Skip to content

There should be a reputation loss if you kill Unshey, Landrin and Zhurlong

2»

Comments

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    WebShaman said:

One, the reality point : no-one witnesses the act, it can't affect reputation (another unsolved mystery murder...)

Well, to counter the reality point, murders do get solved without any direct witnesses to the act.

Now granted, Forgotten Realms forensic science isn't going to have DNA tests or fingerprinting, but they can still ask questions. Perhaps the group of people across the street saw your party go into the house, heard some screaming, and shortly thereafter saw you leave the house wiping blood from your sword.

Their testimony would be plenty to get your party convicted, without any direct witnesses to the actual killing.

And even without the screaming and wiping of blood, simply being seen going in and out of the victim's house could affect your party's reputation, even if it didn't lead to a murder conviction.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2014
    karnor00 said:

WebShaman said:

One, the reality point : no-one witnesses the act, it can't affect reputation (another unsolved mystery murder...)

Well, to counter the reality point, murders do get solved without any direct witnesses to the act.

Now granted, Forgotten Realms forensic science isn't going to have DNA tests or fingerprinting, but they can still ask questions. Perhaps the group of people across the street saw your party go into the house, heard some screaming, and shortly thereafter saw you leave the house wiping blood from your sword.

Their testimony would be plenty to get your party convicted, without any direct witnesses to the actual killing.

And even without the screaming and wiping of blood, simply being seen going in and out of the victim's house could affect your party's reputation, even if it didn't lead to a murder conviction.
    Don't forget, there's also the spell Speak With The Dead in AD&D. Who needs forensics when you could just ask the corpse, "Who killed you?" :-)

http://pandaria.rpgworlds.info/cant/rules/adnd_spells.htm#Speak With The Dead
  • macu67macu67 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2014
    Seriously, this thread is just a dispute between the "I want every magical item in the game" and "I want some balance and reason in the game" people.
    I'm all for rep hits for murdering innocent people just to get items - we all know thats the real reason for killing them not some "he stole 15 gp from me so I killed him lol".
    Post edited by macu67 on
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Well, to be honest this thread is about bug in SCS, i don't know why such a disscusion about innocence of those 3 (randomly picked) characters ;).
  • macu67macu67 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2014
    Since it's in the general bg ee section of the forum and it's nowhere marked as scs topic, I think it's a right place for this discussion. I checked and Landrin and Unshey are indeed giving rep loss when killed but zhurlong and pheirkas are issues in my opinion. Anyway I'll start another topic for them.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    @karnor00 - in the FR, there are so many ways for someone (or some[b]thing[/b]) to kill someone else, that without some direct evidence to the contrary, it is going to be very difficult to convict here.

Magical invisibility, magical disguises (doppelganger, etc), Invisible Stalkers, Air Elementals, Water Elementals, Earth Elementals, camouflage effects, etc!

"Your Honor, yes, we did visit Mr. X on the night of Y, but when we left Mr. X was alive and well...if a bit shaken up. Perhaps it was one of his many enemies? After all, there are sooo many different ways that one could have had Mr. X done away with...might I suggest a few?"

@‌AstroBryGuy - yes, there is Speak with the Dead and also Speak with Inanimate Object, Stonetell, etc!

All many of divination type spells.

But they are hardly good ways of producing reliable witness! After all, they can be faked, can't they?

"Your Honor...I feel...I feel a presence...SILENCE! Someone here is disturbing the ether with negative thoughts! Ahh, better...yes...yes...YES! It is the spirit of the deceased...it...she...she is trying to say something...something...it is becoming clearer..." *opens eyes, glances at *

"She has named as her murderer, your Honor!"

Says the paid "Wizard" representing Mr. Y.

So how can the Magistrate (representing Law and Order here) be sure that the "Wizard" in question here really is speaking with the dead (or using any other type of spell or effect)? After all, only the "Wizard" gets this direct information...and even then, who is to say (in the case that all can see the apparation or hear the words) that is not just a different spell, simulating another?

Think of how easy it would be to abuse such power, and how the Rich and Powerful would throng to do so - resulting in chaos within a short span of time!

Any society would soon tumble into chaos in a short amount of time based on such a system, since it is not foolproof.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I don't think may FR realms are states of law in the modern sense. If there is jurisdiction, it's bound to be wildly varying, arbitrary and overall very "medieval" ;)

So, I guess the examples above can't really be applied. But this tpoic is sure getting out of hand!