Skip to content

To Metal or not To Metal? Forumites music tastes-related poll

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2014
    Death Metal for me. And it's Thrash Metal not Trash Metal. ;) As in Thrashing = moshing.

Vader, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Bloodbath, Kataklysm etc.

But I love other kinds of metal as well. Heavy, Power, Thrash, Symphonic, some Black.
    And Hard Rock as well: Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, Dire Straits.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    No Doom Metal, no Black Metal, no Sludge, no point. Gimme Enslaved, Immortal, Baroness, Iron Monkey, Neurosis, The Melvins, Red Fang, Saviors, Agalloch, Bison BC, Yob, Reverend Bizarre or Ghost any day of the week.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    Also Nu Metal is metal that is played by (and marketed to) people who are ashamed to like metal. It is therefore not metal.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Speaking of Thrash and Death. I couldn't resist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8b1dxlyeI
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Couldn't decide as I like most of the abovementioned, notably Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden and much much more...
  • GodmarGodmar Member Posts: 159
    Remember what the Lord of Murder listens to!
    Actually, I listen to all the first four genres...but this is my favorite one.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited June 2014
    I think this category comes closest to my preferred genre which is (according to Amazon) Prog Rock, although my most-played artist would be Latin Quarter and I have no idea what category they fit into - Hauntingly Unsettling? ("If chaos had a face it would have your endless eyes" - the opening line from their track 'Nico').
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    All sorts of old metal. The Big Four, some death, some thrash, some doom, sleazy 80's hair band metal, just all sorts.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    That is really bugging me now. 7,405,926... >:O
    You evil evil man! :P
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm mostly into viking metal, folk metal, black metal, melodic death metal, power metal, progressiv metal and anything in-between.

Though I do prefer deep, guttural voices over high-pitched ones. ;-)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

EDIT: still no one catched the 7,405,926 quote?

Well, according to Johann Weyer there are 7,405,926 deamons in the world rules by 82 demon princes.
    But I'm guessing It's from the Yngwie Malmsteen song daemon dance (7,405,926), considering the topic.
    Aside from that, I was asking a real question.
    meagloth said:

@Metalloman‌ where does rush fit in your poll?

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited June 2014
    I missed your question! Sorry!

Well, Rush are a little complex to fit in a genre... someone would call them blues, someone would call them rock, someone would call them prog rock, someone would call them heavy metal...the truth is that they're all of this mixed alltoghether, they cycle their way of express themselves from album to album...
    I would either put them in the "classic" and in the "dreaming" options, but they wouldn't fit none of them completely.

EDIT: good catch for the quote! ;)

EDIT: good catch for the quote! ;)

I... May have, uh, googled it a little. Ya'know, just to be sure:P
    :( too bad...
    I hoped that at least someone could have known that...
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2014
    I hear mainly southern rock bands, mostly from the 70's, such as:

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Allman brothers etc.

Metal is just not for me, to say the least.. :-p
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I like mostly Hard Rock bands from the 70's, such as Blue Öyster Cult, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foghat, and many others, especially for their amazing guitar solos.

Sometimes, I add some Gothic Metal on the side, like Lacuna Coil (I have to blame "Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines" for that).
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Dear @Metalloman‌ I just want to know where to put Black Sabbath, than I'll vote.
    BLack Sabbath are my all time favourite band, but I Love 70's and 80's hard rock and metal.

Anyway METAL RULEZ
    T^T

This poll is SO limited! T^T

I would put them in Classic, 10 poll options are not enough!!!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2014
    I don't see any other comments from someone who picked Eurometal, so I'll post just to represent.

Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Edguy are all bands with some of the best metal albums. I like the classics as well like Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Zeppelin, and Rush (though I'd call them Hard Rock). I'm not a fan of growling vocals but sometimes I can like Iced Earth and Alestorm. Anyways, up the irons guys.
    My vote was for Classic mainly because of Black Sabbath.
    Other bands I love are:
    Dio
    Led Zeppelin
    Deep Purple
    Tool
    Ramones
    The Clash
    CCCP Fedeli alla Linea (you mentioned them first :D )
    Motorhead
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Rainbow
    Uriah Heep
    Metallica
    Anthrax
    Iron Maiden
    Type 0 Negative
    System of a Down
    Body Count (Ok, they made just one good album, but I love it)

... and many many more
    Damn you guys! So the Metal People is here! :D

Bless U in the name of Metal |,,/_
    Ok, I simply can't live without mentioning some non-heavy metal bands I adore:

Cream
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The Who
    The Pixies (how could I forget!!!!)
    King Crimson
    Pink Floyd
    Jethro Tull
    Genesis (Peter Gabriel era)
    AD/DC
    The Police
    The Cure
    The Smiths
    Joy Division
    Peter Gabriel
    Depeche Mode
    edited June 2014
    the "dreaming is the way" option refers mostly (not only) to '70 rock/prog rock, also:
    lolien said:

Jethro Tull, Christmas Song: you can't call this metal.

Metallica Nothing else matters: it's rather rock, to be honest.

Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven: too.

You can't fit a band for just a song, but for the whole, or at least for their golden age.

Jethro tull is a Progressive Rock band, Led Zeppelin are rock/blues at the beginning, but also Hard-Rock pioneers.
    I've put them in that category because these are two of the late '60s (prominent in '70s) bands that experimented so much that they revolutionised the whole concept of rock, allowing it to evolve and set the basis of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.
    Why "dreaming"? Because of the subject of most of the songs of all these bands (I've listed only five but I should have listed more - much more, as in every other category) and because of the Hippie age! ;P

Tell me if you don't dream on the notes of Broadsword or Stairway to Heaven or The Gates of Delirium. I literally fly away with my mind.

Metallica are (were?) Thrash Metal. Period. Nothing Else Matters is a ballad. Every Metal band worthy of that name has at least one. I don't consider albums from Load to the present day, however. And Metallica (the Black Album) is on the edge of the razor for me: you can feel Metallica's change so hard that it hurts, from that album going on to present.

Nightwish are a Metal band. Their sound is mostly Power Metal and their main trait was the soprano voice of Tarja Turunen. Many call them "Opera Metal", because of the voice and the symphonic themes in their songs, but their root is Power Metal. Now... well, since Tarja is gone I've stopped listening to them, so I can't speak.

Unfortunately, due of limited options, most of that you listed go in "other"... :(

EDIT: typo

Words. See above.

Two agrees.
    Ahahahahah! @Southpaw me too!! ;p

And just for info: that one is Joey DeMaio for sure!!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Mostly instrumental music, soundtracks from games, movies, animes etc. Just for the emotions.