Skip to content

[Forum features] "No!" button

GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
Can we please have a "No!" or "Disagree" button (alongside Like and Agree and so on), especially here in the Feature Requests section?

That way, we could point out when we think something is a stupid idea, without actually having to post "That's a stupid idea!" and risk getting into a flamewar with whichever dimwit suggested the stupid idea.

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    There was a "disagree" button, long time ago. No idea as to why it was removed.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    bengoshi said:

No!

Because it's technically unfeasible? Or because you think it's a stupid idea?
    Troodon80 said:

It was removed, at least in part, because it was abused. To some people it was a way of getting back at another user who disagreed with them in the past.

Arghh, how childish ... but fair point, I suppose there'd inevitably be some berks who'd do this.

However, would it be possible to add such a button just in Feature Requests, rather than everywhere? There'd be less motive for such abuse in this forum than in General Discussion. Or is that impossible?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I am almost certain that when a plugin is installed it is applied forum-wide rather than just one category or section.
    Oh well. I guess it's not a viable idea, then. Pity.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I've thought about this before, and I don't think it would work well, especially if it was counted like other reactions. A 500 disagrees badge would be interesting though:P I actually think that none of the reactions should be displayed the way they are. Maybe it could count them internally and keep giving badges(I don't like that thoiugh) that way it's just an easy way to see what people think of an individual post, instead of making the forum into a game, or worse, a competition.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2014
    If you disagree on something, don't hit the Agree button? Problem solved.

Personally, I'm against any of the Like/Agree/Insightful buttons and post counts.
    Because it kind of promotes ignoring the less popular posts and posters in favor of the other ones.

"Oh this user has a billion posts and Likes/Agrees, his post is bound to be better than the others."

It's not true for everyone but unconsciously, a more popular post/poster will draw your attention more.

Without them, you actually have to read each post and make up your opinion on why you agree or disagree.

I once saw a sarcastic signature banner that said:
    "Remember kids, the bigger the post count, the bigger your penis is."
    It might be not true for every forum, but it is partially and for many of them.

That's why I liked the old Bioware forum. No post counts, no Like buttons.

Yeah I know, the Bioware forum has an awful reputation but the legacy games sections (like NwN1/2, BG1/2, Kotor1/2, Jade Empire) are full of mature people and helpful posts.

All the vitriol and gargage is in the Dragon Age/Mass Effect/The Old Republic sections.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    Some people are WAY too sensitive to have such a feature. I'm talking ragequit a forum sensitive.

And then of course you would have people who would thrive on being disagreed with. Some people feed on that kind of stuff.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Some people are WAY too sensitive to have such a feature. I'm talking ragequit a forum sensitive.

And then of course you would have people who would thrive on being disagreed with. Some people feed on that kind of stuff.

Too true