Skip to content

The Black Hound or Baldur's Gate 3

2»

Comments

• EldrythEldryth Member Posts: 56
    The devs have said that any new game would have to use the newest ruleset- which would probably be 5th Edition (D&D Next) by that point, which is actually really good, based on the testers' feedback- rather than 4th. They've also said that they would have to have it set in the present, unles there's a huge demand otherwise.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The 3.5 edition book Lost Empires of Faerun mentions that the bhaalspawn still exist and that they seek to claim the divine mantle of Bhaal for themselves. Giving that I don't think creating another bhaalspawn centered game is that unreasonable or lore unfriendly at all.

Though, I don't know if the bastardized 4th edition has added its own junkish lore to Bhaal and his offsprings. I can only hope that the 5th edition returns D&D to its non-mmo days. Only time will tell...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Kamigoroshi Probably not. I have only to look at posters on these forums who seem to want all the things from the later editions in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I am for keeping the games as close to 2e and the originals as possible. I don't want Feats and MMO-like stuff cluttering up the game. If I wanted to play that, I could choose to play WoW or another MMO. Heretical as it might be, that's my opinion.
  • DreamDream Member Posts: 52
    2E was definitely my favorite version as well, THAC0 will always hold a special place in my heart.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    So do I, @LadyRhian, so do I. But what I really hate about the 4th edition aren't the classes or feats, it's the fact that it killed off every single Planescape aspect of the planes I hold dear. Tanar'ri and Baatezu are no more, instead there are "elementals of chaos" and "fallen angel"... not to mention the tieflings, aasimars and genasi were horrible deformed as well.
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    LadyRhian said:

@Kamigoroshi Probably not. I have only to look at posters on these forums who seem to want all the things from the later editions in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I am for keeping the games as close to 2e and the originals as possible. I don't want Feats and MMO-like stuff cluttering up the game. If I wanted to play that, I could choose to play WoW or another MMO. Heretical as it might be, that's my opinion.

I'm not sure where this comes from, if anything MMOs are well known for simplified and watered-down RPG mechanics.
    @Kamigoroshi And Tanar'ri and Baatzeu were originally Demons and Devils... 1e strikes again! And there were Demodands, like the Shator (Shaggy) and Farastu (Tarry) and the Daemons, like the Ultranodaemon, and their leader, Anthraxus. But they did away with all those names because D&D was feared to be causing Devil worship. >:P Ugh. I still remember Rona Jaffee's "Mazes and Monsters" and the movie that was made of it, starring Tom Hanks. And all those little "Chick Tracts". And Police investigating D&D players for "Cult-Like Behavior". I didn't agree that they had to change the names in the first place, but hey, I wasn't consulted. ;/
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @LadyRhian That's exactly why I was actually surprised when I learned Wizards was reediting the First Edition AD&D books with original art.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    I may speak english, however I type trainwreck.......so try not judge me on the typo's ;)
    @minevese Well, this will be interesting...
  • simulacrumsimulacrum Member Posts: 5
    i think trent oster has tweeted, that bg3 would probably use 5th edition.
  • SacherySachery Member Posts: 33
    I think they shall make a game some are build on bg games. But it shall be a new place with a new story. Forgotten Realms world (faerûn) is very big. Baldur's Gate was call of a town, so call the new game of a big town in the area they use cound work. The Moonshae Isle with Caer Calidyrr with capital (isle to travel on) or Chondath/Sespech with Arrabar as capital (good amount of citys) cound be some of the places to pick from.
    What about the Heartlands around the time of death of Azhoun IV?
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Eww....BG 3 using 5th Edition, it's basically a combination of 3e and 4e.

Also don't see how feats have ANYTHING to do with MMO's.....
    edited August 2012
    I do like the mix of 1st and 2nd editions, I never cared at all for 3rd or 4th.
    Loved the unauthorized materials in the original Deities and Demigods books and the Demons and devils info from the original monster manual, so much so, I recently spent a grunch of time on ebay to get the 1st editions of all the core books, DM guide, Players Guide, MM and Deities and Demigods.
  • sirseorsirseor Member Posts: 19
    Okay, I think 4th edition is not the real question as far as setting goes. A clever storyteller/scriptwriter can create a wonder out of almost any setting, given a little freedom.
    So a lot of this is somewhat pointless. There will not be a BG3 anytime within the next 3 years, if ever. So why worry about 4E? Or whether or not it will be a continuation of the Bhallspawn Saga?
    Personally, I think the safer road would be to make a completely new story, with a few references/tie ins. They have already done something like this with NWN. But either could work with a clever enough storyteller.

I vote we all just see what happens, and not worry about spreading hate on the developers (or each other) for something that theoretically might get made in the future.
    @Sirseor
    Its just idle chatter because we are all so excited about the BG:EE and BG2:EE so we have to do something to while away the time
    I think we should start protesting against the use of 6th edition in BG3 rght now... why wait until 2015? ;)
  • brixbrix Member Posts: 43
    My predictions
    * BG3 will use 5E (which is judging from now a good thing)
    * BG3 will tell a completly new story (+1 for that)
    * BG3 will contain a toolset to create your own adventures (+1)
    * BG will be isometric, party-based (+1)
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    I don't want a continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga. Been there done that. What I would prefer, if we as fans were lucky enough to have a new Baldur's Gate game would be something that takes place in the same area but
    shawne said:

Realistically speaking, I don't think the way to the future can be found by going backwards. The Bhaalspawn saga is over - if BG3 is going to happen, let it tell a new story that's on that level rather than tack on an unnecessary extension.

This.

• ArtemielleArtemielle Member Posts: 5
    None of the above, thanks. And I have never had a problem saying what I want to say on this, or any other messageboard/forum. 4e is an abomination, and I don't want any games using it. You can make it, but I will stay far away from it, thanks.
    I couldn't agree more!!
  • Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
    Syntia13 said:

@Knight12ify

Dream said:

What is this I don't even...

You don't care, you tell me you don't care. Then get your lazy off off these forums and out into the real world. At least pricks like The_New_Romance can bother commenting on something relevent while using a proper language, not the slang of idiot.
    Perhaps instead of getting up in arms and insulting people, you should take a look at your original post.
    It is strangely formulated and reads more like a stream-of-consciousness with copy-pasted bits than an invitation to discussion. As a result is very hard to understand what you're trying to say. @Dream is not saying he doesn't care, he says he has no idea what on earth you're talking about. Neither do I.

Perhaps try re-writing it taking into consideration that most people don't know what you mean by things like "Cult Hound Following" and "Spell Plague", and whether you think it's good or bad and why.
    I'm gorgeous.