Skip to content

[MOD][BETA] Tome and Blood: More Options for Wizards and Sorcerers

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

Also, balance-wise, I think the poison should still be a periodic ability, not added to every attack. Even if it's in your blood, you still need to prepare it for use. Your blood doesn't come spurting out at someone every time you stab them with a dagger...

I just had an amusing thought of you like throwing your blood at someone with one arm and stabbing them with the other. Does that count as two-weapon fighting? Ranged weapon in the off hand (blood) and dagger in the main? XD
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

@Mykra, I can definitely include an Oracle of [Bhaal] in the next patch. Thank you for fleshing out the idea so much; it is always nice (and much faster) when someone comes with a fully fleshed out kit idea. :)

@Darkersun, the reason that Oracles are not in BG:EE yet is due to the spell selection dialogue's reliance on a new trigger that is in BG2EE and IWDEE but is not yet in BGEE. The next round of patches to the games should fix this; I am also investigating alternative methods.

Item creation will improve once this feature is in bgee...
    Vallmyr said:

I just realized something.
    How would our Bhaal priest oracle guy use stealth? Isn't the UI bound to each class? Would the class have to rely on invisibility in order to gain backstabs?

He would use his invisibility spells, but it might be possible to incorporate a hide via script. I have an idea of how to do it, but I need to test it. I think detect trap might work well...maybe bard song...
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    It is possible to code Stealth using scripts (at least for specific characters). I guess you could extend to any character by adding a state-check to BALDUR.BCS and having an innate ability that sets the state to the emulated Stealth state.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    If it's Battlemage related IDS stuff, it's almost certainly got to do with SPECIFIC.IDS.

I'll add the "I/S/A" question at the beginning and remove groups as possible.

I'll also look into the incompatibility issues.
    edited February 2015
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    Mykra said:

[Spoiler]

Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep (Normally open to all spellcasters, but probably best to just be a Mage specialization to prevent a glut.)

Bonuses:
    *Spell Knowledge: Gains a bonus of X/Y to saves vs magic at levels X/Y

*Quicken Spell: Casting Times reduced by X/Y at levels X/Y.

*Metamagic: Gains a bonus to magical damage of X/Y at levels X/Y. (The Arcane Scholars big thing were the ability to empower spells to do more damage. It would probably be easier to just give a damage bonus instead of creating new empowered versions of spells that required high level spell unlocks.)

*The Weave is All: Is a specialized Mage but has no opposing schools. Does not gain the normal extra spell per spell level of a specialized caster but instead gains as innate powers: One casting of Identify at Level X, one casting of Vocalize at Level X, and one casting of Secret Word at Level X. (Can be tweaked however you like, but seems like they would lean more towards knowledge spells or defensive spells).

*Magical Scholar: Increased Lore per level up, and no weapon proficiencies gained past the one gained at level one. (Would say none at all, but that could wreck other mods like wizard staves, or peoples character concepts.)

*Studious upbringing: CON penalty of -4 at character creation (preventing any bonus HP on the character). May not use the armored casting part of your mod.

*Disciplined learning: No dual classing allowed, no Chaotic alignments.

[/spoiler]

I second this big time! I'd be playing only this class :P

Although I'd prefer something like Non-detection or Wizard Eye instead of Secret Word as the third "free casting" gained. Dispelling is a bit too powerful :)
  • WithgilWithgil Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2015
    Two small problems with the item parts of the mod:
    Can use armor without a problem but cant wear helmets.
    Can use bows but cant use arrows.
    Other Mods that add/change items that I use: "Scales of Balance" "More Stylesf for Mages" and "Monastic Orders".
    Didn't test "Tome and Blood" without the other mods though.
    Post edited by Withgil on
    Withgil said:

Two small problems with the item parts of the mod:
    Can use armor without a problem but cant wear helmets.
    Can use bows but cant use arrows.
    Other Mods that add/change items that I use: "Scales of Balance" "More Stylesf for Mages" and "Monastic Orders".
    Didn't test "Tome and Blood" without the other mods though.

Thank you for bringing these to my attention. I have added them to the list of things I need to fix for v0.5. Let me know if you encounter any more bugs.
  • DraylynDraylyn Member Posts: 7
    have you considered elevating the Dragon discplies claws to +2,@lvl X ,+3 @lvl X+5 ,+4 lvl X++...etc?? if you are going to give it natural weapon and as part of the losing 1 spell per lvl trade off make the claws continue to be useful as lvl progs
    edited February 2015
    edited February 2015
    the whole transformative body is a magical process to begin with dilieberatly intesified with based on a blood line trace.. brought to the surface and activited over prolonged magic use /exposure/practice.. so why not have the claws strike tougher opponents as .. the sorcerer goes deeper into his blood herritage.. etc....so why not as the power of the disciple have the weapons/claw mainafestation of his blood increase im not suggesting +4 /+5 til 20th 25th lvl or some point where the material version of the same would be pretty avalible anyways
    edited February 2015
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    edited February 2015
    koteko said:

Mykra said:

I second this big time! I'd be playing only this class :P

Although I'd prefer something like Non-detection or Wizard Eye instead of Secret Word as the third "free casting" gained. Dispelling is a bit too powerful :)

Thanks, I'd like to see it too :)

I just figured Secret Word made sense for a class that spent a good chunk of their time pouring over ancient texts trying to figure out secret words of power because...knowledge!
    edited February 2015
    subtledoc depending which version of monster man and dragons used to be in 2ed or 3.5 i think a formula for certain hitdice power of creature =certain lvl of magic for to hit purposes http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:True_Dragon they are treated as magic for overcoming DR and advance to being treated as epic weapons.. so yes dragon claws do progress and in an even older 2ed-3 rule set the +x fot hit purposes was linked to any creature that requires x to hit it or has Dr/ also has natural weapons equal to that value... but i do take your point about maybe being too powerful a thing to scale beyond +2.+3 honestly not certain if it should go to +4-+5 at epic lvls
    Post edited by Draylyn on
  • Drow_ArrowDrow_Arrow Member Posts: 73
    installed this on a clean install of BG:EE and made a magus, however after equipping studded leather armour it appears i'm unable to cast my magic missile spell.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Drow_Arrow I believe the Magus, Battle Mage and Oracles currently only work with BG2:EE. BG:EE still lacks certain features that need to be added or otherwise be adressed in another official patch, or so I've heard.

Come to think of it, are there any news about the Witch kit's design? If I remember correctly the only thing certain-ish were a saving throw penalty at night, or something like that. It would be nice to hear something about it, even if it's just rough possibilities. :smile:
    @Kamigoroshi ah ok i'll install it on my bg2ee installation and see if that's any better... thanks for the help =)
    edited February 2015
    ok so installed it on BG2:EE decided to roll a gnome illusionist this time to check out the kits it can move into.. when i use the ability to choose my kit the only choice is "Harper Mage", when i should also be able to choose shadow adept and red wizard as an option according to the kit description.

EDIT: tried it with an elf illusionist, same result.

EDIT 2: made a Human Magus and all seems to be well as far as wearing armour goes. though not all the spells i selected through the dialogue are visible in my casting menu (though they appear fine in my spellbook.) specifically the only spells not showing up are the level 4 spells i chose. NEVERMIND: noticed i had a level up to take somehow, and after resting after taking the level up my lvl 4 spells showed up no worries.
    Post edited by Drow_Arrow on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Sounds like you've rolled Good aligned characters. Shadow Adepts need to be of any non-good alignment, while Harper Mages require a non-evil one. Red Wizards are also restricted to humans only, on top of their non-good alignment requirement. So it makes sense that you don't see them as an gnome or elf.

The Tome and Blood .pdf manual at the OP post should provide you with all informations.
    @Kamigoroshi ah ok thanks wasn't aware of those requisites for those two kits... would still be nice for them to show even if there wasn't an option to select them or for something in the kit description to state they're alignment requirements.
    @Drow_Arrow The Magus should work in Baldurs Gate EE, I am playing one at the moment.
    But the class is still a little bit buggy because of the flawed item components of the mod. (No helmet and no arrows equipable)
    The Oracle only works in BG2 EE and IWD EE because of the spell selection menu which isnt available for BG EE.
    @Withgil yeah thanks for the information.. it worked in the end =)
    I'm wondering. If you go a multiclass like Cleric/mage and then EE keeper to Cleric/necro would you get access to the Necro sub-classes. . .? When I get the chance I'm going to find out! XD
    edited February 2015
    I did it! I created an elf (Drow) Cleric/White Necromancer. My life is complete.

Off subject, did they ever release the stat adjustments for Drow in 2e? I've fully embraced modding and using eekeeper to create my perfect RP character and so if they ever released Drow stats I'd love to use them.
    Surface Drow (as per Complete Book of Elves 2e) have the following characteristics:
    - Standard Elf Traits (90% immunity to charm and sleep, +1 THAC0 with Longswords, Shortswords and Bows)
    - +2 Dex, +1 Int, -1 Con, -2 Cha
    - Infravision

Technically, Surface Drow would also still have light sensitivity as well (-2 to hit with weapons and enemies get a +2 to saves vs. your spells) and would have the ability to regain the Drow MR and innate spells if they returned to the Underdark, but I figured the Drow's Underdark powers would dissipate at the same rate as their adaption to the light.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks guys! Never knew that had drow stats, nevermind surface drow! Welp, I'll probably be using those since this character would be on the surface all of their life. I guess I'll just EE keeper in the stats to my character.

I think this might end up being my most favorite character yet!

It's been a few months since I did a full playthrough and my need of epic fantasy tactical combat and storytelling is rising again.

I have to say, mods do make this game 3 times as better XD

Going to RP a "True Necromancer" that masters both the divine and arcane.

Btw, I've never tried this but is it possible to import a character from BG 1 to 2 and keep the subclass intact? This is assuming both games have the mod installed of course. If not I can just make a new char in BG2:EE and EE Keeper in the tomes, extra exp, and stuff.
    so i've got a magus on BG2:EE and found that i'm unable to equip helmets as can be seen here. http://grab.by/Fb0a even though it's stated in the kit description that they can wear helmets.

any ideas?
    @Drow_Arrow Already confirmed as a bug, will be fixed with the next update.