Skip to content

melee weapons to use DEX thac0 bonus

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Don't edit every single item--use weidu to do so. You could grab *all* of the scimitars/short swords/daggers at once. Check this and this, might be of some help :)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not sure, but I think in one of the games you also get +4 to damage vs. opponents using ranged weapons in melee. Unfortunately I don't remember whether it was BG1 or BG2, vanilla or EE, etc.
    TJ_Hooker said:

I'm not sure, but I think in one of the games you also get +4 to damage vs. opponents using ranged weapons in melee. Unfortunately I don't remember whether it was BG1 or BG2, vanilla or EE, etc.

That was in vanilla, both BG2 and BG1.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    There is also a huge THAC0 penalty (-8) when using ranged weapons in melee range, so you will need to compensate for that, it is not shown on the record or inventory screens.
    You will also lose the Strength damage bonus, but I think that's supposed to happen if you use DEX for melee THAC0 anyway.
    It will also screw up weapon styles, since they require a melee weapon in the main hand to activate.

It's "unarmed" that takes increases melee damage from armed melee attackers. Ranged just has THAC0 penalties.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421

...rappers, maybe even scimitars - basically, thieves' weapons.

Rappers are thieves' weapons? Snoop Dogg might agree. ;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited July 2014
    Archaos said:

...rappers, maybe even scimitars - basically, thieves' weapons.

Rappers are thieves' weapons? Snoop Dogg might agree. ;)
    You took my thing! I was going to say that. And bg doesn't have rapiers anyway, so why mention it?
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I wouldn't mind rapiers being added actually. . . I play rogues and bards a lot and they would be wonderful for them. Not to mention having weird and wonderful fighters with odd weapons! :)

But it makes sense to me, using a short sword or a dagger is going to be more dependent on your speed then your strength. Longswords could go either way, hammers, flails, two handed swords, halberds are definitely strength weapons. . .
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

I didn't consider weapon styles... so if you use a throwing dagger, you don't get the benefit of SWS? Ah crap, and this would mean no dual-wielding at all.

Sigh. I think this idea will not fly, in this form anyway. I suppose you could use scripts, but that is beyond me.

The game won't let you equip a ranged weapon in the off-hand, or equip any weapon in your off-hand if you have a ranged weapon equipped in the main hand.

Also, backstabbing only works for melee weapons.

Sorry to further rain on the parade... :(
  • WraithguardWraithguard Member Posts: 20
    Maybe you can just extend the range to simulate a ranged weapon but still allowing them to backstab? Like a reach weapon, with even longer range?

Maybe you can just extend the range to simulate a ranged weapon but still allowing them to backstab? Like a reach weapon, with even longer range?

Yes, you can, but that would actually look as if you were using a melee weapon and hitting a creature that is 10 feet away... maybe you can give a 100 value the 0x30 field from the extend ability header and set a projectile animation for it, dunno if it will work, but you could try.
    Helpful link: http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/file_formats/ie_formats/itm_v1.htm
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Sounds like the "Weapon Finesse" feat from D&D 3.x, which allows you to use your Dex modifier instead of your Str modifier for light weapons, rapiers and similar weapons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.