Skip to content

Will this be the best movie ever?

TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
edited June 2014 in Off-Topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu1n0b_QTMs
I have no knowledge of the comics this is based on whatsoever, but I was excited by this trailer.
  1. Will this be the best movie ever?32 votes
    1. Yes.
        6.25%
    2. No.
      50.00%
    3. That was a raccoon! (also yes)
      34.38%
    4. Just show me the results.
        9.38%

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Depends on how well they do Ronan. The rest looked fine. I have limited familiarity, since this is refering to some of the marque stories in the marvel universe. Like Thor, the Multiverse stuff was big and popular among Marvel fans, but lower profile outside the geek world. Ronan is the big terrifying defender/main weapon of the Kree Empire, and iirc is pretty important to the infiniy gauntlet storyline.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    ... the first scene reminds me of the "usual suspects" with benicio del toro...gimme de keys cosu! :D

but i use my prophetic skills and say... NO it will not be the best movie ever for me! Why? i will just ignore that movie and watch a horror B-movie instead like return of the living dead 2 and enjoy the black humour paired with cool old school gore! I dont like superhumans or mutant movie with romances where the first few minutes give me enough facepalm that i just cant take it anymore ;)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    okay... BIG fan of the comics here.

truth is... I honestly don't know. The comics were fun and lighthearted, but that worked because it was the right medium. Film doesn't quite capture the... goofiness of it all.

Also it worked really well because Peter Quill (Star-Lord) was the "straight man" of the group. He made everything work. The movie seems to take an opposite approach.

Honestly, if you asked me which Marvel property would be the most difficult to adapt as a film project I would have said Guardians of the Galaxy, hands down. It is definitely ambitious of them to do this, but I kinda have my doubts and the trailer doesn't really look too promising. Hopefully Rocket Raccoon will steal the show and there will be some funny and entertaining moments.

Overall I just don't know if it will be good or not (trailers can be misleading) but I'm hoping for the best but kinda expecting the worst.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Man, I wish. It looks like it would be a good comic, and that's from someone who thinks comic books are completely stupid. It definitely won't be the best movie ever. I think boo made a good point about the medium.
    It just looks dumb, not funny. I would be very surprised if this was any good at all. The idea is a bit to silly to put $100 million dollars into a adult-aimed live action film. It's far better suited for animated tv series(albeit a very good one)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I didn't watch the trailer nor anything, but I don't think it could get at the scale of Citizen Kane or even Blade Runner and other movies.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I wouldn't say the best, maybe one of the better ones, sure. I am thinking they are going for the snark to make Guardians more like the Avengers? I dunno. Ronan the Accuser looks pretty badass, and Rhomann Dey (John C. Reilly's character), Nova Prime and Yondu look good as well. In any case, I am willing to go see it.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ...I think the poll is meant to be taken with a grain of salt. Nobody is expecting this to be the defining movie of history! But it looks entertaining!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    no
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @booinyoureyes‌

lol. just lol. And the most hilarious thing is what you've written I've wanted to write myself as soon as I've opened this thread.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited June 2014
    It has Peter Serafinowicz, which in itself is awesome. Not likely to be the best movie ever, but it may get the balance between explosions and daft humour right to be a good one.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Please please *please* don't call Rocket a raccoon. He really doesn't like that very much.

... the first scene reminds me of the "usual suspects" with benicio del toro...gimme de keys cosu! :D

Would you go so far as to say that Mr. Del Toro is collecting keys, hm?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited June 2014

I must say it is nice to see that Silverstar‌ 's acting career has really taken off. He's worked so hard... he deserves it.

You know, the thing is... I actually am a very decent actor. I'm great at remembering lines, can lie with a straight face and voice, read scripts (or anything) out loud without it sounding all forced or unnatural and I have no problem being in front of a crowd. Been in a few plays even, though nothing that could be considered professional. It's a shame I didn't realise all this a decade ago and try making a career out of it. Ah well, missed opportunities.

They should really bump up the release date on this movie. I want to see it like yesterday.
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    Like as uppopping B-Movie!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Looks fun
    Seen this trailer? I've seen part of it, but not all of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIaEzXgqto
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I just realized.

Chris Pratt plays the hero.

You know who else Chris plays?

THIS GUY!!

This movie just got a thousand times more epic. :D
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283

I must say it is nice to see that @Silverstar‌ 's acting career has really taken off. He's worked so hard... he deserves it.

ROFL. loved that comment @booinyoureyes

• laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283

I just realized.

THIS GUY!!

haha, so true :P
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Corvino‌ there's no such a thing like overthinking.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    @Corvino‌ You're not overthinking, that's the point of the song. :-) Still awesome though.

Back to GotG and I think it'll be a great movie. It's got a brilliant cast (and Dave Batista), James Gunn's impressed me with his small-budget work so I'd love to see what he does with a budget and the trailer shows me that they seem to have found a way to make the cosmic stuff tonally fit with the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. People keep going on about Firefly in relation to this, but it's looking more and more like Farscape to me. :-)

Of course, being a great movie doesn't always translate to "does well at the box office" and that's my one fear about this, whether or not this is going to be Marvel's first stumble.
    @Walstafa With all the space battles and explosions, that may not be a problem. Spectacle also sells. If they have awesome fight scenes and enough explosions, some people will see it for that.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2014
    @LadyRhian‌ You see, whilst I agree with that, I also would have thought that "Giant Robots beating the shit out of Giant Monsters" would have been easy money too, but Pacific Rim didn't do amazingly in the US Market (which is all Holywood cares about).

Still, I guess as long as they keep pointing out that it's the same studio that made massive hits out of Iron Man, the Avengers and freaking *Thor* then that might buy them some audience curiosity, if not trust.
    O_o I just realized they're one party member short. I think they need a sorcerer.

I just realized.

THIS GUY!!

I think Karen Gillian(Amy pond) also has a role. I remember seeing her in one of the trailers.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    meagloth said:

I think Karen Gillian(Amy pond) also has a role. I remember seeing her in one of the trailers.

Ms. Gillian is portraying Nebula, a mercenary/space pirate who claims that Thanos is her grandfather.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    meagloth said:

O_o I just realized they're one party member short. I think they need a sorcerer.

In the comics they kinda-sorta have one (well the closest thing to it)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moondragon
    she has psionic powers.
    However: she can be defeated by closing her eyes and making her listen to Limp Bizkit and other nu-metal
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Bah! This will be best movie ever. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/