Skip to content

What I want in Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition (EE)

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    rockwand said:

@kcwise‌

That was my first thought too and probably, like you said, the main reason why it wasn't done. I wouldn't even mind having the companions as DLC in the future but the odds are not very welcoming. Like I said, a shame, since I like Beamdogs writing.

@Schneidend‌

Not for me, it isn't. Look, I respect that for a lot of people these new classes posibilities are very appealing but for me they are just a "nice" extra. What I was really looking forward was the kind of party interaction that made BG2's journey really memorable (for me).

You can never tell what might happen, and I certainly wouldn't complain if Beamdog released a bunch of interesting companions in a future DLC. More options increase replayability. If IWDEE is popular enough anything is possible, even IWD2EE.

I think it would be fun if writers like Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham, R.A. Salvatore, etc. each created a unique NPC for the game. Since Wizards of the Coast seems to want to promote the Forgotten Realms these days that would be a nice way to do it. It's really unlikely, but I can dream.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    rockwand said:

So even if introducing 5 companions is a lot of work, I think is still much less than what they did for BG and BG2, but who knows, I am just assuming stuff here. In any case, for a lot of players there will be no reason to buy ID and ID2 EE if they don't have new companions. What would be the point?, I just can reinstall the vanilla ID for a vanilla experience at that point.

I don't think it' such a huge effort. The way it it now, the party consists of six people who wound up in Easthaven for one reason or another and stick together after they survive the avalance that kills Hrothgar and the other relief for Kuldahar.

I love the feel of playing a klose-knit group of companions who together brave the way to Kuldahar, struggle against the evil forces that threaten the town, and survive the dangers of the Spine of the World; who rely on each other in a deadly environment.
    To me, joinable NPCs should be found only in Easthaven and maybe one or two in Kuldahar, but not later, because it would dilute the sense of 'common' experience and the individual purpose of being part of the party if you picked up and kicked girls and guys as you roam through the mountains.

• rockwandrockwand Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2014
    @kcwise‌

Personally, I think the team have made up their mind but, like you said, we can dream. For me, DLC companions would be the difference between passing on this EE or buying it for sure, and probably I am not alone on this one since a lot of people already have the disc or GOG version. We'll see. I would love to be wrong about it though.
    Post edited by rockwand on
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    CamDawg said:

We are planning five NPCs, all of whom will be required to be in the party and can't be kicked out, and four of them will be single-class thieves. The fifth is a wizard slayer.

Not even remotely serious

I was looking forward to that gay romance gnome monk/kensai.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Dee said:

Actually, the NPCs we have planned make use of 4e's "Unaligned" alignment. It's like they can fit in any party!

Harr harr. Unaligned is the Neutral alignment in 4E, and fitting in virtually any party is basically what Neutral NPCs did in 2E and 3E games.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I should have said 5e, not 4e. In 5e, "unaligned" refers to animals and other creatures that have no moral or ethical bent.
    Dee said:

I should have said 5e, not 4e. In 5e, "unaligned" refers to animals and other creatures that have no moral or ethical bent.

Oh, interesting. Probably a better term for such beasties, aye. Though, it also implies that bears are not Chaotic Evil. Wake up, America!

Excuse me, but:

Ha! Good fun.
    Players who actually think they're being punished are either bad players, or have been conditioned by a bad DM who literally does punish them.
    Are there players out there who think having the constabulary come after them for that town they destroyed are being "punished"?
    @Buttercheese‌ I do agree, on all counts.

I once ran a Chaotic Good Fighter charname with Aerie (romanced), Jaheira, Viconia, Minsc, and Jan in tow. The banter was truly choice.
    @Dee‌
    Again, I agree. No matter what conflict causes it, a character leaving always seems like a failure. If a character is going to leave the party, it should be because they get dramatically separated, or some other obligation prevents them coming along, not because a given player/character can't handle the drama.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited September 2014
    I don't know, having actual real-life experience on hiking parties, I know that two people who would usually be at each other's throat do indeed start working together when they are on the road. A common goal and having to depend on each other can work wonders and I believe that is especially true for an environment as hostile and life-threatening as north of the spine of the world.

Even if two characters would end up hating each other, they wouldn't be so stupid to suddenly travel alone through the dale unless they have a serious death wish.

This of course is a plotpoint advantage that IWD has over BG, so IWD can get away with far fewer NPC companions as BG2 does, if every character gets a legitimate interest in the main quest and/ or traveling with the protagonist.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2014
    Disappointing to see Trents tweet there, personally I think I'll wait until I've either exhausted BG1&2EE, they release DLC companions or some modders get together and produce something great.

For me it's not enough to simply port the new engine, kits and spells from previous EEs I was hoping for a bit more "new" content personally.
    Post edited by jobby on
    jobby said:

Disappointing to see Trents tweet there, personally I think I'll wait until I've either exhausted BG1&2EE, they release DLC companions or some modders get together and produce something great.

For me it's not enough to simply port the new engine, kits and spells from previous EEs I was hoping for a bit more "new" content personally.

They're also adding more items and restoring cut content. So, there will be new loot to grab, and more quests to quest.
    Already played IWD with UB and Kuyloks NPC mod, so apart from a few new items it will be an inferior experience for myself.
    jobby said:

Already played IWD with UB and Kuyloks NPC mod, so apart from a few new items it will be an inferior experience for myself.

Well, if you already played with one of the vaunted NPC mods, wouldn't any new NPCs likewise be an "inferior experience," since it's apparently boring after you've seen it once?
    What are you talking about? I am looking for new content preferably in the shape of new NPCs, why would I find that boring? And how could I have already played the game with them?

Each to their own man, for me IWD is too shallow in the storyline/character development department without additions to that area I personally don't feel like paying $20 for a game I already own, twice.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Dee said:

But everyone knows dogs are lawful good and cats are chaotic evil!
    Fardragon said:

But everyone knows dogs are lawful good and cats are chaotic evil!

I couldn't agree more.
    @Dee‌

"Actually, the NPCs we have planned make use of 4e's "Unaligned" alignment. It's like they can fit in any party!"

"Have planned" as in they will eventually come out as DLC or "had planned" as in they are scrapped now?

Oh, thank Bhaal.
    @‌ Dee

Haha, ok, thanks for elaborating. Well, I hope to see those NPCs in the future!

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I would love to get more side quest and stories in Icewind dale.