Skip to content

BG1 vs BG2

2»

Comments

• ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    I would like to say that in general I agree. The isometric view of BG is more immersive and, indeed, more pretty to me than just about any 3D RPG.

The exception to this is Morrowind which had me fully enthralled, much more so than any of the later titles.
    Morrowind and BG I and II are the pinnacles of CRPGS!
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    I agree with you about Morrowind: I think that game is one of the few exceptions to what I've said. :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I suppose I just feel that something like this,

...conveys a lot more emotion and uniqueness than this:

What, a fan's bad edit of a good portrait?
  • shiddle37shiddle37 Member Posts: 2
    I played bg2 first years ago when I was a but a wee thing, at the time it was too hard. I just went back and played it again about a month ago including tob and got so into it that I decided I should play bg1. Personally I think it was the character depth, NPC banter, romances and story line that personally makes bg2 better for me. The character quests and other side quests make it easier to follow for some than in bg1. I also totally agree with Dee in their opinion on actual d&d play. In the beginning of an actual campaign we would start out with sticks and by the end of the campaign be so overpowered that our characters would seem like we used shadow keeper on them. While I think bg1 is a great game in its own right. bg2 is deff a worthy sequel and my personal fav. ;)
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I like the portraits and freedom of BG1, but overall I liked the pace, NPCs dialog, item selection, spell selection, and story of the second game + throne of Baal far better. When I play through BG1 I feel like I just want it to end generally. I don't feel that way playing through BG2. Every class in BG1 feels like a fighter. You don't start to get any interesting spells or items until near the very end of the game. The monsters you fight in BG2 are also a lot more interesting IMO. You get to fight a powerful wizard, Liches, Vampires, Dragons, and all manner of nasty beasties. It's also a lot of fun to feel god like near the end of throne of baal.
  • MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    edited August 2014
    I played BG2 first, but don't really have a favorite. I think they are both amazing games with their own unique feel.

Although Serevok was an amazing villain and I enjoyed him very much, Irenicus really blew me away. He felt like a legitimate evil mage and the cutscenes really made me feel like he was super powerful. Not to mention, David Warner's voice overs were bad ass. He really captured the essence of Jon Irenicus. Still, that does not take away anything from Serveok. He was still an excellent villain.
  • InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2014
    I like BG2 more than one due to the power that is given to the characters in 2 and ToB. Of course summoning a Planetar/Deva or calling down a Meteor wouldn't be as satisfying if I hadn't started out summoning wolves and throwing pebbles and Missiles, but I like to feel my characters have power and have become strong.
    For example, I started my second playthrough a few days ago on another trilogy run. I played about 3 hours of BG1 before feeling bored and that it was busywork which would lead up to BG2 and ToB. Both games are very good in their own right, I just like 2 more because that's when the characters really begin to shine combat and personality wise.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Quartz said:

The so-called "bad edit" does a far better job of depicting the character as a drow, and isn't cluttered by shade/glow effects.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Quartz said:

The so-called "bad edit" does a far better job of depicting the character as a drow, and isn't cluttered by shade/glow effects.
    I actually really like viconia's bg1 portrait, I don't know why so many people have a problem with it. That said, @Quartz‌, come on now. It's not *that* bad, especially for a viconia edit.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    BG2 just has better quests and better dungeons. The dungeons of BG1 are essentially the Nashkel mines, the Cloakwood mines, Candlekeep and the final dungeon. Aside from that, the side dungeons are super bland, with the exception of Durlag's tower.

BG1 is also not as accepting if you start out as a mage, thief, bard, or druid. The first half of the game is heavily imbalanced towards fighter-type classes. BG2 seems more balanced.

That being said, there are some advantages to BG1. The openness is super appealing. The very slow but steady progression in your first few levels is good. The diverse array of NPCs is great. The one flaw of BG2 is not having enough of certain kinds of NPCs, though the BG2 NPCs have more depth.

Lastly Baldur's Gate in BG1 is mega-disappointing. The area was poorly designed and is loaded with so much useless filler. As fun as the wilderness is to explore in BG1, the eponymous city is tedious. The way Athkatla was done is substantially better.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I used to obsess over details in artwork. "Oh, the artist did this little bit wrong ... It should be fixed!"

When someone else than the original artist fixes it, it just turns said artwork into an amalgamated piece that is at odds with itself. This Viconia edit is no exception.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2014
    I tried BG2 first found it far too confusing: I just about struggled out of Irenicus' dungeon and gave up because I couldn't figure out how to exit Waukeen's Promenade. Later I went back and tried BG1 thinking "this will be simpler". After getting slaughtered a couple of times by Tarneesh outside the Friendly Arms Inn I was tempted to give up that too, but I decided "no, I AM going to master this." And eventually I started to enjoy it.
    Overall I think 1 is the better game: I prefer the open exploration at the start whereas Ankhatla is just too crowded for me -I can never finish a quest without picking up three more. And I find the first game is better balanced between classes whereas 2 is too heavily slanted towards magic. I've finished BG1 many times but I've only ever slogged my way through ToB once. By ToB everything is too big, too exaggerated for my taste, but I can imagine a LOTR-type world in BG1. It's a more internally-consistent world: when BG2 brings in other planes it's mixing sci-fi with faux-mediaeval which just don't fit together IMO.
  • cpsusiecpsusie Member Posts: 1
    GKL206 said:

And I find the first game is better balanced between classes whereas 2 is too heavily slanted towards magic.

I think this is a result of AD&D 2d Edition rules: mages start off super weak and useless at low level and end up being super powerful at high levels. Note, I do not think this is a bad thing: AD&D is designed around the concept of a full-party adventure- the idea of making each class able to hold its own on its own has little to no place.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    BG2 is technically the better game, so if I had to choose I'd go with that. But I like both games equally but for different reasons.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited August 2016
    Hmm, seems I didn't vote the first time around, so:

I first played BG1 and I honestly can't say which I think is the better game.

Two years ago I would have said BG1 without a doubt - for that 'starting from scratch' feeling and the general 'openness' of the game (apart from the main quest line there seems to be less hand-holding than in BG2).

However, since then I have installed Dungeon-Be-Gone and consequently played BG2 (inc. ToB) a lot more.
    With more experience of BG2 I've reversed my initial opinion that it railroads you and have in fact found that it offers me more variables to play with in terms of party composition and quest sequencing, which in turn gives me more roleplaying opportunities.

But that feeling you get when leaving Candlekeep with just the shirt on your back and not a clue what's going on is still hard to beat.

P.S. I just wish BG1 didn't have the Tomes because it always makes me feel like I'm missing out on something every time I start a game in BG2.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Even Xzar would've blinked before performing this level of Necromancy.
    cpsusie said:

GKL206 said:

And I find the first game is better balanced between classes whereas 2 is too heavily slanted towards magic.

I think this is a result of AD&D 2d Edition rules: mages start off super weak and useless at low level and end up being super powerful at high levels. Note, I do not think this is a bad thing: AD&D is designed around the concept of a full-party adventure- the idea of making each class able to hold its own on its own has little to no place.
    That's not really the result of 2e, that's pretty much bog-standard for D&D, once a Wizard hits Third level spells, their power just skyrockets from there. Only exception may be 4e, but 4e is an exception to a lot of things.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    dib said:

BG2 is technically the better game, so if I had to choose I'd go with that. But I like both games equally but for different reasons.

Yes. BG2 is the better game. I replay BG1 far more often though because I prefer the low level campaign and origin aspect of the game. Love Bg2 also but I generally get through it less often. I really don't like TOB at all and have only forced myself through it twice.

I'm good with ending the adventure after stopping Irenicus.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited August 2016
    This is an incredibly hard poll for me. I have always viewed the various BG games as a single experience. If I play through one, I do a full run of them all (unless my crippling restartitis sets in). If I HAVE to choose one, I suppose I'll go with BG2. While the I feel that Sarevok is a stronger vllain overall, BG1's story is severely back loaded. Everything since entering the titular city is full of intrigue, hunting down the iron throne, deciphering their plans, learning about the upstart Sarevok. Everything before that point feels really unfocused.
    BG2's story feels far more focused than BG1, which I appreciate. The many sidequests are also much better in BG2, each one a complete story in their own right. While Sarevok is better written, I enjoy the performance of Irenicus far more. The kidnapping of Imoen feels far more personal and makes me want to hunt him down more. Yes, Sarevok did murder Gorion, and while I do really like the character, I had far more time to bond with Imoen, giving her crisis more impact.

*EDIT* I like the npcs in BG2 more as well.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    I like low-level play, I like to be inside the world. In BG2, the world increasingly revolves around the player, in BG1 the player needs to find his/her way in the world. That said, BG tutu and the EE's made the gameplay of BG1 a lot better.

I also like Morrowind and Skyrim for that reason, there's a lot going on in the world, in Morrowind there's the very strange and magical world with its silt striders and mushroom forests, but in Skyrim there's just a lot going on in the background. I sometimes just sit on a bench overlooking a valley, seeing a giant herd his mammoths, and watching a bear hunt a deer.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Zilber said:

...but in Skyrim there's just a lot going on in the background. I sometimes just sit on a bench overlooking a valley, seeing a giant herd his mammoths, and watching a bear hunt a deer.

That's one thing I love to do in Oblivion and Skyrim, thanks to the Radiant AI. I'll often pick a spot in a market or other popular place and just watch the citizens be citizens.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I've been playing BG1 a lot more than BG2 because BG1 feels a lot more modable. BG2 and SOD have complicated enough scripts that I feel like if I mess around with them I'm just going to screw something up, maybe break the game. In BG1, it's simple enough to do cool things.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited August 2016
    I can imagine I could vote for BG1 if I used the NPC mod. But as the games are, BG2 is my favourite (even though nowadays I cannot do a run that is not complete, so I play it very little)
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    I played BG1 back when there was no BG2 and loved it. Then BG2 SoA came out. It is simply the best game I have ever played.