Skip to content

Unloved NPCs

dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
I was thinking about this the other day. Which NPC do you like that seems to be unloved throughout the interwebs?

Personally, I took Quayle and Garrick through my first playthrough, because I found Quayle humorous and useful, and I liked Garrick's care-free attitude (and I have a thing for bards).

EDIT: To broaden the question, who do you think everybody else seems to hate that shouldn't be?
Post edited by dockaboomski on

Comments

• TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    Viconia.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I quite like Faldorn and no one seems to like her

Alora never used to seem that popular and shes my fav in bg1, although these days she seems a little more popular
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited July 2014
    BG1: Garrick (followed by Khalid probably)
    BG2: Cernd
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    alora is pretty awesome, especially now with her rabbits foot cranking up her abilities and things, im pretty sure in the original it just only give her +10 points in her thief skillz, but now if gives her a whole bunch of jargon, plus she is pretty good with a bow not as great as coran but not to shabby either
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Someone I don't "like" in the sense of considering him a nice guy is Eldoth. He 's a smug manipulator, very good RP-material.

I also like the already mentioned Faldorn, Garrick, Quayle and Khalid, though I would have prefered to have wise, softspoken BG2-Quayle in BG1.

In BG2 I like Cernd, Valygar, Anomen and Mazzy a lot. The latter three are almost always in my party instead of more fancied NPCs such as Jaheira, Keldorn, and Minsc.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited July 2014
    Eldoth
    Safana
    Anomen
    Cernd
    And poor Khalid
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    TIAX RULES ALL!

No, but really, Skie (because she's so hard to get and you have to get Eldoth; further, who wants to work that hard for a thief when you have Imoen and Safana? If memory serves me, she's pretty annoying too. I imagine she's pretty much the bad aspect of True Neutral).

BGII - Cernd is the easy choice.
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    I've used particular characters for so long that it's incredibly difficult for me to try someone different. Even though I've been playing BG since it first came out, none of these NPCs have ever been in my party: Ajantis, Alora, Coran, Yeslick, Faldorn, Garrick, Quayle, Safana, Sky, Edwin, Eldoth, Kagain, Montaron, Tiax, Viconia and Xzar. (From most of the names on that list, you can probably guess that I really suck at being evil.)

Based on what I know about them, I'd probably say Alora and Quayle would be the two I would never want to take, primarily because I've heard their voice sets and think that they're incredibly annoying.

I'm very tempted to try a run-through, similar to one I saw posted here on the forum, in which I just let people die if it happens, and pick up others along the way if resurrection is not feasible.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited July 2014
    I'm too mainstream. I love all the "classic" character. Minsc, Xzar, the 'Vok, etc. etc.

I guess if I'm choosing people who aren't popular then the one that immediately springs to mind is Khalid, who I absolutely adore. I also love Imoen, who I thought wasn't disliked (apart from her greeting) but apparently no one is a fan around here. I appreciate Dynaheir, though she seems less developed. Alora's a sweetie, though I've never used her. Safana is amusing, albeit not a character I like too much. I love Kagain, who doesn't seem to have a following. Monty is relatively well liked, but you don't hear about him as much as his zany partner and I love them both.

Edit: And I was reminded by @Ravenslight‌ that I absolutely adore Yeslick. And Yoshimo. Other than Yoshimo, I actually don't care much about the less popular BG2 characters. I just don't find them terribly interesting.

So yeah... I like most of the characters to be honest.
    Post edited by Elrandir on
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    There are very few NPCs that I dislike and I must admit that I enjoy the quest of "rescuing" Skie and her character in general (Eldoth is fine too). Montaron is by far my favourite NPC (damn you BG2!), but if I were to list the most unloved NPCs, probably the most/all that are in Baldur's Gate city would be on the list. You can't meet them early and their stats are average. Though it is quite refreshing to play with those characters and I tend to do that more recently.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Anomen
    Khalid
    Yeslick
    Yoshimo Darn it, I really liked that guy. If only…
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    BG1 - My favorite BG1 NPC has always been, and will forever be, Kivan. He is not only a beast to have in the party, but is by far the biggest badass by miles in my opinion. I'm not sure how popular he is, but he's way above everyone else personally.

BG2 - Aside from the usual, I'm fond of Valygar and Haer'dalis. But I genuinely like all the NPCs, because they've all got defining and memorable characters.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    I have the feeling I'm the only one who likes Xan , he can't use evocation spells but in bg1 , they aren't that necessary. I'd rather have hold or sleep than any magic missle or lighting in low level bg1
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    I guess I like Nalia more than a lot of people do. She's a bit of a pill, but she doesn't annoy me terribly. She's young and means well, she just needs real world experience (which she's sure to get hanging around with Charname!) I think she'll be quite the force of good when she grows up.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440

BG1 - My favorite BG1 NPC has always been, and will forever be, Kivan. He is not only a beast to have in the party, but is by far the biggest badass by miles in my opinion. I'm not sure how popular he is, but he's way above everyone else personally.

BG2 - Aside from the usual, I'm fond of Valygar and Haer'dalis. But I genuinely like all the NPCs, because they've all got defining and memorable characters.

I always liked both of them, I think Haer'dalis is interesting and I like Valygar's tragic side.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Xavioria said:

I think the way she died in the second game was a disgrace and is one of the few things I heavily disagree with, BUT; life must go on! :)

I have a similar feeling for Xzar. And Monty. And Tiax.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I like Kagain a fair bit, very nice tank with the Gauntlets. He is a bit entertaining, stereotypical greedy dwarf.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Xavioria said:

I think the way she died in the second game was a disgrace and is one of the few things I heavily disagree with, BUT; life must go on! :)

I have a similar feeling for Xzar. And Monty. And Tiax.
    This, this, and this.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Firstly, ALL of the NPCs in both games are perfectly usable characters, capable of being very effective members of your party, although in some cases the way to use them is more obvious than in other cases. Comments such as " is useless!" are merely childish whining by people who haven't figured out how to use effectively ... but there are a lot of these silly opinions around, even in apparently-serious guides.

Secondly, I have a role for every single one of them in some party or other which I've either played already (in most cases) or intend to play (in a couple of cases). Which NPCs I "like" for that party depends upon who my protagonist is and what mix of skills and personalities I want to take along for that run.

Addressing the OP's question, I've become quite a fan of Cernd since I finally (quite recently) got around to ignoring all the anti-Cernd opinions on the Web and actually gave him a proper run, right through to the end of ToB. He's really quite an interesting and powerful NPC, yet certainly there are a lot of negative comments about him on the Web.

As a BG1(ee) example, I've found Garrick much better than some people on the Web would have you believe.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I've used Gharrik, he's not terrible with a ranged weapon and some spells, and later becomes super useful as a pickpocket.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited July 2014
    Another unloved one would probably be Yeslick. Just because in the original if you rejected him you'd never see him again. Same situation if you flood the mines while he is in it. Plus he starts out with no items. Not exactly great gear even if you are on your way out of the mines (in case you get ambushed by wyverns for instance when moving between areas on the world map). Finally (though this was fixed in subsequent fan patches) he used to have a dialogue issue where he wouldn't shut up.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    BG1 - Quayle

BG2 - Nalia
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477

Viconia.

Hey, My charname is romancing her, so don't worry ;)
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    CrevsDaak said:

All of the NPCs.

*realizes the sudden look everyone is giving him*

What? Did none of you ever play solo?

you'll go blind, Crevs....