Skip to content

Inconsistency in Viconia's Tastes

2»

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Shandyr said:

Perhaps he is particularly ugly for one of his breed?

Nope. He's definitely particularly handsome for one of his kind.
    Makes me want to fawn over him, but when I remember that he's a blackguard I recoil in horror :(

(I know I know that's just how I view him ;) )
    LOL.

One person's beauty is another person's Ernest Borgnine.

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Loub said:

If you choose to sleep with Dorn while romancing Viccy, she ends her romance immediately with a very firm "You disgust me." I have no idea how Dorn reacts if you choose her instead.

Surely there must have been more than that, given Viconia's usual eloquence
    Nope. None that I saw.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @abacus
    I take your point, but contend that in such cases, sequels are made only if the first film makes money. The original sells the sequel - the writer becomes secondary and replaceable.
    Baldur's Gate has had a sequel for well over a decade - Dorn is addition to an existing product. It'd be more akin to someone remaking, for example, The Godfather 1 & 2 and writing in a new character, which would never happen.

TV is a different beast. Nearly every show in existence has/had a rotating group of writers. A weekly production schedule is typically too demanding to put on the shoulders of the show's creators over the run of a series, which, if successful, can last for years.

Given all this, I'm not sure the analogies hold up.
    Sorry to get off topic.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    edited February 2014
    Blank
    Post edited by Shar on
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    Shar said:

See this confuses me. Look at Dorn. Hes not ugly. Hes like an extremely manly elf with tusks. Hes pretty much man pretty. Also pretty much with Recklessheart said. I honestly wonder if Overhaul had any experienced writers or if they were all just programers doubling up. I'm not saying this as an insult, if they did this it makes total sense. They are a small company after all, but it'd explain some of the writing.

He may not be ugly but what if he is like a horse from the waste down? Or > horse. Maybe thats what scares people?
    I'm sure that if he is as hung as a horse like you imply he would be even more popular with MSM.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    edited February 2014
    Blank
    Post edited by Shar on
    Guys, not to be a spoilsport, and I don't mean to backseat mod, but within the last week there's already been an admonishment (from @mlnevese I believe), for discussing genitalia on this, a PG-13 forum. Just a heads up.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    First and last warning. This is a PG 13 forum. Next post not respecting the rules will have this thread closed.
    jackjack said:

Guys, not to be a spoilsport, and I don't mean to backseat mod, but within the last week there's already been an admonishment (from @mlnevese I believe), for discussing genitalia on this, a PG-13 forum. Just a heads up.

mlnevese said:

First and last warning. This is a PG 13 forum. Next post not respecting the rules will have this thread closed.

Err... There goes my idea of a thread for the discussion of angiospermic genitalia. They come in such varied shapes, sizes, smells and colors, and I'm sure most people find them pleasing to the eye, olfactory receptors and taste buds. But with this non-genitalia rule in effect, I guesss the discussion of flowers is off-limits.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited February 2014
    @Heindrich
    Heindrich said:

2) As I said, criticisms of the game and the work of Beamdog are not against the forum rules, but I personally don't see the need to be a "blunt asswipe" for the sake of it. There is a difference between expressing an opinion, and being unnecessarily rude and dismissive of somebody's hard work and endeavour.

This amuses me, because in my eyes, I see my criticism as actually being fair, but I am willing to poke fun at myself, particularly my critical tendencies, to lighten the mood somewhat. If it's not too bold to say, I think that playfully calling myself a "blunt asswipe" actually made my post seem worse in your eyes than it actually is. Most people seem to take little issue with my bluntness, now all of a sudden when I make fun of myself for it, it's a big deal? I'm confused. I tried to make things more playful and somehow that made it worse..?

Not necessarily. She says "your appearance," not "your race." Dorn's the one who took it as a hit at his race, but that's not what she said.

Note, however, that she makes no attempt to correct him. Seems pretty open to interpretation.

This.
    edited February 2014

In all fairness I doubt he has much time to wash out in the great big world. When you think about it adventurers have hardly any time at all to devout to hygiene. You get 8 hours of rest and I bet they spend that mostly sleeping. They are also constantly walking around sewers and dungeons and lord knows the hygiene habits of the average goblin. Personally, the one thing I think as a must have for every adventurer is very thick boots.

Honestly, I really wonder where Branwen finds time to apply her make up every day.

"A lady always has some secrets", as my mother always says.
    When all else fails, though, you can always use magic as an excuse. Seriously, you have spells to bring people back from the dead, regenerate limbs, and even block pregnancy - there MUST be at least a simple cantrip to keep you squeaky clean, right?
    And judging by Viconia's hair in BG2, there's no way she doesn't apply hair conditioner everyday.
    I also have the source (unphotoshopped) image they used for Viconia somewhere in my computer. Unfortunately, it's definitely not safe for work, due to the model's exposed funbags.
    I also wonder... Do they wear bras in Faerûn? Or any underwear for that matter? Or do they go commando, like true scotsmen?
    edited February 2014
    Quartz said:

This amuses me, because in my eyes, I see my criticism as actually being fair, but I am willing to poke fun at myself, particularly my critical tendencies, to lighten the mood somewhat. If it's not too bold to say, I think that playfully calling myself a "blunt asswipe" actually made my post seem worse in your eyes than it actually is. Most people seem to take little issue with my bluntness, now all of a sudden when I make fun of myself for it, it's a big deal? I'm confused. I tried to make things more playful and somehow that made it worse..?

I don't mean to antagonize, but I agree with and share this sentiment. In my experience, people terming themselves anything along the lines of "blunt asswipe", are not taking themselves very seriously, which I personally respect. It's not easy to do, honestly. Far too many people do take themselves whysoseriously, and the problem is exponentially exacerbated online. The world needs contrarians, and we are well served by them, ruffled feathers notwithstanding.
    Baldur's Gate is arguably the greatest CRPG saga in the history of the genre. To hold the people in charge of its enhancement to a high standard is no crime.
    Admittedly, I've only been lurking since late 2012, didn't register for another year, but I have never seen @Quartz descend into vulgarity, malice, or personal attacks.
    Edit: All that blathering and I misspelled the word for. Typical jackjack.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    CrevsDaak said:

@Heindrich I'm surprised that you had Viconia in your party, I mean... You've killed a Flaming Fist Enforcer! Or it was BG2? Anyway you have to commit a not so good act in both games, unless you were playing Chaotic Good, so saving her was good intentioned... No matter what I'm surprised.

Well, in both cases you kill people trying to murder a woman who hasn't actually committed any crimes other than having coal-black skin.

Also, the priest running the stake-burning is one of Beshaba, a Chaotic Evil deity, so he's not in any way squeaky-clean himself.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @CrevsDaak
    I saved her in my first ever playthrough cos:
    1) I wanted to see all the NPCs (I did miss quite a few, like Alora, Skie and Tiax) and have them in my party for a little bit so I could check them out.

2) I didn't know at that stage that the Flaming Fists were the 'good guys'. May I refer you to the following thread from my noobie days.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19486/how-important-is-reputation

But anyway I mostly just know about Viconia through LPs that I've watched.

@Quartz

Mod hat remains firmly off... I grew up in Britain, I totally appreciate self-depreciating humour. :P And perhaps I should have made it clearer that my (personal) issue is not with "blunt asswipe" per say. It was more aimed at the following line:

"This, except get rid of the "not to belittle the work of Overhaul" part."

Which seems unnecessarily disrespectful to all those who worked hard at these games, some of whom you know are active on this forum. I am merely expressing my support for them and a wish that critics would express themselves in a more constructive manner. But hey, their official policy for the forum is that they are very lenient about flak directed at themselves, but strict on abuse aimed at other users, so I am merely expressing my personal opinion, much like you are expressing yours.

I should point out that my comments are also not directly specifically at comments in this thread, which is generally good-natured, and I never intended to participate until summoned. But I guess to provide a little example of what I mean about forum etiquette...

I personally dislike the fact that fully half of the new EE NPCs are evil. I also dislike the fact that all the EE content is associated with those new NPCs.

I could express those opinions (I just did), and if others do so as well, Overhaul might in the future take note and offer redeeming pathways for new evil characters, and/or add content that's accessible without specific characters. That would be 'constructive criticism'.

What I could also do is express my dissatisfaction with those two points by saying "BG:EE sucks! I'll never use Dorn or Hexxat, I don't know why they bothered with those stupid evil characters! I want to go to Shou Lung, but f' that, I'm not having Hexxat in my party!". Which expresses the same point, but in a way that's less pleasant, which is, in my opinion, unnecessary.

Since this is already a wall of text, I shall build it taller with a copy-paste from a related topic.

Chaotic_Good said:
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.-Socrates. Rude is really a matter of perspective some people believe it is insulting to be corrected when it should be thought of as a kindness to free one from ignorance.

Me:

I disagree with this statement. I shall respond with in two ways to illustrate my point. (So I hope you will not actually take offence from the second response).

1) Civilised/Nice

Whilst I agree with with Socrates' love of knowledge and learning, I disagree with not only his statement, if understood literally, and also your assertion based on Socrates' statement.

There are clearly other forms of evil in the world beyond ignorance. I can be hateful and carry out despicable acts of evil with full knowledge that I am committing evil.

Even if you are correct about something, you can educate somebody in a reasoned and civilised manner, or you can be unnecessarily rude, hurtful and cruel.

2) Rude/Douche/Troll

Wow you sure sound like a right asshole! "What I say is always correct and I am doing you a kindness in delivering much needed enlightenment to your dull simian mind! I quote Socrates, I am so smart! Disgreeing with me is ignorance, the only true evil in the world!"

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Heindrich said:

2) I didn't know at that stage that the Flaming Fists were the 'good guys'.

They actually aren't the "good guys". They are mercenaries working for the baldur's gate dukes.
    That's pretty much it.

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

In all fairness I doubt he has much time to wash out in the great big world. When you think about it adventurers have hardly any time at all to devout to hygiene. You get 8 hours of rest and I bet they spend that mostly sleeping. They are also constantly walking around sewers and dungeons and lord knows the hygiene habits of the average goblin. Personally, the one thing I think as a must have for every adventurer is very thick boots.

Honestly, I really wonder where Branwen finds time to apply her make up every day.

This is one of the reasons I find romances rather... unappealing. The party lives an eternal camping trip in a medieval world. I've been on the road for extended periods of time in the modern world; from hotel to hotel, where they have at least normal bathrooms. It's still not pretty to be - for day or weeks - in a car full of people with minimal (modern world standards) hygiene, and that doesn't even include frequent camping in the wilderness. I have rarely seen romance blossom in these days, under these circumstances. Crush or not, only few people are that inclinded to get closer to someone who hasn't properly showered in days.

Somewhat more on topic, neither the side saying "Dorn is handsome" is right, nor is the side saying "Dorn/Half-orcs are ugly". Half-orcs vary in appearance a lot; some can pass as tall, bulky humans, others look clearly orcish. That Viconia finds one particular half-orc unattractive doesn't mean a thing except that she's not interested in Dorn. No-one finds "all humans" attractive. On the flipside, I would find it pretty weird if there was someone who found "all half-orcs" attractive. Tastes differ and rarely depend solely on the species (or in real life, race), just like appearance within a species (or race) differs. Not all Asians look the same. Someone who generally likes Asians will not find all of them equally attractive and might also be attracted to someone who isn't Asian. So, it's not weird at all that Viconia doesn't fancy Dorn, but will romance half-orcs. It's perfectly normal.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

This is one of the reasons I find romances rather... unappealing. The party lives an eternal camping trip in a medieval world. I've been on the road for extended periods of time in the modern world; from hotel to hotel, where they have at least normal bathrooms. It's still not pretty to be - for day or weeks - in a car full of people with minimal (modern world standards) hygiene, and that doesn't even include frequent camping in the wilderness. I have rarely seen romance blossom in these days, under these circumstances. Crush or not, only few people are that inclinded to get closer to someone who hasn't properly showered in days.

Somewhat more on topic, neither the side saying "Dorn is handsome" is right, nor is the side saying "Dorn/Half-orcs are ugly". Half-orcs vary in appearance a lot; some can pass as tall, bulky humans, others look clearly orcish. That Viconia finds one particular half-orc unattractive doesn't mean a thing except that she's not interested in Dorn. No-one finds "all humans" attractive. On the flipside, I would find it pretty weird if there was someone who found "all half-orcs" attractive. Tastes differ and rarely depend solely on the species (or in real life, race), just like appearance within a species (or race) differs. Not all Asians look the same. Someone who generally likes Asians will not find all of them equally attractive and might also be attracted to someone who isn't Asian. So, it's not weird at all that Viconia doesn't fancy Dorn, but will romance half-orcs. It's perfectly normal.

Dirty or not, running around killing monsters is stressful, and even stinky curves are still alluring. If a flirtatious drow or slutty pirate gal slithers into my bedroll, I doubt I'll care if they're smelling a bit ripe.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Quartz said:

I appreciate what Overhaul has done, but I'd personally like to tell the writer(s) that they are bad, and whoever made the decision that new content is only given in relation to the new NPCs should probably be punched.

Baldur's Gate is a videogame. Please grow up and gain a sense of perspective on what is and is not important.

Quartz said:

I'd personally like to tell the writer(s) that they are bad

Mission accomplished.

Now seriously, how the hell did the thread reach this point? This wasn't what I had foreseen, I expected a post from @Viconia_DeVir and some discussion on her romance, but never something so grand as a writer posting in the thread, especially not in these unfavorable circumstances.
    @AndrewFoley - I personally don't consider the writing bad, in fact, some of the storylines are much better than the ones written by Bioware. I, in behalf of all of the transient present here, would like to apologize for any hurtful comments made by my fellows - they were definitely uncalled for, and it was never my intention to see the thread devolve into... this.
    @Heindrich - I think it is definitely time to bury this discussion, it has degenerated past the point of no return, as I said, the thread has deteriorated into a garbled-up madness comprising subjects such as genital size, personal offenses towards the staff and even threats of physical harm! Truly this is not acceptable.
This discussion has been closed.