Skip to content

[Request] Unfinished business for BG:EE and BG2:EE

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    This thread has turned into one big ****ing tease. XP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    I remember this mod.
    If my memory is right this also adds some extra night encounters in BG2 wherein the Shadow Thieves actually defeat a few vampires ( wich is nice to see ) and also adds an Artemis encounter in Bodhi's lair if you allow Drizzt to help you.

Mind that I did mod Artemis a bit to also have the Charon's claw sword instead of a short sword +2.
    Dual wielded with the life draining dagger of course.

Wich might also be nice to implement in the game.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Was the development of this dropped? Has anybody tried using the old UB meant Tutu for example? I wonder how much manual work it would be to get that installed on BG:EE.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited April 2013
    Shin tested it and looks like it is working rather good
    generally there is only minor issue with journal, so BG1 Unfinished Business should work even in current version
  • nopersonnoperson Member Posts: 4
    I just tried installing it and got an error message for every component. Says, "Failure: Please install on BG, BGT or Tutu. Stopping Installation because of error." Any idea on how to get it to install correctly with BGEE? or should I go back to my tutu install on my old computer :)
  • EndaarEndaar Member Posts: 19
    Looking to revive this and a couple other threads... anyone still working on this? Would be nice to play BG1 Unfinished Business. Would also be happy to help.

Cheers...
    -E.
    Seems pretty dead to me. I recommend to try installing the non-bgee version and live with broken journal or switching back to BGT or Tutu if journal is important to you.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Bercon said:

Seems pretty dead to me. I recommend to try installing the non-bgee version and live with broken journal or switching back to BGT or Tutu if journal is important to you.

I wouldn't mind a broken journal, but I'm almost certain some UB components just don't work as of the recent version. There was mention of a new version (v14) being adapted by @CamDawg, but I would guess that BG:EE/BG2:EE is currently top priority...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Camdawg will fix eventually the journal issue, and that will help all the other mod in BG:EE (and BG2:EE).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    There's actually a fix to the journal system being tested right now...
    @mlnevese: For the upcoming patch, or as a mod component?
    @shawne For the next patch.
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    hope all testing goes well and release is standing right around the corner
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    Agreed, UB needs to be implemented for both games. At least as much of it as possible. Not excuse not to, it just polishes the game or completes things that were left off.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @mlnevese The upcoming patch fixes problems with BGEE's journal, but the problem here is that the new journal system is incompatible with mods. A solution is in the works by modders, but it'll take a while yet.
    @Kaeloree: Is the journal system the only problem with installing UB? Or are there components that should be avoided? Does the EE work with that mod at all?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited June 2013
    @shawne I couldn't tell you, I've never tried UB with BGEE, sorry!
  • lekikinou33lekikinou33 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 129
    Dee said:

What's stopping you from using Unfinished Business?
    A major obstacle in incorporating some of the more popular content mods is getting permissions from the original authors of those mods. For Unfinished Business, there have been so many co-authors over the years, and so many of them are no longer around in the modding community, that getting permission to use their content simply isn't feasible. If we can somehow find those authors sometime in the future we may take another look, but our energy is better spent creating new content and polishing existing content.

Very sad news about UB :(
    So if you know all co-authors...go to credits section
    FOR BG1UB:
    http://mods.pocketplane.net/readmes/BG1UB-Readme.html
    FOR BG2UB:
    http://mods.pocketplane.net/readmes/readme_ub.html

perhaps a hope

edited June 2013
    That's not really news. Its been known for at least 9 months already and it will not change. That is why everybody is so impatiently waiting for this mod to get ported.
    Isn't UB a mod that implement official and not finished contend in the game? Is the copyrights truly from a mod when he doesn't create something but just create links to dead content that already exist in the official product but wasn't implemented due to an excuse or another?

Even if someone argue that some parts of UB are intellectually relative to the mods that make it, that part can be remaked if needed (what would postpone the project a bit).
    edited June 2013
    @kamuizin Actually there's an entire area created by the modders in UB as well as some dialog. Some of the quests in UB are barely hinted in the code.
  • lekikinou33lekikinou33 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 129
    edited June 2013
    Bercon said:

That's not really news. Its been known for at least 9 months already and it will not change. That is why everybody is so impatiently waiting for this mod to get ported.

@Bercon so it's an official news for original game, here it's "Feature Requests" section. Now, you can create a topic in "modding" section to ask modders to find a solution for compatibility with BGEE ;)
    mlnevese said:

@kamuizin Actually there's an entire area created by the modders in UB as well as some dialog. Some of the quests in UB are barely hinted in the code.

I understand but original unfinished quests is just cut, isn't it? so content is already in the game, why do you not make restoration of cut quests?
    Unfinished Business is a mod made with dead lines of original content to cover original content not implemented, it strange to me that Beamdog has to ask permission to use those dead lines, unless Beamdog want to take the entire mod to BG:EE without change.

My thoughts are:

Take the dead lines and fresh create the lacking content.

Bercon said:

@Bercon so it's an official news for original game, here it's "Feature Requests" section. Now, you can create a topic in "modding" section to ask modders to find a solution for compatibility with BGEE ;)
    mlnevese said:

I understand but original unfinished quests is just cut, isn't it? so content is already in the game, why do you not make restoration of cut quests?
    @lekikinou33 Actually some quests only had a few dialogs and entire quests were built around those quests. others were near completed and only required triggers to work.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    kamuizin said:

Unfinished Business is a mod made with dead lines of original content to cover original content not implemented, it strange to me that Beamdog has to ask permission to use those dead lines, unless Beamdog want to take the entire mod to BG:EE without change.

My thoughts are:

Take the dead lines and fresh create the lacking content.

It's not that simple, though, as the UB restorations run the gamut. A handful involve hooking up some unused dialogue/items/etc., but most of them involve a lot of new content or expanding the few threads of existing stuff.
    edited June 2013
    @CamDawg: In theory, then, wouldn't it be possible to make a new mod - BG1EEUB, as it were - which only involve those specific materials which were unused/broken/damaged? I'm thinking here specifically of Kagain's quest, that's something that should not have stayed as it was in the EE...
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    I've just installed UB into BG:EE. The installation went without a hitch. I'll be testing it over the next few days.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    shawne said:

@CamDawg: In theory, then, wouldn't it be possible to make a new mod - BG1EEUB, as it were - which only involve those specific materials which were unused/broken/damaged? I'm thinking here specifically of Kagain's quest, that's something that should not have stayed as it was in the EE...

In theory there's nothing stopping OverDog from creating the whole mod from the same research that the UB team did. Priority--before the legal issues at least--was on bug fixes though.