witch. But i always wanted to experience what it would have been like if it was... me, imoen, khalid, jaheira, xzar and montaron? That was my favorite party. Whats your take on the party choice that carried over... and who would your party consist of've?

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Man, the whole "carry over party" between games things would be wicked awesome, but we all know that can't happen due to contract stuffs. I've just got my fingers crossed that you will be able to bring the three new characters into BG2:EE! That would be awesome.

Oh jeez. I guess my Fighter/Cleric or Cleric/Ranger, Quartz. Kagain, Safana, Edwin, Kivan, Yeslick.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    3 new chars wont be enough in BG2EE, because in this way we're still missing desperately needed evil thief there. So I say bring Montaron back, as 4th Overhaul NPC in BG2EE, or at least rebalance Imoen back into pure thief :)
  • BenjaminBenjamin Member Posts: 39
    I hope they fix this up as well as make a way to get your gear back without resorting to the pause cheat.

Imoen is the only one required as she is fundamental to the stories progress.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    My favourite party is my female Paladin along with Imoen, Alora, Viconia, Shar-Teel and Edwin. And I was very disappointed when I found Alora and Shar-Teel weren't in BG2.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Vasculio said:

At the time it was made... it made sense for them to chose Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and the Witch. But i always wanted to experience what it would have been like if it was... me, imoen, khalid, jaheira, xzar and montaron? That was my favorite party. Whats your take on the party choice that carried over... and who would your party consist of've?

The Harpers and the Zhents would've killed each other before you beat the first game, though...

It actually worked out pretty well for me because instead of Minsc and Dynaheir, I took Edwin and Viconia, and they're both in BG2. I only had to swap Shar-Teel for Korgan, and he was more amusing anyway. :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The really annoying issue about it is using a tome of strength on minsc for example doesn;t carry over to the second game, and neither does the item itself, so you just end up using them all on your main character, even if they don't need them
    @ajwz: That's one of the things BGT added, so I hope it'll be part of BG:EE too...
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2012
    IMO BGI and BGII are so different, it'll never happen. The plot of BGII starts with the player plus Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, and (dead) Kahlid in prison. It's not changing, except for someone who mods in some old npcs.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Space_Hamster you forgot dead dynaheir too. At the start Minsc talks about how she's dead in one of the cages nearby and you see a dead body on the last cage before you exit out for good.

The one character I wish had returned in a playable sense in BG2 was Kivan. I always liked Kivan....
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201

My favourite party is my female Paladin along with Imoen, Alora, Viconia, Shar-Teel and Edwin. And I was very disappointed when I found Alora and Shar-Teel weren't in BG2.

The one character I wish had returned in a playable sense in BG2 was Kivan. I always liked Kivan....

I believe everybody who played BG2 missed at least one BG1 character in their party. I'm still crossing my fingers, though we won't know anything until BG2:EE is out. I don't know... for some reason I think the word 'Enhanced' should also include 'Consistency,' but perhaps I'm way too optimistic.

Also,

While it's a bit early to talk about BG2EE content, it's likely that we will be bringing these three NPCs forward into BG2. As for other NPCs - we most likely won't be bringing any of them into BG2 that aren't already there. And as for where you find the new NPCs in BG2, that is still under wraps.

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There are a lot of mods to affect the return of BG1-characters. @Dragonspear the "Kivan and Deheriana" mod is imo very immersive and well written, and quite customizable.
    @Shin I'll admit I haven't really looked into the BG2 mod scene very much. Heck I haven't looked into the BG1 mod scene more than just Tutu. Maybe those are things I should check out. Of course maybe I should also getting around to eventually beating throne of bhaal
    @Dragonspear If you like Kivan I'd recommend looking into the BG1NPC Project mod for BG1 and then Kivan and Deheriana for BG2 for a continuous arc. Without giving away too much, it really deepens the relationship you can have with him, be it friendship or romance.
    @Shin I'll have to look into that. One problem I have is I either tend to play a ranger or a paladin most of the time so there usually ain't much of a place for him. Especially since I'm still trying to beat the game at least once (i.e. finishing Throne of Bhaal) with a canon party.
    @Dragonspear Ah, right - well, whenever you feel up for it, give it a go. It's really an enhancement from the vanilla game if you like party/character interaction.
    @Shin it definitely seems like something I might try before the launch of BGEE. My first TOB save many years ago got corrupted and then I just took a break for ME3 on my most recent save and need to get back into it.

IMO BGI and BGII are so different, it'll never happen. The plot of BGII starts with the player plus Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, and (dead) Kahlid in prison. It's not changing, except for someone who mods in some old npcs.

What's weird is that this is the default party, and yet Viconia and Edwin both have dialogue indicating that they were with you too - Viconia says something like "It will be good to travel with you again" and Edwin pretends not to recognize you because he's so famous and successful now. :)
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    shawne said:

What's weird is that this is the default party, and yet Viconia and Edwin both have dialogue indicating that they were with you too - Viconia says something like "It will be good to travel with you again" and Edwin pretends not to recognize you because he's so famous and successful now. :)

<.< Well duh, OBVIOUSLY you partied with both of them in bg1...but then kicked them out because they are EVIL and you had an awesome goody-good guy party instead.
    I never played the unmodded games, so I don't know if this was added in or if it was always there, but don't you have dialogue options with Minsc and Jaheira that let you determine whether or not they were actually in your party? I think it was something like "Who are you?", "Yes, I think we met once" and "Jaheira, what are you doing here?", etc.
    @shawne The canon is still that you traveled mostly with them in the party. If you act like you don't know Jaheira, she assumes it's because of the treatment you've received at the hands of Irenicus.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Obviously they won't / can't change the default carry-over party and in a way this is good as it means that most likely the NPCs we partied with in BG1 would still be alive (of course, we already know what will happen to some of them). Too bad about Khalid, he was one of my favorite BG1 followers. Imoen can't be changed back to pure thief as it would both change content already in place in SoA and would alter the main story (how could she be taken to Spellhold due to using magic if she isn't a mage and can't cast? :) ).
    My original parties were:
    - my HE conjurer, Khalid, Garrick, Safana, Coran, Yeslick;
    - my HE druid, Khalid, Kivan, Imoen, Coran, Edwin.
    edited August 2012

Space_Hamster you forgot dead dynaheir too. At the start Minsc talks about how she's dead in one of the cages nearby and you see a dead body on the last cage before you exit out for good.

Good point, he reminded me of Strider....perhaps the devs could add a new forest map and we could find him hunting down a band of mind flayers or the like ;)
    Shin said:

@shawne The canon is still that you traveled mostly with them in the party. If you act like you don't know Jaheira, she assumes it's because of the treatment you've received at the hands of Irenicus.

Don't get me wrong, the jaheira romance is my fav of bg2 ( perhaps because it is the most drawn out and challenging), but considering the relationship from bg1 vs. 2 , the whole thing has a rather oedipus complex about it. perhaps that was the intention ;)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Considering there are extra cells in the dungeon, I don't think Overhaul would have too much trouble putting Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad in those cells.

@Benjamin brings up a good point in that some of your gear from your BG1 save should get deposited in various places throughout Chateau Irenicus. Imoen provides for not all of it being present in that she thinks Irenicus sold most of it, but allowing us to reacquire memorable stuff like the Claw of Kazgaroth and the Plate Mail +3 from Durlag's Tower would be lovely.

As @Xzar mentioned, BG2 is in dire need of an evil Thief NPC for those of us with a much more ruthless, mercenary bent. Or, at the very least, we need a way to resurrect a certain other Thief by the name of .
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

Considering there are extra cells in the dungeon, I don't think Overhaul would have too much trouble putting Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad in those cells.

The only issue with that, is that those empty cells are used for the multiplayer game, its where player 2-6 begins in soa.
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270

@Benjamin brings up a good point in that some of your gear from your BG1 save should get deposited in various places throughout Chateau Irenicus. Imoen provides for not all of it being present in that she thinks Irenicus sold most of it, but allowing us to reacquire memorable stuff like the Claw of Kazgaroth and the Plate Mail +3 from Durlag's Tower would be lovely.

As @Xzar mentioned, BG2 is in dire need of an evil Thief NPC for those of us with a much more ruthless, mercenary bent. Or, at the very least, we need a way to resurrect a certain other Thief by the name of .

That was just them being lazy as far as the items go, what's easier importing a bunch of stuff the player may or may not of used or just saying the big bad sold it all?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

The only issue with that, is that those empty cells are used for the multiplayer game, its where player 2-6 begins in soa.
    Aren't there more than 5 extra cells? If not, well...FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

That was just them being lazy as far as the items go, what's easier importing a bunch of stuff the player may or may not of used or just saying the big bad sold it all?
    True, but I'm hoping that since Overhaul is taking the time to clean up BG1's code, having code in BG2 that references certain items from your inventory in BG1 could be a lot less of a chore, especially since they'll likely also be cleaning up BG2's code.

Seven NPCs in the starting dungeon might be a bit much, especially since Rasaad and Neera don't require any gear to be at their best. I think you might be more likely to find them at the Copper Coronet...
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    @Schneidend I would love if they did, expand on the starting gear, focusing on unique stuff from BG 1 that you can't find in BG 2, maybe make some of it hard to get: High Level Locks/Traps, maybe a secret room or two (Not sure if they can even do this one) or simply add the stuff to BG 2 through out the game as you travel you find stuff, maybe finding the people who John sold you stuff off to...

Actually using that train of thought you could add a new side quest for each unique item that involves you hunting down your old gear and reclaiming it. I'd love that myself, specially for the truly unique and/or powerful stuff.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Yeah, I'm hoping they do that for sure!

And actually guys. Little-known detail but:
    http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm
    Scroll to "Baldur's Gate II" on that page. You get exactly two items from your BG1 game, I've tested it he's completely right. I make sure to export my main char from BG1 with at least the Claw of Kazgaroth from now on.