Skip to content

#7635 & #7407 - Foebane +5 missing damage bonuses

jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
edited April 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
I just reviewed Foebane +5 (both vanilla and BG2EE versions) on NI and it seems that the effect against extraplanar creatures is missing. Is this supposed to be the case? I didn't notice that Foebane +5 did any extra damage against extraplanar creatures when I tested it.
Post edited by Troodon80 on

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    This was noted on the wiki page as well. It was marked as a feature request, ticket #7407.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    Troodon80 said:

This was noted on the wiki page as well. It was marked as a feature request, ticket #7407.

Thanks for confirming @Troodon80‌. I'll try patching my own game for now.

• HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @Troodon80
    There is still an outstanding bug here, though. For whatever reason Foebane +5 was changed, that change went horribly wrong, because the weapon is currently missing ALL of its special damage bonuses, not just the one versus demons. Meaning it is missing its extra damage versus undead, rakshasas, lycanthropes, and dopplegangers (see Foebane +3 (sw1h62.itm) for comparison).

Also, do you have a link to the feature request? I can't find it anywhere.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2014
    Hurricane said:

@Troodon80
    There is still an outstanding bug here, though. For whatever reason Foebane +5 was changed, that change went horribly wrong, because the weapon is currently missing ALL of its special damage bonuses, not just the one versus demons. Meaning it is missing its extra damage versus undead, rakshasas, lycanthropes, and dopplegangers (see Foebane +3 (sw1h62.itm) for comparison).

Also, do you have a link to the feature request? I can't find it anywhere.

If you have an editor like Near Infinity and a copy of the vanilla game, you can try to export the vanilla Foebane, duplicate the bonuses into BG2EE Foebane, and save the edited version into the override folder. I'm going this route as I don't wish to wait for the patch.

EDIT: Seems that the effect files describing the special damage bonuses are different between vanilla and EE versions. Extracted out the vanilla effect files, added the missing effects to EE Foebane +3/+5, and saved all files to the override folder. So far, it seems to work in testing. This will do for me until the patch comes out. Thanks all.
    Post edited by jacobtan on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I have made an additional ticket with the issue where the damage bonuses were not being used at all.

#7635.

@Hurricane, sorry, no link. It's on the tracker. :-)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I threw this together. I was the person who posted the ticket internally about making it either so that the description for Foebane accurately reflected what it did or it was changed to work against extraplanar enemies. Anyways you may find this to be of some use.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31391/foebane-3-and-5-improvement-mod?new=1
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @elminster: Thanks for the info. I understand the idea behind your mod.

It is clear to me now that the best thing to do about both Foebanes is to correct their descriptions, instead of changing ANY of their original on-hit-effects. That's what should have happened when elminster first posted the ticket. The original discrepancy is that these weapons affect less enemies than advertised, so instead of stripping anything away, just correct the unfortunate phrase that says "... and all extraplanar beings" to simply say "... and demons". Alternatively, more effects could be added to cover other races as well, but the point is always to specify them in the description.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2014
    @Hurricane‌ I think that they will make it accurate to the description, these weapons are already bad and not worth upgrading for me (nor using), plus I think that they should be getting the bonus since in the game there are half of them already working.
    Also, I wanted to ask if this is going to be fixed by the G3 BG2 Fixpack (in the original game they miss a few races also) or if it isn't going to.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    The thing that bothers me most about Foebane is the bug with Larloch's Drain that really screws it over. Unfortunately that is not something that can be fixed with a mod.
    @Tresset‌
    Tresset said:

The thing that bothers me most about Foebane is the bug with Larloch's Drain that really screws it over.

Are you saying about Larloch's Minor Drain on hit not bypassing Magic Resistance or another thing I do not know?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Apparently (according to Tresset's post internally) when one of the drains finishes up they all go at the one time. Even if they were cast in different rounds.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited April 2014
    @CrevsDaak It is something else actually and somewhat complicated to explain. When multiple instances of Larloch's Drain stack with each other at the same time they basically all wear off as soon as the duration of the first one runs out.

Suppose you have a character with 80/80 as their base HP. This character casts Larloch's Minor Drain twice, each casting one round apart. This brings their HP up to 88/88. One turn later the first instance of LMD wears off while the second instance is still in effect. The characters HP should now be 84/84, but because of the bug their HP becomes 80/84 instead.

This bug causes a serious nerf to Foebane+5 because the stacking of many instances of LMD means that as soon as one instance wears off the characters HP is reset to their normal base HP.

I hope I explained that sufficiently. If not just get a Foebane +5 and start attacking a horde of enemies. You will see that there is a bug as soon as the LMDs start to wear off.

By the way, I reported this bug already a while ago and it is being worked on.
    @Tresset‌ yes, now I have tried and that happened. Look what I miss to find because of using Foebane+5 in my off-hand! I think that it is because of how this is coded, if I put it as different codes that give HP to the wielder *and* deal the magical damage it will work much better, but actually it casts Larloch's Minor Drain, the level one spells without modifications, over the target.