Skip to content

2»

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Larry.
    CoryNewblolienNight_Watch
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Cardinal picture! (for no particular reason)

JuliusBorisovlolien[Deleted User]JLee
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Beautiful. Black. Smart

Raven

Ravens rate up with chimpanzees and dolphins. In one logic test, the raven had to get a hanging piece of food by pulling up a bit of the string, anchoring it with its claw, and repeating until the food was in reach. Many ravens got the food on the first try, some within 30 seconds. In the wild, ravens have pushed rocks on people to keep them from climbing to their nests, stolen fish by pulling a fishermen’s line out of ice holes, and played dead beside a beaver carcass to scare other ravens away from a delicious feast.

Ravens can learn to talk better than some parrots. They also mimic other noises, like car engines, toilets flushing, and animal and birdcalls. Ravens have been known to imitate wolves or foxes to attract them to carcasses that the raven isn’t capable of breaking open.

Cultures from Tibet to Greece have seen the raven as a messenger for the gods. Celtic goddesses of warfare often took the form of ravens during battles. The Viking god, Odin, had two ravens, Hugin (thought) and Munin (memory), which flew around the world every day and reported back to Odin every night about what they saw. The Chinese said ravens caused bad weather in the forests to warn people that the gods were going to pass by. And some Native American tribes worshipped the raven as a deity in and of itself. Called simply Raven, he is described as a sly trickster who is involved in the creation of the world.
    lolien[Deleted User]JLee
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JLee
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Reading this threads makes me feel like I'm

FinneousPJJuliusBorisovlolien
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Typo_tilly "Some owls bob their heads up and down in order to maximize their depth perception. Try it right now. Focus on an object and bob your head up and down. That's right keep bobbing your head. It doesn't really work for humans, but you do end up looking like an idiot." LOL
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovlolienJLee
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolienJLee
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    A Mourning Dove. One used to nest in the tree by my room. Every morning, I woke up to its call. "Awhooo.... ooo...ooo...ooo."

Also Albino Peacock. (Pictures to come later for both.)
    lolien[Deleted User]