Skip to content

Any mods important enough to make you wait until you start playing BG EE?

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
I was playing my current run of BGT today and I suddenly realized that there's at least one mod that would make me postpone playing the EE.

I will probably wait until BG1NPC Project is fully compatible with the EE before I start seriously playing it. The game would feel strange to me without interjection between all NPCs and not only the new ones with old npcs/CHARNAME.

Other mods I like but that will not stop me are BG1 UB and the friendship paths.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Quartz I share your pain. Maybe if there's a new NPC to meet inside the dungeon...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    mlnevese said:

@Quartz I share your pain. Maybe if there's a new NPC to meet inside the dungeon...

I really hope they put Neera, Dorn, and Rasaad in BG2 (as well as more NPCs of course, but.)
    The three of them are confirmed by Trent Oster with more to come.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Not one mod can make me not play BG:EE.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I don't play with mods so I'll be into BGEE on the first day of release.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    well only mod that is allmost a must have is SCS but i think i can live without it might be rather easy.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Mods or not wouldn't stop me. Its better to play a game first without mods, this way you know what has changed for the better or worst when the time comes when you install mods.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    I don't think I'll wait for any mod. I think there will be plenty of character interaction in my party because I'll probably try to fit in all the 3 new NPCs despite their differing world views ( or maybe because of it >:D let's see some sparks fly! ) with Imoen and CHARNAME that makes us good to go.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I probably won't wait for any mods. It's been a long time since I've played a vanilla run and I'm actually rather excited about it.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    Not waiting for any mods, since a lot of the CONTENT mods I've played aren't great. The only great mods already been added in the form of fixpacks and such. Quality content mods are harder to find.

I mean let's take a look at the typical installation. Most of it is just fixpacks. Once BG:EE comes out all of it will be redundant and we'll have a few megamods like TSoBH and smaller ones like Sirine.

The only content mods which are at the height of completion and quality are BG1NPC and UB(1/2). The rest either add unbalanced items, poorly designed areas or just plain bugs, or at the most they're good mods which need more work. At the end of the day you have to give credit to the authors for their time but the work doesn't always pay off.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Depends on whether or not the EE incorporates "Unfinished Business" - if it does, I'm going in at launch.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The BG1NPC project is still under consideration, as is Unfinished Business. I really like both mods so I'm tempted to wait for these.
    Of course, that depends on what the wait limit is. With a little luck, the modders who programmed these mods are also the betatesters for the EE, which might mean they're already working on an update of the mods so they're ready for download at launch.
    Let's hope.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I want to play it vanilla first for a basis of comparison.

Thereafter I'll wait until SCS, BG1 NPC Project, and Unfinished Business 1 are compatible. I also typically install Dark Side of the Sword Coast and the Gray Clan, so hopefully those mods will be ready by then as well. Those are the main mods that I can remember... I haven't the game played in 4 years. So if there are other mods for BG1 that I'm forgetting, or more recent ones that look good, I'll probably add those in as well. I always played the game heavily modded via BGT.

For me it's a happy thing that I'll be breaking up BG1 and BG2. I have very little time to devote to this pastime anymore; just a little time here and there every so often. If I was playing BGT with all those mods again, I'm sure it would take me at least 6 months to complete the entire saga.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    The only 2 must have mods that there are for Baldurs Gate 1 in my opinion are the BG1 NPC Project and UB, it wont prevent me from playing the game, all the other mods that I have installed for BG1 were just an attempt for me to get new experience in BG1, which BG:EE will more than address it.

• ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    It'd be a shame if UB wasn't incorporated, considering it is original content that got cut.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Item Revisions, Spell Revisions, SCS and aTweaks are all a mandatory part of many installations. Waiting for all of them to be updated can be tricky, though, within a couple of months at least. On the other hand, I always thought that playing a game the day after release is never a good idea - wait for patches/DLC, and only then play.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I'm not particularly interested in content being added. UB would be nice, but I see no reason to include it. The only things which should COME with the game are listed in @Bhyraen's epic fix thread. Anything else should be optional, which is why I personally don't support 1PP (I won't get started on that again :P).

The thing I like about BG:EE is that it seems like the only stuff they're including are FIXES, not CHANGES like 'remove helmet ani' and SCS. I agree with this sentiment.

Make 1PP, UB and BG1NPC optional, update them, make them purdy, put a link on them from the website, then everybody will be happy. :D
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    was actually wondering if you guys could suggest any bg1 mods (like to up the walking speed :P ) as i want to do a quick play through while i wait for ee. i tried the wide screen but ehhh, it doesn't look right, the videos are off center and.....the g3 widescreen mod. any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

and i already have BGT, but it seems to cheapen the game with replacing most all the art with bg2. maybe bg tutu but sounds like it does the same thing?
    edited August 2012
    @Bjjorick Try BG1 NPC Project and BG1 Unfinished Business I think you'll lie them. I think they rely on BGT though...
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Not really. I'm not so attached to any particular mod that I want to wait. Plus I'm interested to see what the vanilla game plays like again before I look for mods.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I can't play without my tweaks!
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    It won't make me hold off on BG:EE, but I also hope the BG1NPC project gets updated quickly! Other than that, the only thing I'll miss is unlimited ammo stacks. Unless BG:EE lets you do that? *heads off to the release notes*
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Bjjorick said:

was actually wondering if you guys could suggest any bg1 mods (like to up the walking speed :P ) as i want to do a quick play through while i wait for ee. i tried the wide screen but ehhh, it doesn't look right, the videos are off center and.....the g3 widescreen mod. any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

and i already have BGT, but it seems to cheapen the game with replacing most all the art with bg2. maybe bg tutu but sounds like it does the same thing?

The thing about BGT is that it turns the three games (well, 2.5, really) into a single consistent experience, so the visuals do tend to stay on the same level. But since BG2 was slightly more evolved in that area anyway, I don't think you're missing out on anything. :)

As for recommended mods, it depends on how closely you want to stick to the "canon" game. "Unfinished Business" is all about restoring/fixing content that was meant to be in the game, whereas BG1NPC adds a lot of material but most (if not all) of it is fan-made. I'd also recommend using the Tweaks pack for general convenience.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Definitely the BG1 NPC project. If all that dialogue can't be added by the developers, I'm going to have to wait for the one I just mentioned. BG1 is pretty decent without many mods. If you said BG2, I might have a huge list, but so far this is the only one that is end all be all.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    I think I tried the BG1 NPC project, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, I want nothing to do with it. I can't speak for the quality of the work itself, but the frequency with which the banter occurred was absolutely maddening. Sometimes everyone in the party would say something before I was able to interact. I finally ended up uninstalling the mod so that everyone would shut up and let me play the game.

If the banter had been more infrequent, like in BG2, it might have been a welcome addition. But I felt like I the game was trying to DDoS CHARNAME. Granted, that was maybe a year ago, and that could have changed(or I could be thinking of a different mod altogether).
    edited August 2012
    @ScarsUnseen Banter frequency may be changed when installing. Make it once every 1 hour and you should have no problems...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2012
    I'm hoping the developers release a banter mod since they're not contractually able to add it to the game proper. That way they avoid legal issues and we all benefit. Especially banter for all the old characters etc. No offence to the community banter mods out there, but not the best quality of writing I think.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    I wonder if DLC is held to the same contractual restrictions as the primary release...
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I will play start playing BGEE vanilla on the release date, too experience what it's like and what they've done to the game, and if it will be improvements.

There are however things that are improvements to the game, to my taste, that are added by mod, that I will be using as soon as they're updated. Must-haves for me, without which BGEE will feel 'strange':

Hard Times (I will feel like being bombarded with magic items and getting far too rich far too quickly without it, like there's no real crisis in the Swordcoast),
    NPC1-project (vanilla NPC's will sound awfully quiet without it, only chattering with Dorn, Neera and Rashaad, but not amongst themselves),
    a lots of tweaks from BG2 Tweaks, SCS and aTweaks,
    the improved AI by Sword Coast Stratagems.

Only things that will become redunant are the fixes (but even the Tutu Fixpack has some tweaks I like, the walking speeds and increased stack size, even though Tutu walking speeds were bugged, the speed felt right) and the Widescreen mod. But I think we should resurrect a monument depicting a man cuddling a miniature giant spacehamster for all the work The Bigg did in keeping Infinity Engine games alive and loved with his mod.