Skip to content

How would an NPC react to a given situation?

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
@Quartz mentioned in the meme thread that no person in their right mind would return the girdle of piercing to Unshay (its proper owner).

Anyways, this got me thinking of an idea for a thread. A thread to discuss how you think any NPC in either game would react to a given situation (in this case returning this girdle).

I figure we start with how any particular NPC (in either game even if they don't make an appearance) would react to returning the girdle. After a day or two we can change the topic to another quest/event. I was thinking this would be more for joinable NPC's but feel free to discuss what the reaction would be from non-joinable NPCs.

For instance I imagine that Xan would see returning the girdle as being an entirely pointless endeavor (though if your character wants to keep him alive he/she would probably insist that he wear it all the same).

Edit: We are now on the Silke situation
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    What deltago said, except that Imoen would accept a payment if it was offered, but wouldn't demand who feel grumpy about it if there wasn't. She's a petty thief, but fundamentally good, and wouldn't take things from people whom it might hurt in some way. Maybe nobles, and monks who can afford to lose a purse or two.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Wilson: ROAR! (Unshey panics and runs away)
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    Alora would return the belt then steal it again

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Chloe would probably try to turn it into a sex toy. Or rather since it's a girdle of piercing, she'd try and prevent 'spears from getting close. She'd also probably hit on Unshey.
    The Aldeth Sashenstar vs Seniyad (and his druids) situation.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Keldorn, Anomen, Mazzy and most of the good and particularly lawful good city folk would side with Aldeth, though I'm sure they all would have been horrified at the lack of diplomatic options. I think they would have sided with him purely due to the Druids over-eagerness and their lack of interest in deciphering the truth of the matter would probably seal their fate for any Lawful Good character.

I think the rangers would try to sort things out but eventually side with the hunters mainly due to the druids not bothering to explain themselves.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Faldorn would side with the druids, but I think just about everyone else would side with Aldeth for the same reasons booinyoureyes just described, even Cernd and Jaheira (and therefore Khalid). Evil characters would side with Aldeth simply because he seems like he can afford greater gratitude than the druids.

Maybe a few NPC's, like Haer'Dalis, wouldn't take sides and just wait and see how it plays out.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Jaheira and Cernd might side with the druids for the sake of nature but since Seniyad & Co. are shadow druids this is by no means certain.

Faldorn would side with her fellow shadow druids.

The rest I think would side with Aldeth for the reasons already given.
    edited June 2014
    How would NPC's handle the Petrine and Bheren situation (its the one in the north section of Baldur's Gate that involves being asked to kill the cat/get the angel skin ring from inside the house)?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    elminster said:

How would NPC's handle the Petrine and Bheren situation (its the one in the north section of Baldur's Gate that involves being asked to kill the cat/get the angel skin ring from inside the house)?

Wilson: eat the cat.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Dorn would give both sides Unshay's girdle of piercing. Right to their face!
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited June 2014
    Krystin would spoon out the cat's brains while singing "ninety-nine buckets of blood on the wall" and her husband, Slythe, would start a naughty limerick with "I once met a man from Nantucket" before realizing what world he is in.

By the way....they are, in my opinion, the two most underrated and underused NPCs in all of BG.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

... since Seniyad & Co. are shadow druids ...

Actually, no. Perhaps surprisingly, Seniyad is (or was until you killed him!) the leader of Jaheira's own moderate faction of the druids, not a shadow druid at all. There's a dialogue option somewhere which reveals this ... IIRC, it's during the confrontation with Amarande and occurs only if Jaheira is in the party.

Now, returning to the current (Petrine and Bheren) topic:-

Every Good or Neutral character would do the decent thing and fetch the ring for Petrine. Every Evil character would kill Angel.

Montaron would make a ring out of Angel's pelt and give that to Petrine - "Here's a real 'Angel skin' ring, little girl ... bwahahahaha, look at the soppy kid cry, best laugh I've had for weeks!"

Shar-Teel would kill the cat - "If it bleeds, I can kill it!", then kill Bheren - "That's for abusing your niece, male scum! ... I love bloodshed!", and then probably kill Petrine too - "I can't stand whiny kids!"
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited June 2014
    Chloe... likes pussy. The joke writes itself. I'm so very sorry.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Dazzu said:

Chloe... likes pussy. The joke writes itself. I'm so very sorry.

Chloe... Is not real.
    edited June 2014
    How would NPC's react to the Samuel situation? (return him to the Friendly Arm Inn temple, give him to the Flaming Fist, etc)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    elminster said:

How would NPC's react to the Samuel situation? (return him to the Friendly Arm Inn temple, give him to the Flaming Fist, etc)

Drow from Ust'Natha: "New food for our spiders!"
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Baeloth: Fireball them all. Or capture them and use them in an arena.