Skip to content

Asian portraits for BG - the Romance of the Three Kingdoms pack

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
edited October 2014 in Fan Creations
Ladies and gentlemen, dear BG community!

It is my great pleasure and honour to introduce you new portraits that can be used for your beloved Baldur's Gate characters.

The portrait pack that I will gather here in the coming weeks will include more than 500 (!) pictures of warriors, officers, thinkers and so on. It will provide male portraits, female portraits, portraits of young characters, old characters to suit any taste.

Personally, I was simply stunned when I first saw them. The amount of work put into these pictures is colossal. Of course, there're many wonderful portraits for Baldur's Gate characters (alternate PC and NPC portraits) by different artists already. But it's never bad to have more, don't you think?

I've always felt the special need to have more oriental faces in portraits for BG. And it seems now it will be possible.

The portraits in this thread belong to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series. ROTK is the most popular novel in Asia. Written 600 years ago, it tells the epic of Han Dynasty in China during the 2nd and 3rd century. Sometimes I look at this old story and marvel to see it glow as the time goes by.

The Japanese video game developer Tecmo Koei (http://www.koei.com/) has been making Romance of the Three Kingdoms games for 30 years already. Their artwork is awesome. That's why I've decided to make a portraits pack for Baldur's Gate with the portraits from this series.

A wonderful http://kongming.net/ site is dedicated to the novel, games and the history behind them. Under the guidance of James Peirce, the owner of that site, several Romance of the Three Kingdoms Portraits Projects were completed.

Following the advice of @Troodon80 , I managed to speak to James Peirce in order to introduce the portraits to the whole BG community. The artwork for those portraits is the intellectual property of Tecmo Koei but Koei is usually very kind to fans of their games in terms of not-for-profit use. So, it became possible to make this pack. I invited James Peirce to visit this thread so maybe we'll hear from him in the future.

In this thread I will focus on portraits from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI (http://www.koei.com/rtkxipc/). Every portrait is modified to suit the needed requirements of BG so that you can download what you like and use for your characters.

UPDATE 29.10.2014: Now the portrait pack includes 220 portraits. You can download them at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4ieignj0ohs6gk/ROTK 220 portraits for BG.rar?dl=0
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Interesting. Found a small bug though: CaiYanM is 169x256 large, instead of the usual 169x266 for M-sized portraits.
  • batjellybatjelly Member Posts: 25
    Just wanna tell you how awesome the portraits are! I can have an entire party from Kara-Tur now!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @booinyoureyes‌ I'm speechless when I look at these portraits, a beauty indeed. The level of details and the general treatment of historical paintings is obvious.

These portraits are from a computer game Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11. It's a strategy and is a little bit hard but the artwork is very solid. http://worthplaying.com/article/2009/2/17/reviews/58998/

The portraits for me were an astonishing find and I decided to make them available for all BG fans. It cannot be done quickly but I will add more and more portraits that are BG-compatible and hope you all will like it.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    batjelly said:

Just wanna tell you how awesome the portraits are! I can have an entire party from Kara-Tur now!

@batjelly

From Shou Lung or T'u Lung more accurately speaking... at a stretch maybe Koryo. These guys are not Yoshimo and Tamoko's compatriots, that's for sure! :P

@bengoshi

In my search for "Shou portraits", I've come across some of these before, but I never realised just how expansive the collection was! And unlike Dynasty Warriors, these aren't over the top and fit reasonably well with BG portraits. Some of them are extremely iconic characters in China/East Asia, and I recognise a few even though I've never played this game before. Only major downside is that, given the game is based on a historic epic, there's too many bearded old men and too few female characters.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Headwears, headwears. Headwears as far as the eye can see! :p

Still, their clothes are a tad too extravagant and colourful for my roleplaying needs. Are there some more "rugged" portraits, possible featuring fur or leather armour? Something which could fit a Tuigan/Mongol would be ideal. Like in this AD&D cover, for instance:

• FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited March 2014

Headwears, headwears. Headwears as far as the eye can see! :p

Still, their clothes are a tad too extravagant and colourful for my roleplaying needs. Are there some more "rugged" portraits, possible featuring fur or leather armour? Something which could fit a Tuigan/Mongol would be ideal. Like in this AD&D cover, for instance:

It's easy to photoshop the colors a little but considering that most of the characters in ROTG are high-ranking officials their attires were made of silk with extravagant motives >.< and the main characters are high-ranking warriors from a period when Jurchen, Mongols and other Northern barbarian tribes were considered just that: barbarians!
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    They're very pleasing to look at. I hope the artist could play BG and make tons of BG portraits - PC and NPCs.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

bengoshi said:

Of course, there're many wonderful portraits for Baldur's Gate characters (alternate PC and NPC portraits) by different artists already. But it's never bad to have more, don't you think?

The only bad thing about having a large and ever-growing portrait selection is that I never get to use all of it...
    One more contributing factor to my restartitis…sigh
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited March 2014
    The game looks good and very complex. It also only has low system requirements; I bet it would work on my netbook with Intel GMA 3600. What do you think @bengoshi‌, have you tried the game? Gaming laptop broke a few months ago.

PS: sorry for somewhat derailing the thread.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    How about Lü Bu?

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Hey, these portraits are great, thanks for sharing :D
    Finding fitting portraits for Asian looking characters is rather difficult, since most of them are rather manga-esque. But these are perfect!
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @bengoshi pretty pretty please can you tell me the names of any of the artists. I thunk these are stunning portraits - and I know I have seen them in artists galleries over the years - but my memory is rubbish (side effects of my medication) and I can't remember who did them :( I'd love to include some on my blog abut women warriors, and the thread here.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @kiwidoc‌ Just an FYI, he is vacationing until late August.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @jackjack thanks for the info. I can wait till he gets back :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Buttercheese‌ For that reason alone, I've made this thread. Asian portraits are indeed are hard to find.

@kiwidoc‌

Unfortunately, I don't know if we can find out what the artists are - all the artwork is the intellectual property of Tecmo Koei and there're many artists involved, I suppose.

FOR ALL OF YOU, interested in even more Asian portraits by Tecmo Koei, see

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Nobunaga's_Ambition_Images and

http://threekingdoms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms_XI_Portraits

There're tons of greatly done portraits there that are suitable for BG.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @bengoshi‌ are you gonna upload more great portraits for us or you got tired to upload them here? :)
    Btw thank you for sharing really nice once.
    @bengoshi‌ You should change avatar to this one :P looks more fitting.

@bengoshi‌ Thank you.