Skip to content

Killing Drizzt in BG1

DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
If I remember correctly, it was possible... I don't know if it were through glitch or skill, but I do remember reading years ago that it was possible... I had never done it. I know you could kill all of them in BG2 however.

Comments

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Potion of Speed, Boots of the Cheetah, Bow/Arrow with Arrows of piercing. They seem to hit him the best.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    Or you know, want of monster summoning and a bunch of remove fear spells for the summoned monsters, while your party shot arrows at him.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    Took me a day, and my cousin 3. Mostly wands of monster summoning, fireballs, ranged weaponry. It was so many years ago that I can't really remember what I did exactly; I do remember having a mini-army of summoned monsters though.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    So what did he drop if you did kill him in BG1?
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    I couldn't quite find the link I was looking for, but this sort of summed up my first battle against Drizzt.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I know I've done it. Once or twice. No idea how :) It has been too long.
  • DreamDream Member Posts: 52
    Pretty much what other people have said. Wand of Monster summoning combined with everyone decked in ranged weapons and the best arrows you can find. When there were just a few monsters left I switched to arrows of detonation to finish the job.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    edited August 2012
    Sa

Same stuff as in bg2
    Post edited by Jolanthus on
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    There is a way of doing it using an animate dead spell because there is a bug which means he won't fight back against skeletons if he can't see any of the party members. So basically you make yourself invisible, get the skeletons to attack him and then go away and have a cup of tea while they get on with it. I think the same tactic works against Shandalar, the mage in Ulgoth's Beard.

I also think it is possible to kill Drizzt yourself by getting your party onto the island in the lake armed with missile weapons and luring him to the southern edge of the lake. Problems with the pathfinding mean that he just stands there and lets you shoot him up. But stock up on arrows first because you are going to need a lot of them.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Fighter/Mage/Cleric with
    Spells -
    Mirror Images, Blur, Protection from evil, spirit armor(or see below for a AC related potion), improved invisibility, draw upon holy might, chant

Items -
    Knaves' robe, golden girdle, Staff mace +2, Helm and cloak of Balduran, ring of protection +2, that nasty shield you get in Durlag's crib

Potions -
    Oil of speed, potion of power, regeneration, storm giant strength, defense, heroism

That's what you need to do. No cap removers, no archers, no monsters. You alone against him in a duel to death. He usually dies in around 30 seconds without even touching the real you this way :p

Note - this proves effective against ANYTHING in the game.
  • ZoozieZoozie Member Posts: 3
    I killed him with a low level party this way.
    Disband 4 party members right next to Drizz and box him in, so he can not move.
    Then you just kill him with ranged. A sling seems the best way, you only hit him when you roll 20.
    If I remember correct you were punished somehow in BG2 if you killed him, but the loot was worth it.
    If you kill him he hunts you down in BG2 saying do you know how long it took him to get his stuff back.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2012

Same as in BG2; Mithrill Chain Mail +4 (awesome if you're a bard especially!), Scimitar +5*: Defender, and Scimitar +3: Frostbrand.

*It's actually +3. LIES. But even though it lies, it's an EPIC weapon. +3 sword that gives you a -2 to AC? YES PLEASE.
  • NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
    Nothing change in BG2, you can either attack him and his group (nice battle) or avoid the combat and maybe be helped with Bodhi
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I like his armour best. I used to use Gatekeeper to give it to my female paladin because she looked so good in it.
    Its funny, even if you just give yourself his stuff via gate\shadowkeeper, he still says he had to travel up and down the sword coast looking for his stuff.
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    I never remember Drizzt being that hard to beat? Did I miss something here? I mean, usually I'm level 10 before hitting up those dirty kobold infested mines.

Cultivating Ankhegs, its the thing to do gentlemen.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Most who did it just shot at him from where he couldn't get to them because of the awful pathfinding AI. If you actually want to fight him fair he becomes a much more difficult challenge, but it can still be done with boots of speed and then just leading him around while everyone shoots at him with their missile weapons. Drizzt needs boots of speed of his own...
  • RerelRerel Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2012
    Hehe @Permidion_Stark, i use the same method as you to kill Drizzt ;)

It takes at least 10minutes for the skeletons to finish him with 1dmg attacks only but it's totally worth it.
    The only weakness of the plan is when Imoen fails to get in her stealth mode.

As soon as it's done i take that bloody mithril armor and rush directly to the temple to forgive my sins and get back those points of reputation.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Of course, the pathfinding trick isn't likely to work in BG:EE - the ToB engine had much better pathfinding and Drizzt will eventually find you. :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'm planning on having my group of evil multiplayer bastards beat him fair and square. Start off with a backstab and then wail on him with hasted melee guys high on potions.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    I remember using a relatively standard party (dwarven fighter, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and probably Dynaheir) to just melee him to death. Didn't seem "impossible" to me, even if he did manage to kill 3 of my guys.
    In the end I remember checking out his loot, and deciding that wasn't worth it, so I reloaded. Never challenged him again afterwards except once in BG2, where I again came to the conclusion that his items just weren't worth it.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I remember using a relatively standard party (dwarven fighter, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and probably Dynaheir) to just melee him to death. Didn't seem "impossible" to me, even if he did manage to kill 3 of my guys.
    In the end I remember checking out his loot, and deciding that wasn't worth it, so I reloaded. Never challenged him again afterwards except once in BG2, where I again came to the conclusion that his items just weren't worth it.

From a roleplay perspective, my evil characters take him out for the sake of him not showing up to foil any future plans. ;P
  • RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2012
    I've killed him once. I surrounded him with party members and realeased them from the party. Being the good guy that he is, he naturally didn't push them aside to get me when I attacked him with my bow. Several hundred arrows later he fell. Kinda cheesy?

Edit: already mentioned I see. My bad.

I'm planning on having my group of evil multiplayer bastards beat him fair and square. Start off with a backstab and then wail on him with hasted melee guys high on potions.

Because 6 on 1 is a fair fight :p

• GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26

T

I also think it is possible to kill Drizzt yourself by getting your party onto the island in the lake armed with missile weapons and luring him to the southern edge of the lake. Problems with the pathfinding mean that he just stands there and lets you shoot him up. But stock up on arrows first because you are going to need a lot of them.

this is the way ,altho you might need to sacrifice 1 char to drag drizzt to the shore
  • e3r4t5yne3r4t5yn Member Posts: 42
    There's a way to kill Drizzt without any damage suffering. Here it is:

1. Bring some of your scouts (hidden character) close enough to reveal/highlight the Drizzt's position.
    2. Use wand of monster summoning to call a monster stack.
    3. Surround Drizzt with monsters closely to prevent him from moving.
    4. Attack him with all your party, use missile weapons.
    5. Profit ;)

Drizzt will tend to attack one of your characters and avoid killing monsters that block his movement.
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69

Or you know, want of monster summoning and a bunch of remove fear spells for the summoned monsters, while your party shot arrows at him.

Back when you could summon like... 10 gnolls on a good staff of animal summoning 3. Having all my guys equip bows. He died surprisingly fast at around level 6.

• DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    edited August 2012
    A lvl 2/3 Fighter/Thief can do it. Boots and potion of haste, and that str 25 potion from the circus. Then play hide-seek-backstab.
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    a but let you use raise sceletons and souround him whit them, then attack him whit arrows and and you easy could kill him. Took away alittle of the fun that it was taking advantage of an bug, but it worked