Skip to content

So glad that POS 4th ED is being dropped by WoTC and didnt get a game based on it..

pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
Heck even WoTC employees said it was designed for a younger generation that lacks imagination..doesn't get PnP etc etc..
More based for the Call of Modern Warfare world of Warcraft duty part 13 crowd..hey maybe they can make BG3 a Facebook game and you can level up by unlocking achievements..:-)

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Pkloop unfortunately ummm I think the new Neverwinter game is based on 4e
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Oh, excuse me..I guess Daggerdale is based on a variation of 4th ed rules...el oh el
    edited August 2012

The one by Cryptic?...huh..I stand corrected. I'll be sure to PASS THAT ONE by. Thanks for the tip Dragonspear!

Mearls admits 4th edition might have gone too far in creating a perfectly balanced game. "We've lost faith of what makes an RPG an RPG," he said, admitting that in trying to please gamers with a limited imagination, 4th edition might have punished those with an active one..
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    4e is just to limiting in to many ways, multiclass may as well not exist, ditto for skills, don't like saves being a defense, stats are even less meaningful then 3.5 and easier to raise, very little difference between some classes, spells/powers were either useless or broken or auto picks with VERY little middle ground...

Also hate loathed and despised the everyone has LOADS of HP bit, yes in 2e and 3.5 Mages were squishy but damn everyone starting with 15+ HP min unless they had like a 5 con was just stupid, part of being a Fighter class was having more HP to tank better early on, but in 4e everyone had tons of HP, and difference between 15-18 con was like 2-3 HP...

One of the few things I did like was the Paragon/Epic Destinies those were cool...
  • ddubiousddubious Member Posts: 29
    I have to disagree on 4th ed video game (video game only, btw). They absolutely went too far in creating a balanced game, but I think that's what would make it perfect for a video game. When all their numbers and powers take next to no effort for the button presser, you get your fantasy video game BUT you see your thief or fighter doing fantastic things with cool powers, choosing something other than 'more damage!' or 'more hp!' when leveling.

As for pnp tabletop, I ran 4e for 3 years (just finished). Its slow in battle, makes you ad way more numbers than you'd care too, and required frequent and boring reading of abilities in the middle of a game session. It did have its charm, but not past level 15, and never in a game that isn't mainly about battles. Battle are tooo looong.

That said, I think 4e would make great video games, and I am constantly saddened by the fact it hasn't.

DISCLAIMER: Daggerdale was an awfully over-hyped and under-developed game. It had repetitive game-play with simplistic powers, and did not accurately represent 4e DnD, or DnD in general. It was simply a cheap game by a small company aimed at the XBox Live 10 dollar game market. I was very glad when they abandoned doing DLC for the game, and I am constantly surprised / upset when I see it advertised on the wizards site alongside any compliment, which last occurred when it was released on the PSN.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Clearly meant to be a troll thread.

1/10 Would not bang.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I don't think that word means what you think it does.
    Quartz said:

How does it not? He's using inflammatory language about a very hotbutton topic on a D&D board. His intent is obviously to bait people into an aggravated response. At the very least, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with Baldur's Gate.
    pkloop said:

Oh, excuse me..I guess Daggerdale is based on a variation of 4th ed rules...el oh el

A "variation" isn't the word I'd use. Daggerdale doesn't play like any D&D ruleset. It's more of a Dark Alliance style game.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Quartz said:

How does it not? He's using inflammatory language about a very hotbutton topic on a D&D board. His intent is obviously to bait people into an aggravated response. At the very least, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with Baldur's Gate.
    Well, if you say so. To me, it looked more like he was just bluntly stating his opinion that just so happens to be controversial, not purposefully stepping on peoples' toes. But I could be wrong.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Doesn't seem particularly trollish to me, but then again I've never played D&D.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I'd be interested in a 4th Edition D&D game. I don't particularly like the system as it's presented on paper, but I'm interested in seeing how it works in a game. After all, hating something without experiencing it first is just rather dumb, wouldn't you say?
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Drugar said:

I'd be interested in a 4th Edition D&D game. I don't particularly like the system as it's presented on paper, but I'm interested in seeing how it works in a game. After all, hating something without experiencing it first is just rather dumb, wouldn't you say?

Make sure to have a open minded group, and make sure they don't mind min/max and/or power gaming as making even a remotely decent character tended to fall into this when I tried 4e

also if you like mages, don't play one, it might make you sad, least did me...
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    pkloop said:

Heck even WoTC employees said it was designed for a younger generation that lacks imagination..doesn't get PnP etc etc..
    More based for the Call of Modern Warfare world of Warcraft duty part 13 crowd..hey maybe they can make BG3 a Facebook game and you can level up by unlocking achievements..:-)

I was going to type a response, but I will just quote your post instead. It more or less sums it up. Thank you, and agreed!
  • Dannen6272Dannen6272 Member Posts: 28
    Hopefully they take the lessons learned on what made 4e so terrible and make amends with 5e. Personally, I haven't really seen any need to move beyond 3.5e (only recently did I move beyond 2e, though I still prefer most of its systems, stats shouldn't be so easy to increase). Fourth edition seems to try and clamp down with more and more rules, leaving less room for personal creativity IMO, it reminds me more of a Fantasy Flight board game like Descent then actual D&D. Never enjoyed 4e, and I gave it a fair shake, couple hundred dollars worth of a fair shake in terms of books and materials.

As to the Neverwinter MMO, any game made by Cryptic is going to be awful on release, as all their releases have been so if I do ever try it, it won't be for quite a while after it comes out.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    pkloop said:

hey maybe they can make BG3 a Facebook game and you can level up by unlocking achievements..:-)

Oh god. Oh... GOD! I just sicked a little in my mouth :(

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001

also if you like mages, don't play one, it might make you sad, least did me...

I played a Genasi Swordmage for a bit and it was quite enjoyable. I think the best way to look at 4e is not as a DnD game, but just as a miniatures game. I enjoyed what I played but I had a fantastic group and we house-ruled so much stuff. It obviously was designed to rope more new players in than it was designed for the hardcore fans but still, it was nice to see a warrior do something for a change... *runs away from pitchforks* hehe
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I don't understand, is 4E supposed to be awesome or abysmal?? D:

I understand it's much more simplified? Well, I think the biggest earnings come if you make a product that appeals to kids as well as adults. If you do that, you win.
    edited August 2012

TL;DR - Anyone who doesn't like 4th ed is an asshole

:p

Yeah, I wasn;t going to play it anyway because of this, but now it is an mmo I feel like I won't miss out on anything

• AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    edited August 2012
    ajwz said:

TL;DR - Anyone who doesn't like 4th ed is an asshole

:p
    I realize that I did write a lot, much of it in a bitter and sarcastic tone, but, from my post: "Does 4th Edition have problems? Yeah. Is 4th Edition the game for you? Probably not. Do I have a problem with that? No. I certainly don't expect everyone to like it, especially when it does deviate so heavily from the sacred cows of classic DnD. That sort of thing tends to be polarizing.

So go ahead and level critically thought out criticisms of 4th Edition. The system did have problems. The tighter balance choked some player choice elements too hard. The math, while significantly improved over 3.X, still had flaws in it. Etc, etc."

I have no problem with disliking 4th Edition. Just have some rationale and class about it.
    Oh shit, I just assumed you were trolling.
    Wait a minute - what if you still are? :p
    edited August 2012
    Well, to help out!

Basically everything above "Seriously man" is trollish reversal of the "WAAAAH 4th ED IS SO BAD" by being incredibly snarky about previous editions' design choices (although I'd say I still level enough potential for actual discussion re: merits and demerits of certain elements of previous editions).

Starting from "Seriously man" is more of a legit explanation of my issues with the OP, which mostly has to do with parroting hateful comments and starting shit in a place where it doesn't have a reason to be started.
    Ok, well if you want to start a new thread about the merits of 4th ed, I'll debate you about it. Don't want to spam an relatively unrelated thread though.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Every D&D edition had and has its flaws. 4E is no exception, but at least they tried something new with it. It seems to have backfired, because the old guard for the most part didn't want it, and the new audience they hoped for didn't come (for whatever reasons). I for one am glad they at least tried it, and I believe some elements were very good. I hope they manage to bolt together all the good bits of all editions and leave out all their bad elements in D&D Next, otherwise there'll probably be no D&D anymore in five or ten years from now.
    Nah. These are the BG:EE forums. The edition wars really don't have a place here. Love of Baldur's Gate has a place here.

I'm just not in a mood to tolerate the OP's brand of BS this morning.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I've been playing a 4e campaign for a couple of years. It's been a lot of fun.
    @AndrewRogue

By Moradin's hammer, you're my hero. I wish I had been able to write something half as excellent as your initial comment, but I was too busy seething with rage.

I'm glad some people in this thread have the sense to be reasonable about editions. Whether 4E like it or not, "lol we all know this is awful, right, I don't need to explain why" is not a valid form of criticism. Further, as you say, this forum isn't ABOUT D&D or its editions. It's about a game that happens to use the AD&D ruleset. This isn't the place for an edition war, and even if it were, edition wars are absolutely moronic.