Skip to content

Icewind Dale Discussion Forum?

MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
Anyone know what the best forums are to discuss Icewind Dale strategy and gameplay? If the best place to talk about the game is here on the BG forums that's fine, I was just wondering if there was another forum that was more dedicated to the series. I really would like to discuss game play strategy the way you guys discuss the BG series such as race and class combo's, weapons, tactics and stuff like that. Thanks guys.
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    Just realized IWD in BG2 mod is NOT compatible with the Enchanced Editions. >.<
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    jackjack said:

Of course, that will change when if they release Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition and/or Icewind Dale 3.

If they do, I beg them to use both the old loot tables and the less punishing mage school restrictions pre-HOW.

1) Buy BG2 on GOG
    2) Install IWD-in-BG2
    3) Discuss it in the IWD-in-BG2 forum.

That's what I plan to do, anyway, when I have done free time (i.e. ~2016)

Pity sometimes it's bugged. I remember using one of those BG2 as IWD style games and every time I was in fullscreen it was upside down.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Moved to the off-topic section. Carry on.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    jackjack said:

Icewind Dale 3.

I'd like IWD3! :D
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Come to think of it, I never knew what happened to the Icewind Dale region in either 4th or 5th edition... Are the frozen wastes still as cool as before? And did Drizzt bite the dust for good? Depending on what WotC did to my favourite biome in Faerûn, I may not want to see a sequel at all. :(
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Weird.
    The day before yesterday I started thinking of playing IWD again for the first time since sometime in the 1990s.
    Yesterday I came across this thread.
    Today an e-mail arrived from Amazon promoting IWD, so I ordered it.
    Tomorrow it should arrive and I'll start rolling.
    Right now I'm looking forward to this thread growing and hopefully being able to contribute to it (albeit as a comparative newbie).
    @Tresset Thanks for putting this thread in its correct home. :b

@dunbar Thats is totally freaking awesome man! Maybe we can both do a playthrough at the same time so maybe we can help eachother out and give tips along the way. Its an amazing game and believe me, you will not regret rebuying it.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    So now there are 2 threads... okay.

forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/33498/icewind-dale

Regardless, I feel comfortable with IWD strategy and I'll say this: bring a gnome! Besides having the best multiclasses, they and halflings get the best helmet and you can get it early if you manage your money intelligently.
    Guys, I have a question that I have been wondering about and cannot find any good information about it online.

I have found statless armor items in the game. Items like "Girdle" and "Bracers". They have no AC or stats at all. What is the purpose of these items? Are they just for roleplaying/aesthetics?

If anyone has any opinions or info on that, I do appreciate it. Thanks guys.
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    They're vendor trash, just good for selling or throwing away.
    edited August 2014
    Guy's I am having some trouble. If anyone remembers the fight in chapter 1 of Icewind Dale, where you go to Dragon's Eye I could use some pointers here.

I am at the part where you run into 3 Talonite Priests and about 6-7 Trolls. Needless to say, the whole game up until now has been a breeze and now I have finally run into a fight that is giving me a lot of trouble. I have reloaded a good few times already and need to come up with a better plan.

My party is:

Lvl. 8 Human Druid
    Lvl. 7 Dwarf Fighter
    Lvl 6. Half Elf Cleric/Mage

I tried to see if I could pull the pack apart but apparently I didn't save in a while and my last save was a while back, so it seems I am stuck with the whole group coming after me.

My strategy is to run since the priests outrun the trolls at first. The first one I cast hold person on with my cleric/mage, but the other 2 priests show up before the next round and I can't ever get silence 15' off in time and I ALWAYS end up getting my fighter or druid held. By that point I am surrounded by a large group of trolls and dealing with them all at the same time can be punishing. It is hard for my fighter to get aggro on all the trolls, so my casters keep getting their spells interrupted.

If anyone has any ideas on what spells or tactics I could be employing that would make this fight a bit easier, I would greatly appreciate it. These Talonite priests are kicking my ass and the group of angry trolls are not helping.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any advice on the topic. Have a great day guys.
    Post edited by Meanbunny on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    When* - ahm, if* - Beamdog release a statement they're working/going to work on IWDEE, I think a new subforum will appear here.

What concerns me more, is how the discussions about Pillars of Eternity will go. It's evident that as soon as this game is released, one single topic in the Off-Topic section will not be enough for us. I expect many new threads, e.g. "NPCs in PoE", "How to use custom portraits for PoE", "[name of an NPC] is OP", "[name of an item is OP", "this game is awesome", "my concerns regarding PoE" and so on and on.

And I think that so many threads about PoE in the Off-Topic section will completely mix that section. But I think we, BG fans who will play PoE, would still like to discuss PoE on this forum rather than move for such discussions on other sites.

So, is there any possibility we'll have a subforum for Pillars of Eternity as soon as it's released? What are your thoughts, ladies and gentlebeholders:)?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Divinity Original Sin didn't need one. I don't see why Pillars of Eternity would.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We won't be creating subforums for any games that we ourselves did not develop. The Off-Topic section here is designed to handle those non-BG discussions, and so far it has served quite nicely. :)
    I haven't reloaded my IWD save in a while due to having other stuff to do recently. If anyone is familiar with the Talonite priest fight I am referring to in my above post and has any tips for my party and situation, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.
    edited September 2014
    Edit: I just realized this thread is kind of pre-IWD:EE material so I will create a new thread to ask my IWD questions in the new sub-forum. Thanks guys, go check out my other thread if you would like.