Skip to content

Stupid question about my fan

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
I mean the fan that cooled down my PC until recently. He has stopped working on it's own and I, together with my roommate, think that it's dead for good. I don't know when I will have a new one, so until then I have a question.

Without working cooling system in my PC, can I still use graphical programs like photoshop/gimp without worrying about my PC going to overheat? And while I am well aware that newer PC games are of limits, what about older titles like, for example, Baldur's Gate?

My question might seem to be stupid, but I don't know when I will be buying a new fan. Since I'm total noob at computers, I don't think I could montage it without breaking anything in the progress.

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Surely there's more than one fan in your computer. There should be one on your CPU, one or several on your motherboard, at least one inside the PSU (hard or impossible to see probably), one on your graphics card and one or several on the computer casing probably. You do not want to use your computer if the motherboard and/or CPU doesn't have cooling. As for the rest, a simple solution for decreasing overall temperature is taking off the casing's side panels/walls. It will build up more dust that way though and naturally all kinds of things can make its way into the computer so if you have pets or children around that's not a very good solution.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    You could download a program that monitors your system temperature. There are a few free ones around, just Google "CPU temperature monitor". I've never used one, though, so I can't verify how well they work.

And yeah, as Silverstar said, which fan is it that's died? There are a few.

Also, did you post this from that same computer in which the fan died?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm afraid it's the main one that stopped working. Right now I'm cooling it down with a bigger fan that was supposed to relieve me in very warm days.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    In that case you'll want to avoid using your computer until it's replaced. Your temporary solution should be just that; temporary. It's not something you should dare to rely on.
    Well, I intend it to be temporary, until it's replaced. Anyway, thank you for your contribution. I guess I just have to limit my usage of my PC until everything is back to normal.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2014
    @ZelgadisGW‌ if you are using your computer with a broken fan then by all means download a temperature monitor. If your CPU gets above 110ºC shut down immediately unless you want a melted CPU to go along with your broken fan...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    @mlnevese‌ I did downloaded it, for now the temperature never get past 60ºC (but it was probably that I didn't do anything too taxing). But thank you anyways.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Is it a fan that's installed on your case or one that's installed on a component heatsink?
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited September 2014
    @ZelgadisGW Major plot twist ahahahah

A good example of evil behind prejudice.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited September 2014
    i wouldn't do that if i were you.
    i remember seeing an alternative way to cool your computer somewhere, can't remember where though..

edit: quick google search:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/tp/pc_cooling.htm
    http://www.newegg.com/Water-Liquid-Cooling/SubCategory/ID-575 (water cooling.. don't know if you can diy it, but if so, that looks like it could work)
    The motherboards in this generation should have auto-kill if the heat goes above ideal limits , though it is a fuse rather than a reliance , so don't count on this.

I do not recommend removing panels , and changing fans on ATX's whether even it is on the processing unit or not , should be fairly easy. Try hunting down some fans for their Watt rates , and change the PSU if it is necessary. Technicians will charge you for this , so if it is not about money then you have no problem in the first place.

It might be funny but I used to mount my laptop atop a ventilator back in the days , and it cooled pretty well. :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Every time I look at the thread title, I think that @ZelgadisGW‌ has his own fan i.e. a supporter, a follower. I actually came to this thread expecting to find a story about how @ZelgadisGW‌ has got his personal fan.
    @bengoshi

@ZelgadisGW Major plot twist ahahahah

A good example of evil behind prejudice.

We are a bunch of prejudists , you and I :)

This issue is not up to date anymore.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @ZelgadisGW‌ Welcome to forum necromancy :)
    @mlnevese‌ Indeed.