Skip to content

[MOD]BGO Weidu Install

wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
edited March 2014 in General Modding
Updated: Version 1.3 allows to choose between fixed bugs and now allows you to install bows that attack 3/2 rounds instead of twice a round.

BGO is done and ready for BG1:EE. It doesn't do anything magical, just does it differently. I only recreated stuff already out there if I could do it as well, or if it was needed to be a part of the mod. There are many things not added, but would enhance this mod in other mods created. I have already started doing BG2:EE which is mostly the same besides some string locations and items.

The list below is pretty accurate, but not nearly all-inclusive. The description upgrades are worth the install alone :)

This mod is based on the premise of Full Plate and Packing Steel but takes it further and the scope is larger. It is also focused extending choices in armor and weapons.

Here is the scope:
1. Make a distinction between armor and avoidance.

AC now refers to "Avoidance Class" (though the name in the game remains the same). There are 3 types of ways to avoid damage. Dodging, blocking and parrying. Obviously this isn't how D&D checks attacks and thusly, the limitation of the engine requires all 3 to be lumped together. Not the worst thing, but not optimal. While there is no need to make a distinction between these 3 types of avoiding damage, it is good to do so in terms of understanding how it works.

Armor now affects resistances to attack types. This overlaps with pretty much what FPAPS did. I have done some things differently. Armor does not give any innate AC bonus and actually lowers your ability to avoid damage depending on the type of armor. Enchantments to armor give bonuses as follows:
Light +2 AC + 1 resist
Medium: +1 AC +2 resist
Heavy: +3 resist

Various enchanted armors also give some saving throw bonuses as well. Since armor cannot increase AC innately, you can wear enchanted armor with other items that increase AC.

2. Avoidance can be increased in various ways. Dexterity increases AC as usual. Shields have been given closer to 3e AC values (Large shield give +3 whereas Small Shields give +1). Weapon styles have been adjusted to focus on certain defensive methods and weapon types. All weapon styles can have up to 5 proficiency points. Sword and Shield gets a bonus of up to 8 AC where as single weapon style gets up to 5.

3. Items have been added and adjusted. Random rings and amulets have been given small enchantments and are found at random. Leather, chain and plate boots and gloves can be purchased and increase resistances but lower other stats as a by product.

4. HP will be distributed in a different way. One underlying problem with almost all role playing games is the differentiation between defense and hit points. HP are just an innate method to resist damage. It never made sense that the biggest HP influence you receive is at level 2 where you can double your HP. You start out and gain HP earlier and it tapers out more quickly.

5. Stats have been moved to 3ed standards with bonuses starting at level 12 and increasing every 2 points. Everyone can get extra HP from constitution and get a small regen bonus much earlier (which should cut down on the need to rest as much but not affect combat).

6. Weapon proficiencies have been expanded for all classes. Fighter types still reap the most rewards but all classes can specialize or even master some weapons for their class. In turn, proficiency points are rewarded more often. Multiclass characters will be able to get 5 stars in weapons that the non-fighter class can use, and 2 stars in the others (except for clerics).

7. Some classes and kits will have slight changes to accommodate these new rules. Clerics will max out at medium armor and dwarven defender and barbarian's damage resistance will be adjusted (as they will heal per hit at over 100%).

8. Defensive spells will also make more sense, focusing on AC or resistance.

9. THAC0 and saving throws will be adjusted to reflect 3ed or make more logical sense.

10. All classes will have extended APR.

This was done so you could't take advantage of more than 40 levels with dual and multiclassing and to give non fighters an offensive boost. In addition, fighters can now reach the 5 APR without having a lame off-hand weapon.

The plan is to increase options for your characters as well as have armor make more sense. I know this is recreating the wheel in some aspects, but the plan is to not just make a wheel, but an entire car. Anyway, whether this gets 0 replies or 100 replies, I'll post the mod here when it is complete and maybe it'll give a fresh new way to play through BG and eventually BG2. In some ways, this will make the game significantly harder, and in some ways, easier. My plan is to strike a nice balance between both.
Post edited by wolpak on

Comments

• wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    Figured there wouldn't be much feedback, but I added #10 giving additional attacks based on class level to all classes.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Actually, this looks interesting. I don't anything constructive to offer, as I'm not good when in comes to balance issues or DnD lore. But like I said, interesting and thanks.
    @Illustair Thanks for the comment. I definitely am not focused on D&D lore as much as adding a different component and trying to balance it. Fortunately, the base game isn't really balanced too well, so I think it shouldn't be too hard.
    Update: Armor and items are done. Working my way through Weidu to get them implemented correctly. At the very least, i have a new found respect for the guys who have been keeping this up to date and releasing the more complex mods.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    Sounds very interessting. I never liked that heavy armor helped in not getting hit.
    I tried other mods like "Full Plate..." but I didn't like that you doged better in leather armor than without an armor. YOu idea sounds very good to me.

How about compatiblity to other Mods? Will it also change Mod items?
    In defense of "Full Plate" it is completely customizable, so you could adjust any setting that it had implemented. I am not using it since I wanted to have more options and it was easier to do it manually than to add to his code.

The plan is to make it as compatible as possible. It will not change any mod items as I update them all by hand. Of course, adding compatibility for mod items shouldn't be a problem as can just overwrite them, but obviously that will be after I have this complete for BG and BG2.

The goal is to make everything complement each other, but also make it modular so you can obviously choose what you want.
    edited February 2014
    I'll throw a screen shot up later, but the basic look of the item info screen will be like this, but obviously formatted nicely:

Requirements:
    4 Strength

STATISTICS:

Physical Resistances:
    (Slash/Crush/Pierce/Missile)
    20% 5% 5% 5%

Other Resistances:
    (Magic/Fire/Ice)
    0% 0% 0%

Avoidance Class:
    (Base/Slash/Crush/Pierce/Missile)
    0 0 0 0 0

Saves:
    (Death/Wands/Petrif/Breath/Spells)
    0 0 0 0 0

Impairments:
    (Hide/Move/Open/Disarm/Pick/Arcane)
    0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%

Other Impairments:
    (Init/Speed/Fat/Weight)
    0 0% 0 10
    For those who care, the BG version is almost done. Have some more text updates to do, but have about 90% done. Hopefully this will be interesting to some people. Here is a basic outline of changes being made (obviously the readme will be a lot more descriptive).

Baldur's Gate Overhaul Mod

This mod separates Armor Class (now named Avoidance Class) from Damage Resistance. This mod has been heavily influenced by Full Plate and Packing Steel.

I. Item Changes
    a)Armor Adjustments
    b)Belt Changes
    c)Boot Changes
    d)Glove and Gauntlet Changes
    e)Helmet Changes
    f)Necklace and Amulet Changes
    g)Ring Changes
    h)Shield Changes

II. Proficiency Changes
    a)Weapon and Style Proficiencies
    1.BOTH Weapon and Style Prof Changes
    2.Weapon Prof Changes ONLY
    3.Style Changes ONLY
    b)Increase Proficiency Rate
    c)Alter Bonuses from Proficiency Points
    d)3e Style Strength
    e)3e Style Dexterity
    f)3e Style Constitution
    g)3e Style Constitution AND Expanded Regen
    h)Intelligence Changes
    1.Max Spells per level
    2.Always Learn Spell
    3.Max Spells AND Always Learn Spell
    i)Expanded Charisma bonus
    j)3e Style THAC0 (BAB)
    k)Front End distributed HPs for all classes
    l)Rebalanced Saving Throw Tables
    m)Better Lore Distribution and Bonus
    n)Expanded Racial Weapon bonuses

III.General Class Changes
    a)Allow Druids to have any neutral alignment
    b)Allow any race to be any class (except Dwarven Defender)
    c)Adjust Paladin MIN Charisma to allow Dwarf Paladins
    d)Expanded Spell List for Paladin, Ranger and Bard
    e)Additional Attacks for Thieves and Bards
    f)Additional Attacks for Clerics and Druids
    g)Additional Attack for Mages and Sorcerers
    h)Additional Attack for Fighters, Paladins, Barbarians and Rangers
    1.Additional Attacks Only
    2.Delayed Bonus Attack from Proficiency
    3.BOTH Additional Attacks and Delayed Bonus Attack from Proficiency

IV.Kit Changes
    a)Beastmasters can use spears
    b)Barbarians get 1% damage resistance every 2 levels
    c)djust Dwarven Defender abilities for damage resistance armor
    d)Blackguards use Cleric HP table
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    This mod deserves more credit. But don't mind that, just look at Van Gogh's posthumous fame. Just keep doing the good work. I wouldn't mind clarifications on some of the mod changes though, like 3E stats. So my suggestion would be to add screenshots, maybe also some tabular data if any is needed for clarity (e.g. Stat bonuses), use indentation (for readability), use more descriptions as to changes, enclose them into spoilers (for readability), etc. While all of us here can read, many would like it visually appealing than just a chunk of text like (like my post now I guess haha).
    Thanks. A lot of it has been done in bits and pieces before and I don't want to redo the work of other people as much as just have a solid and balanced set of changes that improve gameplay.

I'll post the while read me and in the mod will be a spreadsheet of pretty much all changes I make.
    An update for those who are following along:

Major changes and a "breakthrough" on managing descriptions has allowed me to make this mod even more customizable than before. The only requisite piece is using my class descriptions. Every text update is based on my revisions (and honestly, they are MUCH better than the default descriptions that came with the game).

However, since this is so modular, I must update each string appropriately with each possible change. It definitely adds a nice touch when the in game descriptions are up to date especially when you make so many changes.
    The mod is pretty much done and I am going to test a few things tonight to make sure it works properly. Will need to play through it for balancing issues (assuming there are others who want to play it). It is very customizable and should work with most other mods that do not modify the same things. Here is my rough readme which may or may not get better depending on demand.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,206
    Very interesting mod this one. Unfortunately, the most annoying aspect of Full plate and packing steel remains even here. Speed impairments for armors. I mean, the game really doesn't need characters moving slower than they already do, and party definitely doesn't need mages walking faster than frontliners.
    Impressive work though...
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I can see your point since you really can't have variable speeds. In concept, the makes should walk slower intentionally.

I'll make an option to remove that. Full plate allows you to not have movement detriment either.
    wolpak said:

Full plate allows you to not have movement detriment either.

It does? I played with it shortly a long time ago, I don't think there was an option then. I remember I couldn't stand it. Anyway, the option to remove it will be awesome.

@Pecca‌

It comes with a modifiable list that allows you to adjust any setting. Anyway, I'll probably just remove the movement penalty as most people would just not choose that option anyway.
    Added option to use armor without movement penalty.
    Nice. It still remains in descriptions, but that's no problem.
    Oh thanks for the heads up. Forgot that. Will fix later.
    Updated with fixed descriptions.
    For those interested, I am working on a weapons component that meshes well with the new proficiency system. It uses a similar line on reasoning with respect to the armor changes.

Weapons are separated into categories (light, medium and heavy) which have inherent THAC0 penatlies while single wielding or dual wielding. Some classes have changed and damage has been modified as well.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @wolpak that's an unexpected mod...I may tried it since the waiting for new version of Item Revisions is killing me.
    Is it compatible with other mods? I plan to use some mods mainly from this list and I wonder if you think any of these could not play nice with your BGO.
    It definitely depends on what you want and what you install out of my mod.

The main component is my text updates. I have put in a system that allows me to make minor changes that can be updated textually. So, if you have a mod that updates a field that I update, then there would be a conflict. My item updates drop my item files into the override folder instead of pulling them out and updating them. Thus, if you want my changes AND someone elses, my item changes may need to be installed first so their mod can update MY files. Once I am done, I can try to put together a white sheet of what to expect regarding other mods.

Most will work and I'll be testing quite a few on my game. Many will work, but not take advantage of my changes. Ie- new items that don't fallow suit with my item changes. New Kits that don't add attacks or display changes. Not that it would create a conflict in usage, just in consistency.

That being said, I have no problem adding items into mine that are in other popular mods.
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 116
    edited March 2014
    The armor and AC changes seem so great. I remember when I first played Baldur's Gate back in the old days. Me and my kid friends thought it looked so silly that characters would just stand there and swing their weapons at each other without ever hitting. Thanks for making this great mod!

EDIT: One question. The mod description states that gloves and boots can be bought in various shops, but I can only seem to find them in Winthrops Candlekeep shop. I have searched in Nashkel, Friendly arm Inn and Beregost with no results.
    Post edited by Thalamond on
    Thanks for the positive feedback. I am still in the process of my weapons overhaul, which should synergize very nicely (if you are interested in it). It will change some of the original stuff in this mod, but for better balance.

So here is a list of the stores where the new items are sold: hopefully :)

High Hedge: 4 new belts
    CandleKeep: Leather boots and gloves, chain boots and gloves
    Feldpost Inn: Leather Boots and Gloves
    Thunderhammer Smithy: Chain and Plate boots and gloves
    Silence: Leather Boots and Gloves +1
    Maltz: Chain Boots and Gloves +1
    Ulgoth: All Boots and Gloves +1

All amulets and necklaces are a part of random loot (hope you have found some)
    Just checked Felepost inn again - no leather boots and gloves there. No Chain and plate boots and gloves at Thunderhammer either. I suppose I have some strange bug or something?
    @Thalamond‌ It was probably my fault. I cleaned some things up, loaded the game and went to High Hedge and the Smithy and they were all there. Just delete the old BGO folder and grab the one out of the new 1.3.1 7z file I put up. Run the installer saying no to everything except the boots and gloves. It should work as designed. If they still don't show up, go into your override folder and delete out the .sto files my mod put in there (the store files). Then try again.
    Thank you. By the way If I can make a request for when you are done with the BG 2 version, it would be to add compatibility with Dark Horizons first of all :-).
    You can make as many requests as you'd like and I'll give you credit in the readme.
    edited March 2014
    Sweet :). By the way your suggestion didn't fix my problem :(. I wonder if old save games mess things up or if Weidu needs some special setting now that it didn't earlier? All I did was install the mod with every feature (no movement penalties) and I even tried this on a fresh install without mods this time.

edit: I keep getting errors on startup with your mod installed something with syntax and strings. Uninstalling your mod fixes this problem. Don't know what the problem is.