Skip to content

What damage type are flails?

thesoloerthesoloer Member Posts: 77
I think I read somewhere that flails are blunt and piercing damage at the same time? Is crushing damage the same thing as blunt damage?

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    hm... I think if someone made a general guide to what each type of damage is and what they mean, what is immune to them, etc. it would be extremely helpful

I hate having to scrummage through the internet to find out what can damage Golem A vs Golem B. This kind of guide would make things much easier, and answer questions like this.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Piercing damage is the worst type, resisted by most enemies. Skeletons, jellies, clay golems etc. have massive piercing damage resistances. Crushing fixes them nicely, though. Only Shambling mound is resistant to crushing attacks IIRC. Clay golems need blunt weapons. Blunt, enchanted weapons.
  • thesoloerthesoloer Member Posts: 77
    Clay golems get hurt by all crushing weapons? Including flails?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    thesoloer said:

Clay golems get hurt by all crushing weapons? Including flails?

Yes
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    In the only game that Spiked weapons also dealt piercing damage was in PS:T, or at least is what they were supposed to do.
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Some of the clerics I create can't use flails and some can. Why?
    edited May 2014
    abazigal5 said:

What is their strength? Flails require your character to have 13 strength.
    abazigal5 said:

... Because their STR is too low? Flails have a high requirement of STR.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Tresset said:

The only weapons that have multiple damage types at the same time (currently) are Halberds; which do slashing and piercing damage. This is a new feature that was introduced somewhere along the line in EE. If you ask me though, mourning stars (and maybe even flails) would do well with crushing and piercing damage at the same time. It would be very easy to mod flails and mourning stars to be like this; by the way.

If you want to go there, in real life a longsword would be used to poke and slash, and spears are also capable slashing weapons, contrary to popular belief. And I don't think "missile damage" is a thing, but whatever.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    I think missile damage could describe sling bullets. They are definitely not piercing or slashing, and not quite crushing.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @FinaLfront‌ actually, a sling would definitely be crushing. Slings are not toys shooting marbles like you might think. Ammo for a (legit) sling would be a large rock or lead bullet weighing up to a pound, and was thrown, (if memory serves) around 100 miles/hour. Now, if a good sized rock is hitting your face at 100 miles an hour, maybe more, what kind of damage todo you think that is? Besides ouchy.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Never said they were toys. Bullets are indeed a blunt type, a category that has since been removed from the EE. Crushing is such specific effect, where something small flying toward you is more of a smash. Generally "crush" means something being squeezed in between 2 things, and I don't think it's a good representation of any kind of weapon honestly. So IMO missile damage would best represent a bullet whereas blunt is absent.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited May 2014
    Does that mean that Flails get Strength bonuses like Warhammers or Quarterstaves?

@booinyoureyes >Very much agree that it would be helpful to have one place to go to that really had complete detailed specs. But that would be too easy....!! LOL
    elminster said:

(though it may be bugged with certain slings at the moment).

It's bugged only with throwing daggers and only in the release version of BG2:EE. Can't speak for some of BG2:EE's slings as I only used two (plain and Erevard's) in my run.
    CrevsDaak said:

elminster said:

It's bugged only with throwing daggers and only in the release version of BG2:EE. Can't speak for some of BG2:EE's slings as I only used two (plain and Erevard's) in my run.
    Wild sling and lupine sling apparently aren't getting it.
    elminster said:

CrevsDaak said:

elminster said:

Wild sling and lupine sling apparently aren't getting it.
    EE-added stuff (and from what I see in their filenames), from Neera's quest, which I badly broke :P during SoA (not a bug- unaware player).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @elminster‌ @CrevsDaak The slings and things are that are bugged are the ones that added a strength bonus to damage in the original BG2. The bug is that they add both a strength and dexterity bonus to thac0. There are two affected slings which are Everard and Seeking. I believe the rest are ok.
    Tresset said:

@elminster‌ @CrevsDaak The slings and things are that are bugged are the ones that added a strength bonus to damage in the original BG2. The bug is that they add both a strength and dexterity bonus to thac0. There are two affected slings which are Everard and Seeking. I believe the rest are ok.

I just got what I wrote from #7152 (which is fixed now but wouldn't have been for the latest released patch).
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    CrevsDaak said:

abazigal5 said:

... Because their STR is too low? Flails have a high requirement of STR.
    Okay. That makes sense. Thanks, @CrevsDaak and @elminster.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    meagloth said:

@FinaLfront‌ actually, a sling would definitely be crushing. Slings are not toys shooting marbles like you might think. Ammo for a (legit) sling would be a large rock or lead bullet weighing up to a pound, and was thrown, (if memory serves) around 100 miles/hour. Now, if a good sized rock is hitting your face at 100 miles an hour, maybe more, what kind of damage todo you think that is? Besides ouchy.

You know how volumous a 1lb rock tends to be? My point though, many people thst used slings carried at least 2 completely different ammo, the larger, which could cause serious injury but rarely cause death, and much smaller ammunition for greater speed and thus penetration. These would be more lethal, and could punch through a skull.

Spears can slash (risk of damage to socket/pole if you strike something solid), and slashing swords can be used to stab (if you dont mind risking warping your blade), but this isnt what they were optimized for. You can also club a guy with a rifle, it works, and it can be a very good tactic (very popular in WW1, if you didnt carry your shovel!)... but we both know a rifle is better at shooting.

It should be intuitive, but the differences crushing, slashing and piercing can be grasped by thinking mainly about the type of injury a weapon causes. Missile btw I would assume should just be mostly piercing.

Flails assuredly do not have to have spikes, but morningstars always have spikes. Morningstar wihout spikes is a mace or cudgel.