Skip to content

Pathetic ways of leveling up

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
What's the most pathetic way you have ever gained enough experience to go up a level? My paladin once did it by talking to Noober, which felt slightly less than heroic. I can't see the bards composing many ballads about that one.

Is this the most unspectacular way for your character to advance or does anyone know of something even less momentous?

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    ehhhh, solo game and just walking through all the beholder lairs with a shield of balderan. I think i ate while i did it since there wasn't the slightest bit of danger.
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    The only "cheap" way I trained was on Throne of Bhaal, I would fire at the giants in the distance which you cannot see from Saradush but just auto attack.
  • BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    Have the party's thief/bard drink 2-3 potions of master thievery. Go to Waukeen's Promenade. Steel all spells from Galoomp the Bookkeeper (or whatever his name is). You get like 3-4 scrolls of every spell. Learn all the spells. Delete them from your spellbook. Learn them again just for the XP.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Bringing Firebead a book.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Returning a dead cat and taking a young girl's pocket money
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Bringing Firebead a book.

That you can find in the house next door to his :)
    once, out of curiosity, i kicked everyone out of my party, equipped the bauldarn shield, paused the game, and CLUA'd in about 100 beholders. It might ahve been worth while if the game didn't slow to a crawl as the game trying to handle all those strings at once...........
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Elminster can't remember if there is any time in the game where reading a book is used as a trigger. Perhaps we are supposed to read the book he gives us and as it pertains to our heritage it counts as experience?
    Hurray for contrived explanations!
  • Sir_CarnifexSir_Carnifex Member Posts: 47
    Standing at the machine in Watcher's Keep and loading/saving to keep getting 100,000 XP. I only did that once because I dual-classed my cleric at level 17 and needed to get my fighter levels up before I finished the game. That character was THE most powerful one I've had yet.
    @sir_carnifex does that only work for xp? i'm not sure i heard of that one, and i guess it would seem more *honest* then clua'ing the xp in.
  • sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30
    I never used any exploits to level up, but I always found trap heavy areas kind of ridiculous because of the sheer amount of xp they can get you. Watcher's keep and one of the platforms near the underwater city have a lot of traps that can give dragon-esque xp with a little caution and some clicking.
    @Bjjorick

I would consider it worse than loading and saving after battles. You can only get XP from a battle once (assuming you don't find a bug or something) but you can keep getting it from that machine if you're willing to spend all day clicking it over and over again.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    @Bjjorick
    I just used Gatekeeper and ShadowKeeper to create the people I "Wanted" rather than waste time re-rolling or using the console...so much simpler and cleaner :)
    @immagikman lol, i think that perhaps char generation is part of the fun....but imight have to try your idea in the future. I did spend hours trying to get the big xp boost out of the deck of many things.....like 6 hours.....that was pretty pathetic. :)
    I usually re-roll until I get a minimum of 88 in stats. I could use an editor, but then I can't say I legitimately got those rolls...
    Oh I spent my fair share of wasted time rolling up character after character and exploring the games from end to end....after all I didn't find the 'keeper programs till well after I finished the game a couple of times for BG1, BG2...I played through once no tinkering then went at it in a big way.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2012
    CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP("5000000")
    I usually re-roll until I get a minimum of 88 in stats. I could use an editor, but then I can't say I legitimately got those rolls...
    Is there someone watching over your shoulder who will give you grief if you just create the character you have in mind without the rolling?
    Yeah. Me.
    Too funny :)
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308

Is there someone watching over your shoulder who will give you grief if you just create the character you have in mind without the rolling?

I don't know, the character creation process feels hollow to me if I resort to a editor (with the only exception being applying the attribute bonuses from BG1 if I'm just feeling like going through SoA).

Sure, rerolling is pointless but its there as part of the game.

And its a bit fullfilling when you get a WIZARD close to the 100s.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I think what I did was add in "restore trap/lock/spell experience in BG1. There is a scroll of armor and of infravision right in the first house and if I start out as a mage, I can get 2000 experience right off the bat. To go forward on that one... I would then go to Beregost and open EVERY locked door and EVERY locked chest. Suffice to say that everyone was like level 5 before chapter 3. It was kind of ridiculous... and made the game very easy in the very beginning.

Maybe I should try to challenge myself a bit more.
    @Aliteri
    I can understand that if you aren't a person who has a particular character already created in your mind, or have played in Pen and Paper....My Role Playing started in 1980, and it was pre-CRPG Pen and Paper, as such I have a ton of characters already generated that I would like to play again.....being able to recreate them exactly down to special resistances and owned items is where it is at for me. Obviously I make allowances for what their stats are or were at level 1.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It's not much of a way of levelling up, though I think Imoen will level up earlier because of it. I've always thought of that Imp summoning machine outside of the cages you are in in Irenicus's dungeon to be rather silly. You know that machine that summons maybe 6 or 7 and then stops and you can turn it off for a few thousand experience. If you want to make sure no prisoner escapes alive, why use summoned imps?
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    The talk cheat in the BG2. You can use it against beast like the shadow dragon or Firkrag or any enemy that starts out friendly to you. Just have to keep initiating a conversation every time seconds when you fight them and they'll never fight back.
    That never worked for me :P
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Only way I could beat all the golems in De'arnise Keep.
    edited August 2012
    I spent a lot of time running away from those golems, getting them stuck in doors and on corners....tough fight...took a loooong time too but slowly I whittled them down. If I recall correctly at one point the smaller glems could get through this door but the bigger ones couldnt so they all jammed up. killed the smaller ones and used cloudkill to kill all but the Iron Golem.
  • Dannen6272Dannen6272 Member Posts: 28
    The first time my friends and I played through on LAN, we rested over and over again in the flesh golem cave behind the sirens. It spawns more flesh golems almost every rest, so you can basically do it forever, we went from level 2 to about level 5-6 in there, its rough going at first but once you start going up levels it gets easier. Still a pretty pathetic use of an exploit tho.
    edited August 2012
    Golems in the cave were WAAAAAY easier to beat than the ones in De'Arnise Keep
    Well Unless you can get them stuck in a door then just sit back and cloudkill them all day long.