Skip to content

Ask the Bhaalspawn (Warning: Major spoilers and crude language)

2»

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Oh, I guess this is a question I need to answer out of character (at least I wouldn't know how to answer it in-character, that is).

The problem is, that I don't really understand the concept of gnomes.
    There are certain very distinct characteristics associated with them:
    - eccentric
    - clever
    - crafty
    - borderline annoying

And that's basically all their is. Then we got the looks.
    Sometimes they get depicted like classic garden gnomes yet other times they look like ElfQuest's wolfriders.

The problem is, that all I could come up with would either be a bland stereotype or something that isn't recognizable as a gnome at all and I really don't want that. Gnomes are neither meat nor fish.

I basically don't play them for the same reasons I don't play lawful evil characters, simply because I fail to get a proper grasp of the concept. That doesn't mean I am never going to play as a gnome though!

Maybe fiddling around more with character concepts and gaining a better understanding through experience will at some point make gnomes something I can identify with. Or maybe not. I just want to play characters I feel comfortable to play as, not just come up with them for the sake of diversity.
    RavenslightlolienSereverus
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

The problem is, that I don't really understand the concept of gnomes.
    There are certain very distinct characteristics associated with them:
    - eccentric
    - clever
    - crafty
    - borderline annoying

You... You described me so well!
    ElrandirlolienSereverus
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I have a question for a Bhaalspawn: Under what condition could you take a goblin into your party?
    lolienMoradinButtercheeseRavenslight
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    No one is wearing Ankheg armor? Daughter, I am disappoint! ;)
    ButtercheeselolienMoradin
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Question for Primula: What do you do if someone or something attacks you in a dungeon while you're playing that big lute?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @LadyRhian Don't forget the dreaded Spriggans. Spriggans are considered fae, but Spriggans in Forgotten Realms were made from Gnomes (by Netherese experiments iirc), so they ought to get a pass.

Giant gnomes somehow appeal to me. Especially since they get to cast Shatter, like, whenever. Not exactly amazing, but nifty.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited April 2015
    @DreadKhan This is true. There are some very non-standard versions of the races (like the Furchin halflings that are from the Polar regions) and Dark Sun's feral cannibalistic halflings (can you call them cannibals when they eat other races as well? I am not sure.) The Minoi (tinker gnomes of Krynn, cursed to be forever inventive, but have their inventions fail- their one "cursed" member of their race was cursed to always have his inventions succeed- madness!) And so on.

Even the Forgotten Realms has some very strange races that are considered unstandard, but useable. So there are the Swanmays (human or half-elven women who can change into swans using a token), Half-Giants or Firbolgs (mainly from the northern parts of the Realms. A series of novels in the "Giantcraft" series was based around the community of Hartsvale, dominated by Firbolgs and ruled by a Firbolg king). Thri-Keen (mainly in Dark Sun, but there are communities of these Insectoid Warriors in the Realms as well) and even half-ogres (who are even larger and stupider than half-orcs). They have a max 20 or 21 strength and a maximum of 9 intelligence- not exactly superior intellects here! They are also considered size L creatures and take more damage from weapons than normal. A longsword, for example, does 1-12 damage against size L creatures rather than 1-8 and a Two-Handed Sword does 3-18 damage to size L creatures.
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    lolien
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited December 2015
    Notification: "Buttercheese commented on Ask the Bhaalspawn"

Me: Aww heeeeeeeeeell yes!

Seriously, this is genuinely one of my favourite threads. But Xzar, though... =(
    NonnahswriterButtercheeseJuliusBorisov
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I am gonna keep on posting these in my art thread, this thread is officially closed.
    lolien
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Closed on OP request.
    Buttercheeselolien
This discussion has been closed.