Skip to content

BG1 vs BG2

SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
While the result is pretty obvious, I would like to see the actual numbers how our community is divided.

1. 32% (51 votes)
2. 40% (62 votes)
3. 3% (5 votes)
4. 23% (37 votes)
  1. BG1 vs BG2159 votes
    1. I first played BG1 and I think BG1 is a better game
      33.33%
    2. I first played BG1 and I think BG2 is a better game
      39.62%
    3. I first played BG2 and I think BG1 is a better game
        3.14%
    4. I first played BG2 and I think BG2 is a better game
      23.90%
Post edited by Sliceofhell on

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Huh. Didn't see that coming. image
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    edited July 2014
    I prefer the art and style of BG1 far and away beyond BG2's. It's not to say there are no gems in BG2, especially in Throne of Bhaal, but that and the greater open world feel of BG1 were massive influences on me.

Though truth be told it might just be because while I might start dozens, if not hundreds of characters I've only completed the game 4 times, and maybe 2 of those times were Candlekeep-to-Throne runs. >_> For whatever reason though I always strategize the character with the base assumption it will hit Throne of Bhaal (and thus wait to dual-class, etc.).
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I much prefer the art in BG2 - those mosaics get me every time. I also prefer the wide ranging quests in and around Athkatla. I like the idea that you have to have some idea of why you are going to a place instead of just wandering about. And I love the music - it isn't just me, hubby says he loves the music too (although we both like IWD music the most).
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I'm always a little worried to say something in this type of polls, because they tend to divide people. So, BG1 is superior by far in my opinion, more believable world, more consistent style (art, areas etc.), has greater sense of discovery and replay value, more freedom in exploring and choosing party members. BG1 feels less like a story and more like an experience, a bit of a stretch maybe, but compare 'choose your own adventure' to a traditional narrative. BG2 isn't bad, it's just weird to me i.e. compare Edwin portrait, in BG2 he looks lika a christmas tree with all this silly "stuff" (nose ring? with chain? what?). If I want some weird and crazy stuff I'd rather play PS:T.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I dunno, I first played BG not long after it was released and it will always have an amazingly special place in my heart. I was very young at the time and it's the first real game I played. It has an amazing scale for the time, even though it's something of an illusion. There really isn't that much in a lot of those dozens of areas you can explore and it would strongly benefit from some random creature generation. That being said, it's nice to have the freedom to wander the world from the start as you see fit. I also like the beautiful non scaled leveling. I got slaughtered SO many times in my early days aimlessly wandering the wilderness! :)

BG2 shows a much better designed and executed story in my humble opinion. It's a lot more focused, the areas are of much higher quality and it guides you along the story line the devs wanted without TO much force. You can still wander and do side quests as you like but the world feels a lot smaller and lesser scale wise then BG1 did. I was a little annoyed sometimes when it literally RAINS +3 and +4 enchanted items and massively powerful armour at every opportunity. That being said, difficulty had to scale.

This is a really difficult choice for me, really difficult indeed! But I think, on the whole, I enjoy BG2 a TEENY bit more then BG1.

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    BG1 ended too soon. It needs expanding. More wilderness areas, caves and possibly a castle. Something a little extra to bridge the gap between BG1 and BG2.

BG2 can be explored just as randomly as BG1, just because you are given a more direct course of action shouldn't really bother people that much, but I understand the minor malaise it can cause in comparison to BG1.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    @Anduin‌ If I recall, I might be mistaken, are they not working on some DLC in the future to bridge the gap? This would be an amazing thing in my opinion. I've always wondered exactly HOW Irenicus captures you. . .
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
    I think BG2 is technically speaking a better game, but I understood the question as which is your favourite game, so I voted BG1.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    I like them all the same, don't get me wrong, but for nostalgia's, exploration's, and sarevok's sake, i HAVE to stick with 1... For sarevok's, his two girls' (mmm, that tamoko...), the undercellar's concubines, the mage's who locked the nymph in his house to make her his, the perverted old mage's who was peeking at 2 girls while they were undressing every night, MMM, 1 just had it more good than 2. Just kidding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    Notice how nobody who played BG2 first said BG1 is better game. It's not true for BG1 players however. Does it mean that BG2 is objectively better game?

Offtopic. I've made this poll after that post where a guy said he couldn't like BG and for 4 pages everyone was trying to change his opinion. Nostalgia is a driving factor when it comes to personal preferences. For younger players who already got spoiled by very decent 3D RPGs (KotOR, ME, DAO) I think it will be very hard to enjoy older isometric games.
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    BG2 isn't bigger in terms of its own size - isn't it a much smaller game in terms of places to go than BG1? It certainly feels that way. Regardless, the two are inseparable - all together they are greater than the sum of their parts, and lead to a stunning conclusion.
  • NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146
    Although I'm not finished with BGII:EE yet, I have so far enjoyed the game more in many respects. Yes, the first game was definitely amazing and without it, BGII wouldn't be anywhere near as amazing as it is, but the dialogue and NPC interactions in the second game (along with the comic relief) really made it an overall better experience.

If we were to compare the games standalone, however, then the first game would definitely win. Without the story and fun of the first game, I don't think BGII would be anywhere near as entertaining. Having played the first game first, however, I can thoroughly enjoy the continuation of the story and game progression in BGII much more than if I had played it first.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    It's a tough one. I do like all the exploration in BG1, but BG2 has a better cast of characters. There are more NPC's in BG1, and maybe if they were developed they could have been somewhat interesting. As it is they're mostly all just shallow archetypes with nowhere the depth and personality of those you meet in 2. Characters and story interest me more than anything else and hook me into the world, and BG2 has the edge on those counts.

If 2 had just a few more wilderness areas to explore, and the first dungeon cut down in size a bit, it would be the perfect game.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    bg2 has character depth but for me bg1 has pretty much everything else in its favour

if bg2 had some more characters i liked and a better representation of classes id probably say its better but the character set and lack of exploration hurts bg2 a lot for me
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2014

For younger players who already got spoiled by very decent 3D RPGs (KotOR, ME, DAO) I think it will be very hard to enjoy older isometric games.

You don't mean it. Isometric was, is, and will forever be, the best. They don't make them like they used to. I certainly saw the "Baldur's Gate mod" for one of those 3ds (can't remember which one, though). Yet, i NEVER saw a "that 3d one's mod" for BG2, or something... 3D is nothing compared to isometric, at least RPG-wise.

Off topic: Games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, were released in a time and era that 3D games had already been established as the "norm", and not only overshadowed them by far, not only they got better scores, public acclaim, fame and rating, but won over most, if not all, 3D titles of their time, and maybe one or two eras' next ones...

Also, the fact that baldur's gate enhanced edition sell like crazy, as well as those original revamps at GoG, is proof enough by itself, that isometric still rocks, even at modern players. And there is quite a number of newcomers who found nice and interesting, the style of the past (and apparently, either prefer it over, or embrace it together with, new games and graphics priority).
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Not even close.

With ee its alot closer but bg2 is much better

Npcs banter, gameplay, quests etc
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Offtopic. I've made this poll after that post where a guy said he couldn't like BG and for 4 pages everyone was trying to change his opinion. Nostalgia is a driving factor when it comes to personal preferences. For younger players who already got spoiled by very decent 3D RPGs (KotOR, ME, DAO) I think it will be very hard to enjoy older isometric games.

I don't think Sliceofhell said that isometric was bad. But it's true that the majority of people would pick 3D over isometric, and that was the point that was made. It's unfortunately very true.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    edited July 2014
    I love the bg games and i love fallout 1 and 2 even more. Im 31 and i played em as a kid.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

For younger players who already got spoiled by very decent 3D RPGs (KotOR, ME, DAO) I think it will be very hard to enjoy older isometric games.

You don't mean it. Isometric was, is, and will forever be, the best. They don't make them like they used to.
    I agree. I've never been able to immerse myself into any 3D RPG, be it NWN, Sacred 2, Skyrim, etc. I'm not 100% certain of the exact reason(s), but I think it's because the artwork of the original IE games breaths life into the characters and events, whereas the 3D pixels make everything feel cold, mechanical, and repetitive.

I suppose I just feel that something like this,

...conveys a lot more emotion and uniqueness than this:
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited July 2014
    @SharGuidesMyHand‌: that's because in the first case you can let your imagination fly much more:
    in a full 3D game (not that I dislike astounding graphics) you're able to see every single particular realized with great detail and generally this fills you with pleasure, but in the long period doesn't satisfy you completely for two reasons:
    1- at this time 3D graphics isn't 100% photorealistic so you can see flaws everywhere and they're immersion breaking;
    2- everything is already fully pictured so this will leave you little space for imagination.

That's the case, F.I., of a movie production inspired to a well known book (now I'm speaking mostly for myself): let's take LotR movies: they're amazing and they depict very well the Middle Earth -let's not consider plot cuts etc. for the moment- BUT(!) when I read the book before the movies, my own imagination depicted all the characters in a different way, so I was not completely satisfied watching them looking like that in the movies, even if they were greatly depicted.
    In the case of a person watching that said movie and then reading the book, in 99,9% of the cases he will imagine the world and the characters as depicted in the movies, and in my opinion this takes away some of the enjoyment. ( I hope you'll understand why I've made this example)

In an old style Isometric game, landscapes are more than often fully "hand designed" so, even if these landscapes are fully static, perspectively speaking, they're more alive, warm and dynamic because they're more picturesque, vivid, and you're much more stimulated to let what you see to live just with your own fantasy, and in your own unique way.
    The same could be said for the characters: in game you have stylized paperdolls and low definition 3D models (or 2D sprites in many cases), and a simple drawn portrait... simple, but full of details.
    That only portrait is sufficient to let you imagine the whole personality of that character (that and the whole load of banters, an amount of banters and dialogues that most of the modern games lack of), this in your own personal and unique way too, granting you a much better immersion. (want we to talk about text games?)

Retrieving the precedent example of the book, you read it, there are few pictures or none at all, maybe a cover art, but a full detailed tale, with plenty of characters and places descriptions but, even if something is described with plenty of details this can't prevent you to imagine it in your unique way.

Said that, I believe that who in the first time experienced something that let him enjoy it in his own personal and unique way because it gives you the spark to start your imagination (a book, an old 2D videogame but full of text and details) will hardly enjoy a modern high detailed movie inspired to a book or a modern 3D game at the same level.
    I'm not saying that he will not enjoy them, on the contrary he will, but he will surely feel that limit that is represented by the inability to (or the few chances to) use his own imagination that could grant the uniqueness of his experience.

EDIT: typos corrected but surely there are more here around...
    Post edited by Metalloman on