Skip to content

Blank screen. Game runs but I cant see anything. HELP!!!!!

derv395derv395 Member Posts: 15
OK, the game runs through the menus, but when i actually enter the game, i can see the dialogue and the sidebars and such,but i cant see my character or anything on the middle of the screen for that fact. I've tried updating my graphics card, its an ATI Mobility Radeon x2300. I can also hear everything in the game so its just that one thing.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Perhaps you accidentally scrolled off into the shroud? If you could take a screenshot of the issue it would probably help a lot.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Are you able to move your characters or to interact with the game? Is this just visual or it also binds you from playing? Have you tried going to the map screen and/or options screen?
    What platform are you using also?
  • derv395derv395 Member Posts: 15
    heres the screenshot i took: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044555857/screenshots/

And i can still interact, and i checked the map, im right on top of my character, the actual playing field is just blank. All i can see is the sidebars and such. im using windows 7
    sorry heres the actual screenshot
    Looks weird. I am completely uninformed about Windows so I can't help in any way other than asking a bunch of more questions:
    1) have you edited the balder.ini?
    2) What key combination are you using to minimize the game?
    @Troodon80‌ I know you do know about windows, any ideas about this?
    1)no, how do i do that?
    2) ctrl alt delete and the home key
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Is it the whole game? Your in the tutorial in your screenshot. Have you tried to load/quit the app and come back? This is very strange.
    Yes, I have quit several times. ive tried deleting it and re downloading from steam. Ive tried running as admin, and even tried running it in comparability mode.
    That is odd indeed. Are you using the open beta (version 1.3) or the standard version (version 1.2)?
    Try using ALT+RETURN instead.
    Don't worry about the balder.ini :)
    ok, but ive already tried going out, i can do that just fine, but it doesn't fix the problem
    Hmm, I am not sure what is going on here. @Troodon80 would probably have a better idea than me though. In the mean time I suppose you could try signing up for 1.3 since I know that uses a new renderer. To sign up for that see this post: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30515/sign-up-for-beta-access-windows-mac-only
    I think my graphics card isn't openGL 11 compatable. its a ATI Modility Radeon x2300
    Right, you also appear to use steam, which means that you couldn't get 1.3 unless you bought a copy through Beamdog...

I don't know much about graphics cards. Is ATI Modility Radeon x2300 a really old one or something?
    its pretty old. I cant run Dota 2 but I can run LoL
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited April 2014
    @derv395,

I actually had a reply yesterday, but the site has been acting funny (as have a number of other sites I go to) and so my reply was lost when it logged me out. In short, there's an option in the INI configuration file (if the option is not there, then you can add it using Wordpad (not Notepad)):

'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    There's no guarantee that this will work, but it's something to try out. The INI file can be found in the Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\ directory.
    how do i get to .ini on windows 7?
    @derv395, go to Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\. Open up Wordpad (not Notepad) and drag the INI file (Baldur.ini) on to the titlebar of Wordpad (or use the standard Open feature). If you right-click on the file, it may suggest opening with Wordpad.

Scan through it and look for 'OpenGL Version'. If it is not already there, add the line somewhere around the middle of the document. If it is there, set whatever the number is to '1'. Then save the file.

If the number is already '1', then there probably isn't much you can do.
    nope, nothing. well, i guess that's $20 down the drain :/
    @derv395, when was the last time the graphics drivers were updated? When you are in-game on the graphics menu, what version does the OpenGL label stated?

mine dosn't say 4.4, it says 2.1 lalala. how do i update it?
    @derv395, to 4.4? You can't with your hardware. My card is a GTX690, so it uses a more up-to-date version of OpenGL.

2.1 should be more than capable of playing it. My laptop, running integrated Intel graphics, is also 2.1.

Does it say who the driver is provided by (just in case this happens to be an Intel problem with the chipset overriding the GPU), the make of the card, and possibly the build date or version?
    OpenGL version 2.1.8304 Release
    Running on ATI Mobility Radeon X2300
    Driver provided by ATI Technologies Inc.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Stock ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 drivers do not support OpenGL.

Try and find the 10.2 legacy driver outside of what your manufacturer has installed. 10.2 is the only one most people have found to have OpenGL support on the X2 series of chipsets.

Use "ATI Legacy 10.2 driver".

You can give it a shot here:

http://www.oldapps.com/ati.php?old_ati=105
    @Sylvus_Moonbow, you get an insightful for that. I did some checking up on that and some people have apparently tried 10.2 to no avail. Worth a try, though.

@derv395, question: what make and model is your laptop? We might be able to find more up-to-date drivers for you.
    10.2 didnt work, i downloaded it and it made me restart, after the reboot i tried it and the problem didn't change. heres my dxdiag.
    @derv395‌, here is a link to the HP site where you can find the appropriate drivers for your machine (if the link is broken, you can do a quick Google search for "HP Compaq 6910p drivers"). It's the AMD video driver and control panel you want.
    OMG my game works now!!!! Are you a wizard!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    derv395 said:

OMG my game works now!!!! Are you a wizard!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?