Skip to content

CLOSED

Comments

• CygnusCygnus Member Posts: 44
    I wasn't considering the real life stats, but it might be interesting to work that into the mix somehow. Somehow following the "spirit" of the test results, maybe putting an 18 into your highest real life stat, if you even want to have an 18. Or maybe by choosing a class based on real life stats, then massaging the numbers into a total of 80 (with nothing below 10).

But seriously, you guys do what you want, it's just a game. You will have no trouble finding people to play in a high powered group.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Cygnus, I like a challenge, so I'm up for that.

So what do the others say? An 80 roll for each character, no stats below 10, one's highest RL stat set to 18, and to keep the RL Stats principle alive the other stats could be balanced proportionate to one's RL stats. By that I mean that if in RL one has 13 CON and 17 INT, the toned down game character could have 12 CON and 15 INT for example.
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    So I guess that we all need to come to some kind of agreement. Making characters based on ourselves might be problematic when it comes to arcane magic (until we agree how to interpret it real world-wise and there are several options :D) but apart from that I see absolutely no problem. For me it doesn't matter much what required total will be, I've played this game so many times that I'll gladly take any challenge :)
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    edited April 2014
    @winters‌ @Cygnus‌ @Blackraven‌

I could go with the 80s thing. Possibly to incorporate the real life thing would be to set that as the max you are allowed. So in my case with my scores of applying real life max with 80 point total would look like...
    STR 18 -->18
    DEX 17 --> 16
    CON 16 --> 16
    INT 16 --> 10
    WIS 15 --> 10
    CHA 16 --> 10

EDIT: definitely feels like a min max situation.
    edited April 2014
    im up for either style. as long as we have a group.

Possibly keep real life stats, basically playing yourself with a no/minimal re-load, no NPC use (for sole purpose of quests), and Core rules taking whatever HP you get from level ups.

with a group size of 3 or 4 and taking whatever HP you get from level ups with no NPC use may balance out the higher real life stats
    edited April 2014
    Looks a bit min/maxed, but I'm no stick-in-the-mud like old Gorion. I just wanna play.
    I might even follow your example. I'd love to get the party going this Sunday.
    edited April 2014
    yeah i get the same feeling from that as well.

@blackraven @Cygnus‌ @winters‌ @SionIV‌

Sunday works for me! ok heres a summary to see who is still in.

RP: Neutral/Evil Mercenary group adventuring the sword coast in pursuit of personal gain, power and wealth. NOT cruel/sadistic. Simply a sword for hire with an adventuring mind set.

Stats: Real life stats and class that most accurately fits you (like playing yourself)

Rules: Core at ALL times (You get whatever HP the game gives you at level ups)
    - NPCs: only use in party for quests. NOT allowed for fights unless quest specific.
    - Reloading: Minimal if at all to promote a more cautious/tactical approach to exploration and battles.
    - MAX group size of 5, min 3.

and most importantly fun, not metagaming and casual game play with some extended sessions for particularly fun parts of the game.

Missing anything?
    Sounds fine to me... but Gods please grant me good HP rolls ;)
    ok so far we have our warrior(myself) and our cleric/thief. just need our magic caster! and yeah sunday we will get this game rolling
    If Sunday, then I'm out :( it's the only day I'm offline, both Friday and Saturday I'm stuck to my PC... well, another time perhaps :)
    @winters, I like your habit of being offline one day a week. Wait for the others to reply, if they prefer e.g. Saturdays, I might be the one who can't participate. (Only after 5pm which would be midnight in Europe where you are).
    edited April 2014
    Nah, I'm totally offline this exact day because I'm travelling, so I'm afraid it's unavoidable :/ This weekend in my country is always extra long bc of clustered May Day and Constitution Day, so tomorrow and day after tomorrow timezones don't matter to me :)
    Saturdays and Sundays work for me along with most late nights. I could probably find some time this friday if we want to just get the ball rolling and then going forward designate sunday as the norm, adding days in between that fit our schedules.
    edited April 2014
    The great thing about BGEE is that there is plenty to do besides the main quest line in terms of exploration and loot grabbing, without anyone getting far behind in terms of XP. For the first sit down I would like to atleast get to Nashkel or do a more extensive Beregost outing. @Blackraven‌

And from a RP perspective, @winters‌ could be 1) heading straight to Nashkel while we explore and take our time meeting him down there or 2) while he attends to "business" in Beregost, we are swords for hire, looking to take advantage of adventures in the wilderness. (assuming we can all get together before sunday).

Unlike BG2EE, not as much free exploration and nooone wants to miss out on the huge awesome quests in that game.
    so basically if @winters‌ you are good for sundays normally, lets squeeze in sometime between now and when you cant, make some early progress and use RP to our advantage :)
    I'm good for weekends usually and used to sleep at weird hours, during the week I'm available 8-9 pm - until I die of exhaustion, which is around 1-2 am (CEST), not all the time, obviously, but it can be arranged.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I'm interested, if it's not to late, but I probably won't have the schedule:/ can't hurt to try, though.
    I would be:
    Chaotic good half-elf Sorcerer

10 str
    12dex
    14con
    17int
    14wis
    15cha

*dagger and *dart later, and I would start with friends and charm person, as per this thread, as a role play feature, and then I could start picking combat spells like sleep and magic missile.
    any thoughts on getting the ball rolling tonight/tomorrow night?

Im going unkitted fighter. fits the RP better. Berz or Blackguard doesnt feeling quite right.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Oh, I just saw the second page *embarrassed face* you guys are farther along than I had known :P
    Hm. Tonight/tomorrow sounds good to me, it seems that we have monsoons in Eastern Europe now so I'm not going anywhere until I really have to :D

So, what's the current politics when it comes to stats?
    meagloth said:

Oh, I just saw the second page *embarrassed face* you guys are farther along than I had known :P

we havent even started lol. just trying to figure things out and get the ball rolling. you are more than welcome to join!

edited April 2014
    @winters‌ , keep them as real life as possible, you be the judge. I feel implementing some other rules will help balance them out.

For example. I'm using an unkitted Fighter (early game is awesome, but i have to be more cautious since i cant just use Berzk and run into any battle). Also, im using greatswords and bows because thats my personal favorite when i know dual wielding longswords is better in terms of versatility and DPS.

No powergaming (like farming xp early and taking advantage of flawed mechanics (drizzt for example). Along with
    Rules: Core at ALL times (You get whatever HP the game gives you at level ups so we should have lower HP in theory)
    - NPCs: only use in party for quests. NOT allowed for fights unless quest specific.
    - Reloading: Minimal if at all to promote a more cautious/tactical approach to exploration and battles.
    - MAX group size of 5, prefer 3-4.
    - and sticking to general plot line and RP. We are mercenaries im not saving that stupid chicken. no reward for me, even though its easy xp.
    - no adding NPCs just for items (early health potions)
    also, trying to stick to using available knowledge that is given to us in the game. We all know where the good items are and some good fights like bassilus. try to avoid going there until we come across that knowledge through gameplay type of stuff
    @Blackraven‌ @winters‌ and then for my strength modifier...I know I could wipe the floor with Kivan so its higher than 18/12. Shar-teel with 18/58 is like one of those extreme crossfit women, Id like to think im above that, or atleast at it which is the 51-75 range. Definitely not stronger than Savervok 18/00, and not stronger than Minsc 18/93.

so that leaves me in the 18/76-90 range which is a carry weight of 280, which i can bench. deadlifts and squats are mid 400s (gym addict which is another story). And to my knowledge ANYthing between 76-90 is the same in terms of game mechanics, correct me if im wrong.

edited May 2014
    I still can't get over Rangers not being able to dual to anything but Cleric.

In this case I'll make a pseudo-Stalker Thief. Or maybe even Bounty Hunter and then dual to Mage. This character will not pickpocket at all, focusing on finding/setting traps. I'm still thinking about opening locks - breaking into random people's houses and dealing with some pretty unusual stuff found in various creepy places seems very different to me, I'm personally able to do both, but I find technical mysteries way more worth my time :) Proficiencies: Crossbow, Scimitar, later Dagger. Stats: Str 11 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 13.

Definitely Imoen's TN/CG twin.
    if there was an evil ranger id be all over it.
    @winters‌ i definitely like that idea. Mages arent that important to have until later in the game anyway. So Id be comfortable running with a fighter, cleric/thief, and thief
    Yeah, and that's what I in fact am, twenty percent hunter, thirty percent engineer and fifty percent dilettante scientist renaissance person, so it feels right. I guess Traps skills will be more useful too so Bounty Hunter it is.
    oh and if we start rolling with us 3, anyone else could be free to join in at any point. This makes sense from the RP standpoint in that we are always looking for another sword for hire. Mercenaries come and go as new opportunities arise. The only rule id implement with that is no importing powerful magic items (like cloak of balduran, boots of speed, etc.) , and you can adjust XP to match groups.