Skip to content

Solo Poverty Monks? What Steps Are Required For Feasibility?

1235»

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I love all the discussion my thread has produced! No need to worry about going off-topic. This insanely difficult sounding Belhifet fight is making me interested in SoD, which is hilarious because I hate challenge.

@monico I've actually been wanting to do a solo run with a druid in IWD:EE and I think a totem druid seems like a fun choice.

@Grond0 You found it! That is indeed the guide I've been referring to. I suppose I assumed it was not as broad in focus as it appears, hence me not trying to find the section I referred to within it.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    edited June 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »
    The thing that I haven't tested is how much time passes during the cut-scene at the start of the battle with Belhifet.

IIRC it’s about 50 seconds. Almost 1 turn (which is more or less the duration of all the buffs you mentioned ?).

@Elrandir to be honest, with all the new items and lots of potions available in SoD, after tearing my hair apart trying to fight Belhifet solo in LoB, I find the final battle in normal gameplay almost easy... Well, unless I solo with a mage/sorcerer. I still haven’t managed to win that battle with spells (the only reliable method I can think of is using the Polymorph Self: Flind form).
    Short update for right now. I'll edit it later to add more details.

Important things from the stream:
    -We conquered Durlag's Tower. The fourth level was relatively easy.
    -The Demon Knight was a loser and went down more easily than I think I've ever experienced before.
    -Returning to Ulgoth's Beard, we dealt with the cult and Aec'latec. Aec killed us a couple times (not the dying effect of death gaze, but just the Hold Person effect), but he ended up being pretty easy overall. Area transition abuse was certainly used, however.
    Wow, even with reloads and mild cheese, I say that is pretty impressive ! I'll be sure to check out that video.
    Is it available on your YouTube channel ?
    Yes! There's also a highlight video of just the Demon Knight fight. I'll be making one for Aec'latec later, but I haven't had the time yet.
    edited July 2020
    @Elrandir I'm currently watching the vid ;)
    I see that you have been alerted about the somewhat shakiness of the video. I also noticed it and in the previous video, i'm sure it wasn't the case on the first video on youtube (haven't watched all of them, so I can't tell when it happened).
    edited July 2020
    @Elrandir congrats man, that was quite an epic fight against the cult & tanar'ri !

A few questions/suggestions:
    - could you start & end your videos by showing us your character sheet ? That way, we can follow the progress of your monk (I understand, from your base thac0 & +2 fists that you're lvl12 right now, which is at least 900k XP)
    - I was impressed seeing the Stunning Blow landing on the Demon Knight ! Do you (or anyone else here) know if he needs +1 or higher weapons to be hit (I'm wondering if a "normal" monk without XP cap removed could hope to take him on that way) ? Looking at the Demon Knight's page on the wiki did not give an answer to that (although it indicated that he uses a non-magical weapon, which would make the fight trivial for a poverty Totemic Druid's special summons I guess... and makes me want to roll one again and do exactly that haha)
    - In the final fight against Aec'Letec (which I haven't taken on in ages), you made clever use of hit&run tactics (although you could also have avoided aggroing Aec'Letec by luring him on one corner of the room before going back upstairs, and with your stealth could have just come back and taken on the cult guards without the Demon joining the fight). What surprises me though, is that the demon seems to never have used his Death Gaze on you (which I don't think you can protect from as a poverty monk), except maybe on the first round of the fight when you managed to save against his hold (which, if I understood the wiki correctly, comes hand in hand with his death gaze ability). Or am I missing something ?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The Demon Knight requires magical weapons to hit. His weapon is magical, so totemic summons would be vulnerable. Elemental summons, on the other hand, can tank his melee attacks indefinitely since it isn't a +2 weapon.
    On defense ... AC -2, saves 5/7/6/5/8. 85% resistance to magic and to each element, 10% resistance to physical damage. He's hard to immobilize; my last run dropped seven Webs on him and counted themselves lucky he was held in the second round. On the other hand ... stunning fist ignores magic resistance. Once a monk reaches level 9 for magic fists, it's a full 35% chance of stunning with each hit.

Without the XP cap removed, a monk can only reach level 8 in BGEE (before SoD), and thus can't even think about taking on a lot of these challenges alone.
    edited July 2020
    Once again, @jmerry saves the day ! Thanks a lot for those precisions !

About the non-magical fists of lvl8 monks, I feel that it might be a slight oversight implementing the monk into BG1EE (well, it is just the way it is, given that original BG2 made monk's fists magical weapon at lvl9, and in original BG1, there were no monks anyway). Regardless, it feels wrong (to me) that a monk cannot have magical fists in BG1.
    That's also why the wolf cape is so useful for monks in BG1.

Since the main storyline does not have any enemy that must be killed with magical weapons, it is not such a problem, and only poverty monks are barred from having access to magical attacks (but who in their right minds play poverty ^^), obviously, that's not a really big deal.

I guess if I was seriously considering making a relatively complete poverty playthrough of BG1 with a monk, I'd allow myself to either reach lvl9+, or use Relair's mistake (or any other magical weapon).

EDIT : about elemental summons from the druid: unless you raise the lvl cap or import from the Black Pits, you don't get lvl6 spells and the (awesome) Fire Elementals as a druid in BG:EE
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The lowest difficulty setting above Story Mode grants +6 to luck according to the in-game description. That amounts to another +6 THAC0 for a cleric trying to land a hit on Belhifet with Slay Living--important, since Slay Living doesn't get STR bonuses to hit.

With Holy Power (base THAC0 of 11), Sanctuary or stealth (-4), Aid (-1), Chant (-1), Bless (-1), and the Slay Living item itself (-3), your effective THAC0 would be 1 on Core difficulty, -5 on the easiest difficulty, -2 if you had SCS v32 or IWDification and therefore access to Prayer and Recitation, or -8 if you had IWD spells and were also on the easiest difficulty. That would make the hit chance range from about 50% to 80%, or 10% to 16% if you factor in Belhifet's saving throws, per casting of Slay Living. That's about a 19% to 29% total chance of success without reloads, or even higher if you're a cleric of Lathander or Tyr.

I believe you still have to kill Hephernaan, but Caelar can clean up for you.
    @monico Sure, I can show off the character sheet at the start and end.

As for the death gaze with Aec'latec, I did not appear to be given a save at all (judging by the lack of saving rolls in the chat) and, if held, could be considered immediately dead. The way I avoided it was running up the stairs right after he triggered the ability, but before it activated. That caused it to miss since I was upstairs, and he never tried it again after that. Was it dumb luck? Absolutely.
    I'm not streaming tonight. The simplest answer for why is that I don't want to. To give the excuses/reasons (depending on your point of view), it's the 4th of July eve in the southern United States. Fireworks are being launched often, my girlfriend is here, I barely slept last night, and it's about to be a national holiday. My apologies. I know I only streamed once this week, but hopefully things will normalize next week. I'll try and get the Aec'latec highlight vid uploaded tonight at least.

In the meantime, enjoy the Demon Knight fight highlight vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcHoK6TncPo
    edited July 2020
    The Aec'letec fight:
    https://youtu.be/qZ4EXVvASd4
    Well, we did it. We saved two dukes (Eltan and Belt). It was a low energy stream that got started late tonight, but we're nearly done.

Summary:
    -Paid to be smuggled in to the city. I don't think I've ever done this before, so it was a novelty.
    -Got arrested by the guards immediately and escaped shortly thereafter, thanks to chaotic evil gnome Neb.
    -Spoke to Tamoko twice.
    -Killed Cythandria. Easy. No deaths.
    -Killed the guards on the way to save Duke Eltan. Very irritating. 5+ guys spamming hold person required some running in and out of the building. Three or four deaths here.
    -Killed Slythe and Krystin. Shockingly easy. I had to reload once because Krystin never appeared or cast spells at all during or after my slaughter of Slythe.
    -Stopped the assassination of Duke Belt. Twice. The first time we had to reload after Sarevok killed us post-doppleganger fight. The second time we crushed the dopplegangers and Sarevok fled after leaving us with some nasty wounds. This makes me very concerned about the Sarevok fight next time, but oh well. Liia died both attempts and I didn't feel like trying to save her at the cost of my own sanity. Could we have saved both dukes? Maybe, but it's exceedingly unlikely. We just don't have enough manpower to distract all the dopplegangers.

Next time? The Thief Warrens. Or is it the Thieves' Maze? I dunno, but either way we'll try to finish the run next time. I'm worried about the Sarevok fight, but hopefully it'll go well.

Here's our character right after the fight at the palace:
    2k0uvf7gfkg8.png
    edited July 2020
    Why did you kill the Flaming Fist guards ? I mean, you're a monk so you can hide in shadows, plus from a RP point of view, you know you're wanted by the guards so sneaking around the city is logical.
    Or was it for the XP ?

About the coronation fight: yeah, that's quite difficult when playing solo, the dukes fall too easily and they are hard to protect.

EDIT : oh, after re-reading your post, I see you mean the flaming fists guards inside the building, not the patrols. You could still avoid that, but that makes also sense to just fight them too.
    edited July 2020
    Come one, come all! Tonight we try to finish the game! Will we succeed? Not a clue. But we will try! www.twitch.tv/caron_driel
    I'll be on in 5-15 minutes.
    WE DID IT! (More details and a video coming later)