Skip to content

Umber Hulks

How do I kill them?

Especially when there is more then one of them...

(Any advice on Minotaurs would also be highly appreciated)

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    o.O those are pretty easy to kill creatures... If you are having trouble with them I would suggest some confusion protection (for the umber hulks) and some good crowd control spells. Emotion is a pretty awesome spell for those kinds of enemies. Other than that just just keep your squishy mages in back and let your bulky fighters beat them into oblivion.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Have your priests cast chaotic commands on as many of your party members as possible, it lasts a seriously long time, too. Pick your toughest warriors first, and send them in alone. You can also do it to a mage that has death spell memorized. They're just low enough of level for Death Spell to clear a room full of them. Some surprisingly tough to take out creatures in SOA are vulnerable to it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited July 2014
    When it comes to Umber Hulks and most Minotaur's (not all of them).

Death spell (level 6 mage spell) or Cloudkill (if you don't mind taking some damage). Cloudkill will work but in its case they are given a -4 save vs death against it (so its not as likely to work compared to the Death Spell). Neither will work on Umber Hulk Elders however (though from the looks of things you aren't likely to run into those).

Otherwise there are many other status spells that will work. Keep in mind that Umber Hulks are immune to confusion (so don't cast for instance a Chaos spell or a Confusion spell on them). Minotaurs that you encounter in the game should generally be more susceptible to status causing spells than umber hulks.

• KhalKhal Member Posts: 53
    elminster said:

Keep in mind that Umber Hulks are immune to confusion (so don't cast for instance a Chaos spell or a Confusion spell on them). Minotaurs that you encounter in the game should generally be more susceptible to status causing spells than umber hulks.

What about fear? Are they immune to that?
    edited July 2014
    Fear should work. Though if you have Emotion:Hopelessness its probably a better choice because they won't be running around everywhere.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Khal said:

Umber Hulks. How do I kill them?

When I read "kill Umber Hulks" I just can't think about anything else other than Cloudkill. Just Cloudkill (including from the wand) and you'll be fine!
    Khal said:

What about fear? Are they immune to that?

Nope, not immune. But have decent saving throws so would probably save.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    just protect your frontliners' mind and then crush them, crush them to goo!
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited July 2014
    Minsc mad. Minsc smash. RARRGH!

But seriously, area of effect, raging Minsc, chaotic commands, all awesome suggestions!! :D
    Raging Minsc?
    (Although I can probably figure it out...)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    His Berserk ability. Makr sure your other characters are a distance away! He might attack them too.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Death spell. Wipes 'em clean. If your high enough a level to have a few chaotic commands, your Mage should be able to cast death spell once or twice. I'm not sure where you can find a scroll though.
    meagloth said:

Death spell. Wipes 'em clean. If your high enough a level to have a few chaotic commands, your Mage should be able to cast death spell once or twice. I'm not sure where you can find a scroll though.

Theoretically I may have one. Or one of my guys may know it (not sure which, but I remember seeing it somewhere)
    There were at least 5 of those guys there... a little worried just two times will not be enough
    edited July 2014
    Khal said:

meagloth said:

Theoretically I may have one. Or one of my guys may know it (not sure which, but I remember seeing it somewhere)
    There were at least 5 of those guys there... a little worried just two times will not be enough
    Its an area of effect spell so it shouldn't be too hard to kill them all. Also they have no defenses against it.
    Oh wow. Having never used it, or looked into it, had no idea how it worked. Interesting!
    Have to say that using Minsc's Berserk ability worked like a charm.
    Although forgot the advice to keep the rest of the party away and had some fun moments of having to run away from here. Until another batch of enemies was spotted anyway :)

Thanks guy!!
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    There's also a two-handed sword that protects the wielder from mind-altering effects. That can come in quite handy against Umber Hulks as well.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    My solution to most (non-mage) "how do I kill " is...

1) Greater Mallison
    2) Web
    3) Fireball/Skull Trap/Cloud Kill/Horrid Wilting

Is it efficient? Probably not... Does it kill Umber Hulks? Yes :)
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I'm all with Heindrich!

It might not be the most efficient but a Spell Trigger loaded with Web and 2 x Could Kill is just AWESOME. ;)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited July 2014
    Heindrich said:

My solution to most (non-mage) "how do I kill " is...

1) Greater Mallison
    2) Web
    3) Fireball/Skull Trap/Cloud Kill/Horrid Wilting

Is it efficient? Probably not... Does it kill Umber Hulks? Yes :)

I'd throw Web *before* GM… you've always a chance they'll fail to save anyway… And I find that if I do it the other way around, the Hulks are all up in my grill and such before the Webs hit.

Edit:
    Unless you're using two casters, of course...