Skip to content

Mods I'd like to see updated to bgee

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Ward said:

@Erephine's 22.05 - 44.01khz mod, already perfect and needs to happen at all costs after realizing what a difference.

I sure hope that one won't be necessary with BG:EE.

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    @AndreaColombo Good point, they need to find the sauce music (probably in the same vendor as the other stuff) and add it to their game burger. I guess they can rip it from the soundtrack but it seems to me that it is missing a lot of music (lots of tavern songs missing).

If all else fails Beamdog, atleast put in some relish. It'd be sweet music to our ears to hear you say you put sauce in our burger.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    @DavidW That sounds awesome. I can't imagine myself playing without improved AI. Especially since mages no longer have the uber shadow door that kept them invisible completely, enemy mages certainly need a buff that SCS gives them.
  • AndyrAndyr Member Posts: 14
    @cmorgan You can try bribing me. :) Not sure what code changes would be needed--I guess that's something which may come to light when the new game is released? I don't know whether I'd be able to do much coding myself but would happy to help others convert mods I have been involved in.
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Ward said:

@Erephine's 22.05 - 44.01khz mod, already perfect and needs to happen at all costs after realizing what a difference.

@Ward
    I've been playing BG1/2 mods the greater part of this past decade and have never heard of this, from the title it looks like a sound/audio/soundtrack mod but could you explain further.

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Andyr said:

@cmorgan You can try bribing me. :)

With what, exactly? Money is in short supply as a graduate student.

However, you have a willing team to bring Eranon to fruition. And if you see NiGHTMARE, Lands of Intrigue as well :).
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Paheej It's essentially a conversion which updates the original game soundtrack at 22.05khz to the CD quality versions released in certain bundles, which run at 44.01khz.

The game is designed to play at 22.05khz, so if you simply copy and paste the 44.01khz score into the correct folder, you'll find the music plays at half time in game (sounds epic).

All the instructions should be available with the download. I'll summon @Erephine, she can explain it better. ;)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Dazzu said:

BG isn't BG anymore without Finch, Mur'neth and Indira.

You forget Gavin. Luckily he is a good and humble guy and won't smite thee for forgetting him.

cmorgan said:

@Dazzu, sure thing - I should have been clearer -
    I just listed my personal priorities for workload - BG1NPC, Finch (hosted at PocketPlaneGroup), and Indira, in that order if possible. That's just because those are my personal "must have available"s, and I am sure Berelinde will be working on Gavin.

That's one Like added!

edited August 2012
    Now for chiming in with my own wishlist:

of the above ones, I definitely will look forward to:
    - BGEE 1 NPC project,
    - SCS for BGEE,
    - aTweaks and RR
    to be made compatible. But there's also
    - lots of tweaks in the Fixpack's 'optional but cool' and
    - lots of tweaks in the BG2Tweakpack that I surely will miss if they're not around (most of all I don't need to be told to 'gather my party and venture forth' x times in a row).

But also very high on my wishlist:
    - Hard Times!
    The Swordcoast won't feel like there's a crisis to be solved (and the game will be far to easy to beat) without it!

*edited to be made into easy readible list.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182

You forget Gavin. Luckily he is a good and humble guy and won't smite thee for forgetting him.

"Damn my clumsiness!" I like Gavin in my team when taking the friendship path. Tried the romance once and it made me kick him after a while because of that overboard clumsiness display.
    @Miloch Actually, from memory Eranon was fully-functional and about ready to go. I had just intended to write a bit more of a quest and more dialogue for him. I don't recall whether I ever had voice recorded for him; if not, perhaps we could find someone willing. But the main aspects (initial encounter, items, some interactions) were all set and working. So perhaps we could get Mur'Neth and Eranon updated for BGEE without too much hassle.

With Eranon, I had a) wanted to include a Monk in the game (which BGEE seems to have done, now, too?), and b) wanted to include the Githyanki/Githzerai/Illithid aspect and mythology (some of my favourite things about the Planes) in there too.

Having said that, I am not sure where my code is--the motherboard from my laptop at the time broke, and while I do have a backup of that hard drive, it will take a little digging to find. So it's somewhere here, and I wonder if there may still be a version on the G3 site.

Regarding Lands of Intrigue: my main contribution to that was going to be the kits, which got spun off into Divine Remix, Sword and Silence and so forth. I have not spoken with NiGHTMARE in some years so not sure what he was planning any more, if anything. I'd also intended to add Mur'Neth to BG2, in the Athkatla sewers, and think I'd got a basic version coded up.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    That'd be great if you could find Eranon, @Andyr. There seems to be a lot of interest in it, and BG:EE would obviously heighten that. I don't think there's a copy on G3 or anywhere else, not according to anyone I asked, not even Grim Squeaker (who I thought was doing or had done the voicing?).

As for LoI, I seem to recall NiGHTMARE offered to hand over his development files for that last he was about, but AFAIK that never made it off his hard drive either unfortunately (except for the components that ended up elsewhere, as you mentioned).
    Oh yes, now you mention it, I think GS did do the voicing. So he may well be pretty much ready to go--if I can find the files.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @cmorgan I love Finch, but can you sort her glasses out please. (BGT player, sorry :P)
  • GraungaardGraungaard Member Posts: 4
    SCS would be most important to me.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    @Anduin - I'll takle a look and make suggestions, as @JCompton is her manager - I don't know how she works on BGT at all, as she was designed around Tutu, but I could be behind the times :)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @cmorgan She works on BGT with fixes. Many TuTu mods work on BGT with fixes :P The glasses never worked as they were hacked... You got round it by including a pair glasses of identification. But it is not the only prob. Look...

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/42220-fixes-for-the-big-fixpack/page__view__findpost__p__544372

Finch is so cool she gets her own fix to incorporate her into BGT.
    edited August 2012
    Thank you for the reference! I'll log it for when I get time to start thinking about her.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Can't believe you don't have 1PP on your list.

You've been missing out, I loved my thief wearing elven chainmail showing up as green mailed shoulder plates with a hood.

Also the legacy round buckler look just trumphs all the other shields.
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    @Kenji 1PP has officially been incorporated into BGEE, the mod author gave their permission to the Devs. At least that is what I remember reading somewhere.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited August 2012
    @EpitomyofShyness Thanks, that is really really good to know.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @EpitomyofShyness - Somewhere like here, perhaps? ;)
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    @AndreaColombo Yes that is exactly where I saw it! Thanks for the link.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Has anybody mentioned Level 1 NPCs? I always make Minsc a berserker.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @cmorgan - who are these Indira and Finch people? Tell them to stand and deliver so that my hamster might have a better look at them.

Seriously - first I have seen anything about these two.
    edited September 2012
    @reedmilfam

Both are on this page at PocketPlane Group:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=134&Itemid=94

Finch, by Bons, is pretty darned cool in my estimation. Who doesn't like a cute gnomish librarian? What monster exists who would deny helping her gather a library to educate the poor and downtrodden of Faerun? (Did I mention that she has cleric spells for cures, good lore, and glasses of identification, so your spellcasters never have to use Indentify ever again?)

Ghreyfain's Indira I am less familiar with, but I remember liking having her in my game. F/M's are fragile, and I always wanted to figure out how to take her with me into BG2, where she could become the overpoweredness that is Half Elven F/M. I don't remember if she was just friendship or friendship and romance, but I don't ever remember starting the romance as I usually play a Chevalier romancing Dynaheir.

Both were designed for Tutu, back when the only good way of making a mod for BG was to first mod it with the "TuTu" conversion ("TuTu" = "To Two", or "BG One Converted To Two"). The original authors retired before Baldurs gate trilogy came into its own, but the BiG World Megamod folks have found ways of converting the Tutu versions to work on BGT.

So, the reason you have probably not heard of them is because in order to play them in BGT, you have to put a mod designed to sit on top of a mod and then mod it to fit the new mod, which is built by modding BG and BG2... and if you want to make it simpler, you use EasyTutu, which just backs you down to a mod placed on top of a mod...

...and people wonder why most modders are incredibly happy with the whole BG:EE concept :)
    Post edited by cmorgan on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I am excited about mods; the hard part is that they seem to exist all over the place. I am hoping the sites for them will mark the good ones (meaning new) as FOR EE or something like that. I don't know; it's just so hard to know what adds value and what is another OP or cheesy romance mod. No offense to the cheese lovers, I just don't want a character that is "Hot, oversexed ranger looking for single (any race) bhaalspawn to make passionate love to in between battles" or whatnot.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @reedmilfam With large/significant mods you usually have the opportunity to do some reading-up and get people's opinions.. several mods have very detailed documentation - though arguably the only surefire way to get full insight into whether or not it's something for you is to try them out for yourself.

With NPC mods it can be hard to tell as they can't be documented in the same way, though you can often get a general idea of what you're getting into. With the main, popular ones though, you can expect them to be well-working, balanced and not very cheesy. Many of the BG1 NPC Project characters have imo amazing writing, meshing flawlessly with the rest of the game. To me, that makes the experience so much richer that I can't really imagine going back and play without it, but others still prefer their games unmodded, so.. in the end you probably have to try for yourself anyhow.