Skip to content

Should waiters be tipped?

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited July 2014
    I can only speak for how things are in the US (and for everyone saying so, of COURSE our economic and worker situation is messed up, it's borderline criminal, but realize it's what we are working with over here). In any sit-down restaurant where a waiter/waitress takes your order, refills you beverages, and takes care of your meal, it is considered a fairly serious insult to not tip someone. Workers aren't even making gas money off their wage in alot of cases. A dollar or two is the BARE minimum that would be considered socially acceptable and depending on the size of the bill that would also be viewed as insulting in some cases. 10-15% is pretty good in most cases, at 20% and above you are feeling great about it. Again, I did this work for over a year and some days I walked home with $10, and some with over $150. It's stressful to say the least if you rely on it for your livelihood.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    elminster said:

There was a blotch on my screen near the i in the title (and I didn't really consider the s). Anyways, it looked like it was asking if Walter should be tipped. My answer to that would be no. I don't think I like this Walter fellow :D

Hey! My Friends name is Walters!(and he always gets better tips than I do.)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited July 2014
    TJ_Hooker said:

Where I live, servers receive at least minimum wage, but you're still expected to tip a decent amount (I think 15% is pretty common). Now I used to work in a restaurant, but as a cook. There was no categorical difference between the wages of servers and cooks. I never understood why servers deserved to earn more than us. A lot of people might say "because they have to deal with customers", but I would counter that that is part and parcel of the job. It'd be like a cook expecting a little bonus for each table they fed, on top of their wages. Not to mention all the jobs that require dealing with customers that don't get tips.

I know a lot of places pool the tips and redistribute it to include the kitchen staff. Hopefully in that system if there are bad servers, they would get yelled at by their coworkers.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Elrandir said:

Getting political here for a moment, I believe that raising the minimum wage (the standard, not specifically waiting minimum wage) does adversely affect employment. However, I also think that the trickle down method is stupid. It doesn't even sound effective.

Getting back on topic, I've heard that in Japan tips are happily excepted, but not the norm. Unlike in Sweden, apparently. I don't honestly understand why servers in Sweden would think you're a schmuck for that. I know, cultural differences and all, but you're getting paid more. Why're you complaining?

I said some would laugh about it. It's a lot likelier people would just get offended (allthough they might accept it anyway out of politeness) - we generally don't like handouts and don't appreciate people making us feel like we're beggars.

The people who laugh st others behind their backs are obviously rude dicks, but it's what you can expects from some people. You aren't doing them any favours, and they basically see it as having tricked you.

But again, my experience in the field isn't the biggest. I haven't worked in it myself, just hung out with people who do.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Waiters should be tipped, but only if they behave properly. I mean, a bad-mannered, foul-mood, ill-tempered individual, who treats you not as a customer but as a burden instead, however bad/unlucky his affairs are, and even if other people are to blame for this (like his/her employer...), does not deserve any extra. It is not that hard to smile at, welcome, treat nicely other people, even if it might not be genuine, but as an obligation of your work, or rules of workplace. Customers can be angry or sad themselves, and if a waiter/waitress is kind and reassuring to them, they can even feel better, more relaxed, and consider even staying some more and buying more stuff.

I tip, usually. But only when they do not help ruin my mood further. Bad quality food/drink/service i can forgive, but never ugly manners.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Absolutely agree. There's no excuse for poor service. If a waiter pulls that kind of crap, they should count themselves lucky if they're still employed at the end of their shift.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    First. Minimum wage in Britain is to be boosted to £8 so $13 dollars per hour. So in a quiet pub. Carrying the platter without dropping it may be the only thing they will be asked to do. Also a busy pub may have waiters rushing around like olympian sprinters.

Also in Britain, tips can be collected by the company and kept by the company.

Giving tips in Blighty follow these rules.

1. Judge. Do they deserve it? Crud service = no tip. Maybe food was late, but they still kept you in the loop and the drinks flowing. Or entertained the little gnome... Indifference normally leads to no tip.

2. Ask if they get to keep there tips. You will get some interesting answers here. A tip box is actually quite common, where all the tips are collected and split to all staff, including minor kitchen staff. Another surprising one is "Oh. It's included in the bill" If you hear these words, they are obliged to remove it if you ask. And yes, they can do it, as long as it is clearly written on the bill. I always have them take it off, then tip. Charged tips go to the company in most cases.

3. Tip 10% Anymore is seen as extravagant. Any less quite pointless. Always tip in cash. Even if you have paid for the meal on the card. Tip using a card usually means the company gets the money and not the waiter person.

I actually teach kids to do this... If there is a reasonable step I have missed let me know.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    elminster said:

Awong124 said:

Tipping is a good system on the chance that you actually get abnormally bad service. One time I had service that was so bad that I left a penny for the tip. I wanted the server to know without a doubt that I didn't simply forget the tip.

Recently I was at a restaurant and the waiter came to me with the bill. Apparently they had increased the prices (at least on the things I had happened to have just eaten) by 25%. They just had done this just that day, but hadn't replaced the menus (which still had the old prices on them). Anyways, I had waited at this place for about 15 minutes for a friend before even ordering. Between that and the hour or so we spent in the restaurant you'd think he would come over and informed us of this price increase. Nope. He claimed he "forgot" but there were only like maybe 5 other tables that were occupied at all during this period. Anyways if he had just forgot that would have honestly been one thing, but we ended up having to argue to him for probably a good three to four minutes that it was unreasonable to expect us to pay this increase (and he honestly stood there unsure of what to do and came across as expecting us to just suck it up and pay). Needless to say he didn't get a good tip.
    This is actually illigal in Canada. I would of told them to call the cops and have the restaurant charged with fraud when they arrived.

And always tip in North America. Think of it as you paying for the service the person is providing. 5-10% for lousy service 12-15% for good service. 15-20% for great service. 25+ if they something extraordinary for you.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    In the US, I only tip less than 20% if the service was truly lousy. I would rather that gratuity be built into the server's wages, though; there's something about obligatory tips that makes me feel like I'm holding someone's fate in my wallet, which makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to end my meal by assessing the server's manners; at the end of the meal I want to pay my bill and leave.

Some people might enjoy leaving a good tip; to me, it's an extra step that detracts from my dining experience. When my wife and I traveled in Italy for our honeymoon, tips weren't expected in the same way they are in the US. And eating at a restaurant was always much more pleasant as a result.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    deltago said:

elminster said:

Awong124 said:

Tipping is a good system on the chance that you actually get abnormally bad service. One time I had service that was so bad that I left a penny for the tip. I wanted the server to know without a doubt that I didn't simply forget the tip.

Recently I was at a restaurant and the waiter came to me with the bill. Apparently they had increased the prices (at least on the things I had happened to have just eaten) by 25%. They just had done this just that day, but hadn't replaced the menus (which still had the old prices on them). Anyways, I had waited at this place for about 15 minutes for a friend before even ordering. Between that and the hour or so we spent in the restaurant you'd think he would come over and informed us of this price increase. Nope. He claimed he "forgot" but there were only like maybe 5 other tables that were occupied at all during this period. Anyways if he had just forgot that would have honestly been one thing, but we ended up having to argue to him for probably a good three to four minutes that it was unreasonable to expect us to pay this increase (and he honestly stood there unsure of what to do and came across as expecting us to just suck it up and pay). Needless to say he didn't get a good tip.
    This is actually illigal in Canada. I would of told them to call the cops and have the restaurant charged with fraud when they arrived.

And always tip in North America. Think of it as you paying for the service the person is providing. 5-10% for lousy service 12-15% for good service. 15-20% for great service. 25+ if they something extraordinary for you.
    I believe our tip was a $1 on what ended up being a $33 bill. I can live with it. The particular bar was called Pauper's Pub (its near Bathurst and Bloor) and I just won't ever go back there again.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I give 17% tip as a standard because I like being nicer than 15%, but am too poor to do 20% everywhere. That said, one place I (usually) tip 50%+ is waffle house. The staff is always so friendly and I just always feel really generous when there. Besides, my average ticket is, like, $10. It's not exactly breaking the bank to leave a good tip on that.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited October 2014
    As far as tipping is concerned, I usually give as much as I can (usually around 20%).

From what I understand it is a cultural differences. Here in the States if you don't give you are considered a Bad Person. I would usually agree with this sentiment. It is expected, and if you don't your friends and colleagues might look down on you. I know that people in my groups of friends keep track of who is a good tipper and who isn't.

Yet when I go abroad, however, it is almost never expected. When I was in Oxford I tried to leave a tip and it was returned to me as change :/. When I left one in Paris the waiter seemed to be very surprised and quite happy/thankful. I have visited Greece a billion times yet have never left a tip. I guess its is just a different way of doing things.

Also, Americans happen to also be the most generous apparently: http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/11/which-is-the-worlds-most-generous-nation/

AMERICA.... f@$# yeah! :P
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I doubt the Europeans know about it, but has anyone else in the U.S. heard about Seattle's minimum wage increase? It all started when the workers at the Seattle-Tacoma (Sea-Tac) airport got their wages bumped up to 15 dollars an hour; now the rest of the city is following suit. And as far as I understand, it's for a lot of entry-level jobs, from retail workers to waiters to fast-food servers and more.

You can read more about it here, and about the lawsuit that's been filed against the city here.

I, for one, would like to see a minimum wage increase (I mean, who wouldn't, right?), but I do think that 15 dollars an hour is way too much. Still, it'll be interesting to see what happens, if it doesn't get shut down from the lawsuit. (I've heard no update about this suit, and it was filed over the summer. Stuff takes time, yatta yatta.)
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I, personally, don't think it should be expected, or required, of the customer, to the extent that it is in the US. I certainly wouldn't want to ban it, but I don't like the idea that it's seen as an automatic thing, and that they expect it off you no matter what, either.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    edited October 2014
    Ha, I must say it's quite odd to hear arguments that $15 an hour is too much. Mind you, I'm pretty sure that Australia has one of the most generous minimum wages in the world from what I've gathered. For an entry level waiter (adult) in a full time position, the minimum hourly wage is $17.35 or thereabouts, plus conditions such as sick leave, etc...for casual staff there's a loading of 25% which brings the minimum to over $21 an hour... Yeah our dollar is lower then the US $ but that's still a substantial increase on wages...which explains why tipping is largely non-existent here...sure most places have a tip jar, but it's by no means expected and sometimes actively discouraged by businesses. Mind you, the cost of eating out is far, far more expensive here that in most places as well. Plus, of course, Aussies are notorious impolite tightarses, so we don't tip! ;-)

but anyway, all that killer wildlife is what we pay a premium for, it's a privilege to be living in danger from exotic death, you know!

well, the presence of a fine Yeti such as yourself is certainly worth the markup
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Ha, my thanks, noble hamster, very kind of you to say.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @booinyoureyes‌ You mean F = ma not mv ;) Generally F = d/dt P = d/dt (mv), which may be what you were thinking. (also, your description of diffusion is weird, but you probably mean the right thing)

As for economics, some aspects of it are hard science, but others aren't at all. It is indeed important to understand this.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    tipping is a social norm. it's an integral part of what it means to go to an establishment and be served.
    wanting to be served and not being prepared to tip is basically cheating this code and it's rightly looked upon as disgraceful.

if you think the norm makes no sense, change it by opening yourself a restaurant or cafe that works on a different basis. other than that, you must follow the unwritten rules of civilized conduct if you don't want to be seen as a douche.

...and that's precisely what the word *should* means. if you don't care about the above, then the question "should i do this" (= "is this socially acceptable?") doesn't pertain.
    another, reasonable, question might be: "should i care about being a douche in this instance"

but if you want to both behave in a douchy way and believe you are doing what you *should* then you are in a contradiction.

You mean F = ma not mv ;) Generally F = d/dt P = d/dt (mv),

Facepalm. Physics was always my Achilles heel, along with technology.