Skip to content

GOG.com now has Mac-compatible versions of IWD, IWD2, BG, BG2 and PS:T

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
Good old games have brought a part of their catalog of all-time classics to Mac, starting with an impressive 50 titles for Mac gamers to play and enjoy. 28 of the 50 titles, also including Syndicate, Ultima series, Wing Commander, will be playable on the Mac OS X for the first time ever.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/GOG-Announces-New-Mac-Games-New-Language-Packs-for-D-D-Titles-438521.shtml

http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_goes_mac

I personally think it's great!

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Elminster
    @CrevsDaak‌
    Thought this might pique your interest.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Cool, especially since I already own them from the last AD&D package sale offer. Just checked, yup, no extra charge to download for mac. Still on an Age of Wonders 3 trip though before I tackle IWD :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The D&D games are a new addition but the second link is from 2012.

I guess we will have to see these versions hold up. The cd versions of bg2 for mac had some issues in my experience and I don't know what approach they've taken to getting the games to work on mac. But hey if it means I can play IWD2 without getting a massive slowdown when playing in full screen then that is good :)
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    I run BG with Crossover. So far so good. Some work required, but at least I can run it as a native Mac app.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Well, I downloaded IWD 1 & 2 yesterday. Too late.
    I prefer playing the Windows IE games with an emulator, it is easier I think.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I never understood why people buy Macs. They seem to be incompatible with about...everything. Except for Photoshop and such. Personal preference, I guess.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited April 2014

I never understood why people buy Macs. They seem to be incompatible with about...everything. Except for Photoshop and such. Personal preference, I guess.

Sorry I shouldn't respond, but @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud‌
    MACS ARE BETTER. APPLE IS BETTER YOU AND YOUR UGLY, OBNOXIOUS CONFUSING WINDOWS MACHINE CAN GO DIE IN A HOLE

sorry. I'm partial to apple. Don't take this seriously.

No, really, don't take it seriously.
    I much prefer OS X to Windows, use programs such as Logic Pro, Final Cut, and the like.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I like my Windows machine a lot, don't get me wrong. But I also enjoy the comfort of knowing that I can buy an Apple machine and not have to worry about assembling and modifying it to get the most out of it.

Apple's also a lot easier to plan for from a development perspective, because there's a very limited range of what hardware is used. Why more developers don't target Apple, I really don't know.

As for GOG...that's news to me. Looks like they're offering some of the original languages, too.
    On a more seriouse note, I really do prefer macs. The desktop is all in one, and sense I have an iPad and an iPhone, it all works together like apple intended. I think it looks better, amd is just better thought out. If you don't know what your looking at in say, word or PowerPoint, all the buttons are very confusing. Also Mac has very nice programs in iWork and iLife. iPhoto, pages and keynote are wonderful. Also, safari, of which I am also a fan, is supposed to be one of the safest browser at out there.
    edited April 2014
    If only they didn't cost so much :(. My laptop set me back $3,200. Still, I keep mine for at least 5 years before replacing them, so it's worth it, to me.
    jackjack said:

If only they didn't cost so much :(. My laptop set me back $3,200. Still, I keep mine for at least 5 years before replacing them, so it's worth it, to me.

Our Mac is a 2008 and desperately needs replacing, but even the smallest desktops are $1200, I think.
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    this is awesome. I am losing so much money now. i've been aching to play icewind dale and planescape torment without the drudgery of booting up a partition.
    meagloth said:

Sorry I shouldn't respond, but @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud‌
    MACS ARE BETTER. APPLE IS BETTER YOU AND YOUR UGLY, OBNOXIOUS CONFUSING WINDOWS MACHINE CAN GO DIE IN A HOLE

sorry. I'm partial to apple. Don't take this seriously.

No, really, don't take it seriously.
    Right. You could've said that in a more mature and polite way, you know. You and your mac could just as well 'go die in a hole'.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I sincerely ask everyone here to be polite and respect each other. Don't forget the site rules, please. The question about Windows vs Mac is not the subject of this thread.

And now,

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud‌ I did specify not to take it seriously. Twice.
    meagloth said:

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud‌ I did specify not to take it seriously. Twice.

True. Still. I'm not saying Windows is perfect either, hell, I absolutely detest Window 8. I have to say that Macs run Photoshop exceptionally well, I'll give you that.
    Kind of sucks that nwn and nwn2 aren't available yet for it.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited April 2014
    elminster said:

Unless "it" refers to GOG, you're quite wrong.
    edited April 2014
    iKrivetko said:

elminster said:

Yea I'm well aware there are DVD versions of these games for mac and that you can use a Wine wrapper (among other things) to play the game on macs (and apparently all they did with baldur's gate and these other games was to run them with a wine wrapper).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2014
    elminster said:

NWN2 used to be available on the Mac App Store, but it was taken down a few years ago. I grabbed it for 99 cents shortly before that happened. Unfortunately, the expansions were not available, so no BG: Reloaded without using the Windows version.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    elminster said:

iKrivetko said:

elminster said:

Yea I'm well aware there are DVD versions of these games for mac and that you can use a Wine wrapper (among other things) to play the game on macs (and apparently all they did with baldur's gate and these other games was to run them with a wine wrapper).
    Including the wineskin could be a big thing for someone who is less technically inclined. And even for those who are comfortable setting up a wineskin wrapper, I would hope that GOG has optimized the wine engine used for game performance. I remember fiddling with the graphics settings and Wine engine to get IWD2 to run without cursor flickering - really messed it up a few times too!
    edited April 2014

elminster said:

NWN2 used to be available on the Mac App Store, but it was taken down a few years ago. I grabbed it for 99 cents shortly before that happened. Unfortunately, the expansions were not available, so no BG: Reloaded without using the Windows version.
    Yea I'm playing through the NWN2 OC right now on PC. I'm not sure if the expansions ever fixed any problems also found in the base game (outside of the updates you can get for the original game) but man they left it in a buggy state. There is this one area where I guess I clicked on the wrong kid (these kids had run away from highcliff) and by doing so it sent my character halfway across the map and started a conversation with Slaan even though I'd never even encountered him. Funky stuff :D