Skip to content

To Metal or not To Metal? Forumites music tastes-related poll

MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
edited June 2014 in Off-Topic
Ok guys, 4 is a crowd for me so I'll tell you what came in my mind for a poll.

It's some time that I wonder which kinds of people wander here: as some of you may know, more than often Fantasy fans are also rockers/metallers, not always of course, as in some cases there are metalheads that hate Fantasy in every form and there are many non rockers/metallers which likes Fantasy really much but, in my long, personal experience, these particular kinds of literature and music tastes often are tightly bonded, as a great part of rock and metal music (from '70 prog rock to '90 power metal, F.I.) have fantasy and epic thematics.

So, said that, I'm really curious on how many people here are rock/metal listeners and at which degree and how many are not but likes fantasy the same.

Tell me, forum mates, let me know which kind of music do you listen and please don't offend who have different tastes, ok?

I wanted to add Punk, Blues and Classic Rock but unfortunately only 10 poll options are available, so these sticks in the "other" option... :(

Enjoy!
|,,/_
  1. To Metal or not To Metal? Forumites music tastes-related poll65 votes
    1. |,,/_ Classic Metal/NWOBHM- (Iron Maiden, Manowar, Judas Priest, Saxon, Accept, etc)
      12.31%
    2. |,,/_ Trash is my business... and business is good - (Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Kreator, Testament, etc)
        1.54%
    3. |,,/_ *growling sounds and screamings in the distance* - (Slayer, Morbid Angel, Amon Amarth, Death, Deicide, etc)
        4.62%
    4. |,,/_ UAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! - (Helloween, Blind Guardian, Domine, Running Wild, Stratovarius, etc)
        4.62%
    5. |,,/_ Endless keyboards and odd tempos- (Dream Theatre, Symphony X, Queensrÿche, Royal Hunt, Anubis Gate, etc)
        0.00%
    6. |,,/_ Dreaming is the way - (Led Zeppelin, Hawkwind, Yes, Manilla Road, Jethro Tull, etc)
      12.31%
    7. |,,/_ All of the above plus something like 7,405,926 more Metal and Rock groups because Metal is the way.
      15.38%
    8. |,,/_ I prefer Nu Metal/Rock - (Korn, Guano Apes, Limp Bizkits, Slipknot, Soulfly, etc9
        4.62%
    9. |,,/_ All of the above plus Nu Metal/Rock - (I can't see differences/I don't want to see differences)
        4.62%
    10. /°o°\ What the hell do you listen? - (I like other - please specify)
      40.00%

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    \m/
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited June 2014
    Of course I chosen the 7th option.
    As some of you know, I like all rock/metal but nu rock/metal. I'm not a hater, it's only matter of tastes, of course.

Also I not limit myself to rock and metal but also I listen to other genres, like symphonic and classical music, jazz, fusion, blues, '80 new wave, punk, for instance, but this is only a small portion related to my main musical passion: Metal! ;D

Hint: 7,405,926 is a quote.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I mostly like classical.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited June 2014
    I hear Led Zeppelin and Yes, but I consider myself much more tied with synphonic rock, like Genesis (with Peter Gabriel), The Who, Pink Floyd, The Pixies, The Police, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, several Classical music composers (the only ones I know to spell are Mozart, Bach and Vivaldi), King Crimson, Jimi Hendrix, The Talking Heads, David Bowie, R.E.M., Rick Wakeman, U2, Frank Zappa, jazz (Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, James Hall etc), Robyn Hitchcock and Bob Marley.
    I'm probably missing some, but well, I can't remember much more.
    Edit: Queen, Nine Horses, The Black Keys, Joni Mitchell and Peter Gabriel were some that I missed.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Johnny Cash, Townes Van Zandt, Jim Croce, and Steve Earle... Anything else just makes me want to murderize people.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    Very difficult. Iron Maiden is the best and Saxon and Priest are up there, but I also love Kamelot and Symphony X so prog metal rules too... but I also love Blind Guardian and Dream Evil so Power is also awesome... and then Iced Earth rules and they combine almost everything...and dang, I love Skid Row, Bon Jovi and all them too

Basically any metal without too much growling and yelling and vomitting into microphones. That stuff is ugly and sounds like mud.

Any metal with melody is great. My top bands?
    Top five that I listen to regularly: Maiden, Kamelot, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Evergrey
    Then there is Manowar and Symphony X... Judas Priest, Dream Evil, Firewind, Ozzy, Sabbath, Saxon, Skid Row... it goes on

Its funny because I do go some months without listening to too much metal since I need a break. I also like Country, some 90s/early 2000s rock and Pop too (yeah, I love LFO almost as much as I love Iced Earth). I'm almost as likely to listen to the Backstreet Boys as I am Manowar tbh. I love Savage Garden as well as the Goo Goo Dolls and Hootie and the Blowfish may be a two hit wonder... but man do I listen to those two hits a LOT. Favorite country is actually Montgomery Gentry... criminally underrated duo.

So I'd say metal is "my" music simply because I listen to the entire discography of multiple bands, while when it comes to other styles I mostly just listen to specific tunes that are catchy and fit certain moments. For example, those dudes who did "This is... the story of a girl!" apparently have entire albums out and stuff, but who really cares? Their one hit is incredibly catchy though.

edit: Oh yeah, I also listen to Greek music (pop) and Hawaiian music (in the summer)
    Lol Boo, you should have chosen "all of the above", as you like almost all rock-metal subgenres, but there's no problems, as the meaning of this poll is to talk about personal tastes in music other than see how many forumites here likes metal, rock or other genres. :)

I also have to apologise if the pool seems too specific on a side and too generic to the other side, but really, 10 options are too few for this kind of discussions... I needed at least 15 different choices to be fair, 20 to be fair to all and as specific as I would have been...

I promise to answer to all (almost) and to participate more to the discussion, but now I'm outside (what a new!!) And I'm on mobile, that has low battery now and so I can't follow right now... :(

Please you all participate and express your opinions (respectfully, please): I'm really interested in knowing you all better! :D
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited June 2014
    Nu metal is good shit. I like how they take elements of rock and metal and throw in some rap, electro, and funk. Some of it was just an attempt to do what was cool at the time (it was all the rage in the 90's), but a fair bit of it is genuinely interesting experimental music.

Korn, Linkin Park, The Deftones, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, (early) Thousand Foot Krutch, Rage Against the Machine (amazing instrumentally, idiotic lyrically).

I don't like new stuff. You know, Avenged Sevenfold, Asking Alexandria, Bring Me The Horizon and all that stuff. I hate it. They don't experiment at all, they do what they know works and never challenge themselves to do anything interesting or fresh. Only newish band I am decently fond of is Five Finger Death Punch, and it's only because I saw them live and it was excellent -- the over-production of the vocals kills their albums for me.

I like classic stuffs alright, especially Iron Maiden. They kick ass. In terms of thrash I am fond of Megadeth, I don't much like Metallica yes I realize that makes me a terrible person to some.

Death metal sucks, I'm sorry I don't see the charm of endlessly down-tuned guitars, chromatic scales, chugging riffs, rapid double bass, and constantly growled or else squealed vocals. Their drummers know how to work a ride cymbal so they've got that going for them but that's about it.

I don't like those "endless keyboards and odd tempos" bands because it sounds like they're trying so hard to be technical and in doing as such they fail to establish a catchy beat/rhythm.

Led Zeppelin is fantastic. I prefer early Led Zeppelin of course, the blues covers that were rocked and funked up. Speaking of funk … Primus is amazing, I guess they'd be considered nu metal, they're like 60% funk 40% rock or some such.

"Stoner metal" like Mastodon is charming in its way. Of course Mastodon's vocalist sucks so I can never get too into them, unfortunately.

Also … this is slightly relevant … you'll know it when you see it. Fair warning, it's a cringe pic for sure.

• maximaxi Member Posts: 86
    hard to pick only one genre... my absolute favourites in metal world are : Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Iced earth, Therion, Rage (especially with the orchestra)... and then I like angra, moonspell, helloween, manowar, megadeth and metallica (only the first few albums).
    and if I have to pick an album, well, nightfall in middle earth from blind guardian is spectacular... and then follows horror show (iced earth), XIII (rage).

I have also to say that it has been a long time since I heard something new, so I am not following any kind of music lately, I am still stucked with the same music I listened 10 years ago! :) I miss so much heavy metal live shows...
    also I love The Doors and Pink Floyd :)

edited June 2014
    Yeah, @Anduin‌, I'm really sorry, as I said I wanted to include more options but I can't because of this lack of sufficient options numbers... also I gave myself metal/non metal as a priority, I'll meditate to do another poll with other options... I suggest to put Queen on classic/nwobhm as I consider them classic (rock, not metal of course, I've put just 5 examples for category but I should have put much more) but they were very progressive for their time... I would suggest to you all to use these choices as loose as they could be, so sub-subgenres are better to be put in their somewhat main categories if you can, please don't be too specific, because of the obvious limitations of this pool...

I would have added hard rock, glam, grunge, black, etc etc but simply I can't! I had to do some choices!

(Yes, I've managed to find a usb plug!)
    Post edited by Metalloman on
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    K. I think I can make my choice...
    edited June 2014
    @Elrandir: unfortunately this poll is uber-limited, so you should either make a choice or not... if you like some metal try to take an option that mostly covers your tastes, if it is the case... if not you are free to discuss here without being obliged to make a choice. :)
    @TarotMaster‌: |,,/_

Turisas isn't that band which made a cover of that '70s song "Rasputin"? (that is awesome)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited June 2014
    very confusing poll, not sure if I chose right. I like punk rock like Rise Against, 30 Seconds to Mars, Blink 182, etc most of all. I do love a lot of different types of metal though. Not big on screamo, but if it is rock I most likely like it. Beyond rock if you ask me if I like it I will probably be very verbal about my hatred of it (rap, I'm looking at you. pop also to name a few)
    Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I prefer death metal and post rock. Oh woes of the sheer number of metal genres :)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @Metalloman‌ where does rush fit in your poll?
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Classic all the way! I have very eclectic tastes in music however, if you want to know metal tastes, then classic is my preferred :)

I do however love a lot of others! Queen, ELO, Led Zepplin, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, Live, Breaking Benjamin, Green Day, and we recently found a very unusual "Steampunk" group called Abney Park who I don't mind some of either. I can also handle me some Rammstein when I'm in the right mood to :)

I also have a fairly large collection of other random music because I play drums and love to hear different styles and techniques! :D

Also have a fairly large collection of soundtrack pieces and classical/orchestral as well. As I said, very eclectic tastes...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I've always been a punk.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Metalloman‌ I chose the "other" option. It was as close to "all and none" as I could get. =p