Skip to content

Should waiters be tipped?

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
This discussion was created from comments split from: The thread for happiness/spreading your joy.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    jackjack said:

Haha! I used to wait tables and I found that anything exotic greatly increased my tips. Hence, Blue contacts. I ditched them at the same time as my last serving job.

It's quite startling. On that subject, according to scientist and smart people you-with-blue-eyes should dye your hair blonde and get a big rack:)
    http://freakonomics.com/2013/06/03/should-tipping-be-banned-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/
    I post the link not only because it's very interesting, but because it's a issue very near and dear to my heart at the moment.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'm not sure if that article is supposed to be serious or not but the answer is no, lol

I'm not sure if that article is supposed to be serious or not but the answer is no, lol

Did you actually listen to the podcast? I actually think it should be, at least in most areas.
    No, I didn't. It's over half an hour. However, I'm assuming these arguments mentioned in the article are the main arguments of the podcast, and they seem more ludicrous than convincing to me.

No, I didn't. It's over half an hour. However, I'm assuming these arguments mentioned in the article are the main arguments of the podcast, and they seem more ludicrous than convincing to me.

Well, basically it's(the people advocating the abolition of tipping) saying that waiters should just make minimum wage like everybody else, instead of the maybe or maybe not minimum wage that tipped jobs make. Also, there's a separate minimum wage for tipped jobs. $2.13 an hour. The rest is supposed to be made up by tips.
    http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
    And some restaurants already do this. They don't accept tips, and pay the waiters minimum wage or higher. They're doing fine. http://www.vox.com/2014/7/17/5888347/one-more-case-against-tipping
    And of you think about it, tipping doesn't make sense in the first place. Why do we even have it? So workers get payed based on the quality of the service? Like that has any play in how much someone get tipped. And even if that was the case, why do so few jobs get tipped?
    I would also recommend you actually listen to the podcast. I don't think the summery on the page is very representative of the actual information in the podcast, and I can't say I'm a fan of the way the website looks, but it's really quite interesting, I promise. It's more just about tipping than it is a case against tipping.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Ummm, I was a waiter for over a year. Whether or not tipping SHOULD be the societal norm is irrelevant to the fact that it is. And in that job you couldn't survive without it. It's a really feast or famine existence. And let me also add that the entire staff of the restaurant is going to rip you to shreds verbally after you leave if you don't leave a tip. It's not forgotten and it is taken into account in the future. I'm just laying out the facts as they exist in the real world. You will be pariah to the restaurant staff if you ever come back.
    I wouldn't mind seeing waiters paid more. However, that would drive up the costs of restaurants, which I wouldn't like. Even so, banning tipping is silly.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    One word answer: yes. Longer answer: Yes, the waiters and waitresses need the money to survive, especially here in the US where they get paid a measly $2.13 an hour compared to about $10 an hour for a non-tipped job. Read "Waiter Rant" by Steve Dublanica if you need more information.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Depends where I am in terms of country/culture and quality of establishment. I'm British and we don't have the same tipping culture as the US, and there's no lower minimum wage for waiting staff. I don't really expect much from a waiter and I don't tip that much in general, just what I think is fair. I probably earn less than the waiter working longer hours, so I'm not especially bothered about what they think is fair.

It really depends where the deficit in waiters' wages is going. Is the lower minimum wage resulting in the restaurant being able to charge less for food, or is it just making it's profit margins wider? I expect a bit of both but more likely the latter. If that's the case then employees should take it up with their employers not bitch about undertipping customers.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Waiters shouldnt be tipped and they shouldnt be paid minimum wages. Once you start tipping everyone the cafe-owners have a reason to lower/minimize the waiters' wages. Tipping should only occur in very special/extraordinary sircumstances.

Also, it is simply uneccessary that you always have to calculate tips and in many places waiters will only get the tip if you give it as cash (which at least I seldom have).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited July 2014
    In the U.S., the IRS audits servers who don't declare at least a 10-12% tipping rate. If a restaurant patron leaves less than that, they're actually taking money out of the server's pocket.
    Edit: This only applies to restaurants with table service. I don't know anyone who tips fast food employees, who are nevertheless underpaid at $7-something per hour.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited July 2014
    Agreed. Though, to be fair, while they sell the idea of trickle-down, I doubt many of them actually believe it will. It's been 30+ years and it hasn't so far. It's gone in the opposite direction. Economics is a science, and this is nothing more than a disproven hypothesis. They just want to keep that money for themselves and systematically wipe out the middle class.
    I don't tip at McD/similar because there are no waiters, just angry teens.
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    If the food and service is good yes. If not then no. Last time i went out to eat i tipped the waiter about 10$ for the meal. Lol i remember when my buddy took the mayors order and was tipped 100$.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Getting political here for a moment, I believe that raising the minimum wage (the standard, not specifically waiting minimum wage) does adversely affect employment. However, I also think that the trickle down method is stupid. It doesn't even sound effective.

Getting back on topic, I've heard that in Japan tips are happily excepted, but not the norm. Unlike in Sweden, apparently. I don't honestly understand why servers in Sweden would think you're a schmuck for that. I know, cultural differences and all, but you're getting paid more. Why're you complaining?
    Elrandir said:

Getting back on topic, I've heard that in Japan tips are happily excepted, but not the norm. Unlike in Sweden, apparently. I don't honestly understand why servers in Sweden would think you're a schmuck for that. I know, cultural differences and all, but you're getting paid more. Why're you complaining?

I think if I was working a job were I got paid a living wage and tipping was not the norm, and some ignorant traveler can in and still tipped me on top of that I would call them a schmuck and laugh behind their back.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Seems two questions are being discussed at once. I'll offer my answer to both, should tipping be banned? Yeah why not. Economically the whole idea is, at best, pointless.
    Should waiters be tipped? In a tipping culture of course.
    Anyone else thinking of Reservoir Dogs?
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    meagloth said:

Elrandir said:

I think if I was working a job were I got paid a living wage and tipping was not the norm, and some ignorant traveler can in and still tipped me on top of that I would call them a schmuck and laugh behind their back.
    I'd just be grateful for the extra dough, but whatever.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    TheElf said:

Seems two questions are being discussed at once. I'll offer my answer to both, should tipping be banned? Yeah why not. Economically the whole idea is, at best, pointless.
    Should waiters be tipped? In a tipping culture of course.
    Anyone else thinking of Reservoir Dogs?

Reservoir Dogs dogs is the template for all later tipping conversations. Most of the arguments are ones we've heard in this thread too. Add in the Steve Buscemi makes a great antagonistic git and you've got a classic.

We're in danger of spilling over into the Politics thread with discussions of the minimum wage, but here seems as good a place as any to discuss it. It does seem to go hand-in-hand with other aspects of social support and welfare.
    I don't understand why we can't just set a minimum wage that auto-adjusts for inflation and leave it alone.

I don't tip at McD/similar because there are no waiters, just angry teens.

Nobody tips them, and they make at least federal minimum wage($7.30 or something)
    jackjack said:

Agreed. Though, to be fair, while they sell the idea of trickle-down, I doubt many of them actually believe it will. It's been 30+ years and it hasn't so far. It's gone in the opposite direction. Economics is a science, and this is nothing more than a disproven hypothesis. They just want to keep that money for themselves and systematically wipe out the middle class.

Yes. I must have missed this one. Trickle-down is bad economics at best, lies and propaganda by the rich to keep them on top at worst.