Skip to content

The Black Hound or Baldur's Gate 3

Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
Now let's get this clear, they used to be the same game. They USED TO BE. Now it's just some cancelled game that you USED TO KNOW!. I know, Black Isle's Ghost cries out to Interplay, screaming "You didn't Have to Cut Me off" all the while Dark Alliance II becomes a collectable game sometimes selling for 350 dollars.

Read both opinions for each game and then choose which one you would rather have?

Negative Opinion on Baldur's Gate 3:

But what would you rather have from Overhaul Games? Baldur's Gate 3 - A continuation of the Bhaalspawn Saga, non-canon in the Realms-verse (because after the mess that Athans wrote, there is no way in fu*k that even Karpyshyn, with a second shot, could fix it) game where you essentially go through the same game, some guy tries to take your power, and you have some morality factor judging where you can be a Good God, Bad God or Guy who believes himself not good enough to be a god. Oh and it's in 4e rules, good luck with that, bitch.

Positive Opinion on Baldur's Gate 3:

But what would you rather have from Overhaul Games? Baldur's Gate 3 - The True Conclusion to the Bhaalspawn Saga, long awaited, new graphics, updated gameplay and a story bound by NO Canon (because after the Spellplague, there is NO WAY the devs are making Duergar Devils). If it ain't broke, don't fix it, because we all know that we want to see the successor of Bodhi to try and take your powers, we all want the return of Bhaal, we all want this and we all just want that GAMEPLAY UPDATED TO MODERN RULES, just so that we can play cleaner, because 2e won't translate into what BG3 will be.

Negative Opinion on The Black Hound:

But what would you rather have from Overhaul Games? The Black Hound - An original game set in the Dalelands, a land not touched yet by RPG lore aside from Tethyamar and allowing for such room from expansion, that the devs, after thinking of worthless original ideas, are just going to shit themselves and take that in hand. Because we all know that after the Spellplague, everything got watered down in sick shit that flows out like but not diarrhea. All original ideas suck, look at Road to Wrestlemania, look at the Reclaimer Trilogy, look at Makarov and Mass Effect 3. And the gameplay, your making an original game, bound only by name, yet people are going to tell the devs what should or shouldn't be in the gameplay, to stay true to the franchise that it no longer is IN. And 4e can be a bitch.

Positive Opinion on The Black Hound:

But what would you rather have from Overhaul Games? The Black Hound - An original game set in the Dalelands, not yet touched by RPG Lore aside from Tethyamar, fan opinions can be taken in and mixed with the creative thoughts of Samuel L. Oster, we can get an original idea brought from the true source of The Black Hound: Its Cult Following. The unique story brought from this "Cult Hound Following" will allow a game not created by the developers, but created by YOU and YOU yourself, because this could be the game that you actually wanted. Who says all original ideas suck? Look at Dragon Age II's story (not gameplay), look at Rayman Legends, look at the Attitude Mode and finally, look at Branching Stories in CoD. And once again, bound to a NEW Franchise, 4e can be anything you want it to be.

So, tell me, what one would you rather

Comments

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

If they make the new games using 4e rules, I'm out, 4e rules are horrid, no semblance of game balance, and every character is the same, except some just have better powers then others, no multiclass to speak of (What exists is a waste of feats), just a very very bad system.....keep 2e or don't bother. (I'd be kindaok with 3e, but I expect a TON from a 3e game, as in 20+ Prestige Classes min, and 10-15 base classes, as these are what made 3e good)

Thats the problem, see if they create a BRAND NEW game from scratch, then it HAS TO BE 4e, WOTC will not greenlight a game using anything less. Thats why if beamdog tries to make a 4e bg3 (and it WILL have to be 4e) I will not be supporting it finantially. (but dont get me wrong, keep remaking the old e games! i preordered bgee, im GOING TO preorder bg2ee, and if you make iwdee i will preorder that too)

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

So, tell me, what one would you rather

Umm... I believe I'd rather not.

• Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
    Dream said:

What is this I don't even...

You don't care, you tell me you don't care. Then get your lazy off off these forums and out into the real world. At least pricks like The_New_Romance can bother commenting on something relevent while using a proper language, not the slang of idiot.
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72

Dream said:

You don't care, you tell me you don't care. Then get your lazy off off these forums and out into the real world. At least pricks like The_New_Romance can bother commenting on something relevent while using a proper language, not the slang of idiot.
    Are you taking anger management classes? If so, I think you should ask for a refund.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Realistically speaking, I don't think the way to the future can be found by going backwards. The Bhaalspawn saga is over - if BG3 is going to happen, let it tell a new story that's on that level rather than tack on an unnecessary extension.
  • Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
    lmaoboat said:

Dream said:

Are you taking anger management classes? If so, I think you should ask for a refund.
    No, I speak my mind against the dumbassery that happens on forums. Anger Management is for people like Charlie Sheen and his dad, guys that can't be happy so they rant about it. What I do is simply bring in the better life of the forums, make it better, make it a place where people don't say what the mods want them to say, where they say what THEY WANT TO SAY! Not something they would say in real life, what they wish they could say. After all, that is why we have forums, so why restrict it?

And Shawne, that is a reasonable opinion. After all, what does the past do other than weigh us down and restrict what we can do. So I guess, go original, just another game in the City of the Best.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    I think they shouldn't make BG3, that story is closed. I think they should make a completely new series.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    Imho, BG3 should either be a prequel to the Bhaalspawn plot set a generation earlier that sets the stage for the BG series, or an entirely new adventure that in some way features the city of Baldur's Gate.

BG3 should use 2D isometric graphics and the same 2nd ed. ruleset with kits.

What I do not wish to see for BG3 would be 3D graphics and/or a continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga post-ToB.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    As far as my concern goes - the bhaalspawn saga is over, time to move on.
  • DreamDream Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2012

Dream said:

Oh I care; trying to read what you wrote was just too painful though. The gods of sentence structure, flow, and grammar died a little with that post.

As for the actual topic: The main BG series is about your character's journey; so if they make a BG3 it should be about your character and a continuation of his/her story. If that's not the case then the game should be BG: Subtitle. I'd be fine with either, but not with a BG3 that had little to do with your original character.

It'd be like having Halo 4 or Witcher 3 be about a different Spartan/Witcher than MC/Geralt.

Post edited by Dream on
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Knight12ify

Dream said:

Perhaps instead of getting up in arms and insulting people, you should take a look at your original post.
    It is strangely formulated and reads more like a stream-of-consciousness with copy-pasted bits than an invitation to discussion. As a result is very hard to understand what you're trying to say. @Dream is not saying he doesn't care, he says he has no idea what on earth you're talking about. Neither do I.

Perhaps try re-writing it taking into consideration that most people don't know what you mean by things like "Cult Hound Following" and "Spell Plague", and whether you think it's good or bad and why.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'm with Dream; if it doesn't continue the storyline of the character from BG1 and BG2, I wouldn't view it as BG3. I also don't buy into the argument that you can't continue something that's already been concluded; there's always wiggle room for a good writer. And even if the transition isn't flawless (it certainly isn't between BG1 and BG2), it could certainly still be an awesome game.
    As for the actual topic: The main BG series is about your character's journey; so if they make a BG3 it should be about your character and a continuation of his/her story. If that's not the case then the game should be BG: Subtitle. I'd be fine with either, but not with a BG3 that had little to do with your original character.

It'd be like having Halo 4 or Witcher 3 be about a different Spartan/Witcher than MC/Geralt.
    But look at the tradition of other BioWare/Forgotten Realms games: neither Icewind Dale 2 nor Neverwinter Nights 2 continue the stories of their predecessors. Hell, "Shadows of Undrentide" and "Hordes of the Underdark" are assumed to have a different protagonist than the original campaign, and "Storm of Zehir" explicitly breaks from the story of NWN2/Mask of the Betrayer.

By that standard, why shouldn't Baldur's Gate 3 be an original and unrelated story that happens to be set in the same area?
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208

Dream said:

actually knight12ify, the way you write it out makes it a bit hard for me to understand, although i'm trying to get an idea of what you mean.

but like the others, if it's not 2e, then they need to scrap wotc, and make their own system
    shawne said:

But look at the tradition of other BioWare/Forgotten Realms games: neither Icewind Dale 2 nor Neverwinter Nights 2 continue the stories of their predecessors. Hell, "Shadows of Undrentide" and "Hordes of the Underdark" are assumed to have a different protagonist than the original campaign, and "Storm of Zehir" explicitly breaks from the story of NWN2/Mask of the Betrayer.

By that standard, why shouldn't Baldur's Gate 3 be an original and unrelated story that happens to be set in the same area?

True, but different series are based on different things. NWN and IWD are based around their settings with each new iteration based in the same general area but with a new protagonist. This is also true of Dragon Age, Fallout (1 and 2 at least), Bioshock, etc. Other series, however, are based on a particular character. Halo (the main series), Witcher, the LoK games (two protagonists there), Mass Effect, Saints Row, etc. are all like this. Other series still focus around a secondary character or antagonist such as Diablo, System Shock, Crysis (the nanosuit being the focus there), etc. All are valid ways to write a series, but changing from one style to another leads to games feeling out of place (New Vegas feels much more like Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 itself does).

Up to this point the main BG series has very clearly been focused on the protagonist with the setting changing drastically between every iteration (1, 2 and ToB).
    Bjjorick said:

but like the others, if it's not 2e, then they need to scrap wotc, and make their own system

So your asking for dragon age? New story and new rules-system?
    Because if you want a brand new forgotten realms game, then it MUST be in 4e.

Bjjorick said:

So your asking for dragon age? New story and new rules-system?
    Because if you want a brand new forgotten realms game, then it MUST be in 4e.
    Well BG3 or whatever is a long ways off anyway. By then 5E should be out and rumor has it that's not going to be the train wreck 4E is (we can hope).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    Actually a new Forgotten Realms game won't *have* to be 4e. D&D Next is in development right now and by the time a new game is released it will be out.

And thankfully D&D Next does go back to the roots in all the rules that made 4e what it is.
    Dream said:

Well BG3 or whatever is a long ways off anyway. By then 5E should be out and rumor has it that's not going to be the train wreck 4E is (we can hope).

I am really hoping. But nothing will fix what 4e did to faerun :(
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    My concern is that if Wizards of the Coast can force the developers to use 4th edition (which is utter garbage imo), they would probably also force the developers to set the story in the post-spellplague Forgotten Realms.
    If you don't know what the Spellplague is, it is basically the event that introduced 4th edition to the Forgotten Realms. What they did was nuke the entire setting, kill of numerous gods (Mystra for example) and move the timeline up around 100 years. So almost everything that made the setting what it was is gone.
    If Overhaul has to do BG3 in 4th edition Forgotten Realms, then they might as well just forget about it as far as I am concerned.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I don't think the developers are forced to make their games in the current timeline, but I may be wrong :)

I'd like to see a BG 3 telling the story of the Heartlands during The Horde invasion, for instance :)
    Dream said:

True, but different series are based on different things. NWN and IWD are based around their settings with each new iteration based in the same general area but with a new protagonist. This is also true of Dragon Age, Fallout (1 and 2 at least), Bioshock, etc. Other series, however, are based on a particular character. Halo (the main series), Witcher, the LoK games (two protagonists there), Mass Effect, Saints Row, etc. are all like this. Other series still focus around a secondary character or antagonist such as Diablo, System Shock, Crysis (the nanosuit being the focus there), etc. All are valid ways to write a series, but changing from one style to another leads to games feeling out of place (New Vegas feels much more like Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 itself does).

Up to this point the main BG series has very clearly been focused on the protagonist with the setting changing drastically between every iteration (1, 2 and ToB).

True enough, but what separates "Baldur's Gate" from the rest of the games you named is that it's assumed to be part of the broader Faerun milieu (as represented by BioWare and Obsidian) alongisde IWD and NWN - and in that configuration, BG is actually the exception to the rule. Given that, it makes more sense to me for a hypothetical BG3 to begin a new story rather than drag out the Bhaalspawn saga for another chapter.
    shawne said:

Dream said:

True enough, but what separates "Baldur's Gate" from the rest of the games you named is that it's assumed to be part of the broader Faerun milieu (as represented by BioWare and Obsidian) alongisde IWD and NWN - and in that configuration, BG is actually the exception to the rule. Given that, it makes more sense to me for a hypothetical BG3 to begin a new story rather than drag out the Bhaalspawn saga for another chapter.
    By that logic Dark Alliance should have been BG3.
    look, there are other systems that could be in place, why not use gurps, or a variation there in? anything to avoid 4e (and honestly 3e, i didn't care for it as much as 2e).

and worse case, they can remake older games. but yeah, never understood wotc. when the game became about money, not about playing the game, i stopped caring what wotc wants.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for calling me a prick for a humourus remark. Way to improve the community. I cared for the topic, but I didn't understand what you wanted to tell us, and maybe it's my fault because English is not my native language, but the way I see it I wasn't the only one. Perhaps try not to be that rash to insult people in the future.
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Baldur's Gate 3, no contest.

Thanks for calling me a prick for a humourus remark. Way to improve the community. I cared for the topic, but I didn't understand what you wanted to tell us, and maybe it's my fault because English is not my native language, but the way I see it I wasn't the only one. Perhaps try not to be that rash to insult people in the future.

wow, english isn't your native language? i never would have guessed. my wife is from the philippines, and perhaps will never master it, as intelligent as she is (she speaks 7 languages).

my sons on the other hand, speak english as well as you do, and their native tounge of tagalog (pronounced ta-gall-oh) fluently, and you would never guess that either of them wasn't their native.

btw, not a joke, you at least type english better then 90% of people who do claim it as their native tongue.