Skip to content

You have changed, my friend, and not entirely for the better! Opposite Alignment NPCs!

Sooo, imagine if (yeah, it's a "what if" thread, nothing to see here) NPCs we all know and love had the exact opposite alignment of what they really have! Like, a Chaotic Good Kagain; Neutral Good Eldoth; Lawful Neutral Safana. Neutral Evil Imoen.
Also, imagine if an NPC actually changed alignment (180°) during their life-span. How?

For purposes of this discussion, here's a cheat sheet of Opposed Alignments.

Lawful Good - Chaotic Evil
Neutral Good - Neutral Evil
Chaotic Good - Lawful Evil
Lawful Neutral - Chaotic Neutral
...True Neutral would probably just not care. :|

For Example, I think a Lawful Good Korgan would wander about taking jobs for money to donate to helping victims. He'd probably still be a little gruff.
...a Lawful Evil Nalia would probably be a very manipulative person, and might even steal from the rich, and pin the blame on the poor, or something.

Comments

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited July 2014
    Dazzu said:

mlnevese said:

I
    I can see an evil Nalia using the poor to legitimate her rule while using a puppet ruler instead of charname, maybe even manipulating them to riot if other nobles attempted to marry her by force. All the while working to keep nobility in place and removing any revolutionary that tried to bring equality. Although that would be more a neutral evil instead of lawaful evil example....

So... Isaea with boobs?
    That pretty much made my day. :'D
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Sarevok being lawful good??? Omigosh! I cannot even imagine this. Hell, i just remembered i can make him wear the helmet of alignment change... HOW did i forget to?
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Dazzu said:

mlnevese said:

I
    I can see an evil Nalia using the poor to legitimate her rule while using a puppet ruler instead of charname, maybe even manipulating them to riot if other nobles attempted to marry her by force. All the while working to keep nobility in place and removing any revolutionary that tried to bring equality. Although that would be more a neutral evil instead of lawaful evil example....

So... Isaea with boobs?
    After he tried forcing her to marry him, and she used a little trick she learned from Edwina.

I can just imagine a Chaotic Evil Sir Keldorn hacking & slashing his way through the Order of the Radiant Heart after they booted him for advising Anomen to seek revenge on his sister's supposed murderer.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited July 2014
    Tomarctus said:

I reckon a chaotic evil Aerie would be an interesting character. Crazed by the loss of her wings and spellslinging everyone into oblivion. The insecure little girl transforming into a mad powerful monster bent on making people feel her pain.

This would be interesting. Tragic, but something worth reading. @Coutelier‌ ?

Hmm, a Lawful Good Shar-Teel. I want to think that there would still be little love of men in her heart, but that she'd strike at the foulest of them - Yago, and Bassilus, and her own father. Although, even as a Chaotic Evil individual she shows restraint (but that's because she's smart-Chaotic and not slathering-and-foaming-Chaotic).

Lawful Neutral Safana, I want to say "scary". She'd probably be some sort of agent, and her charm ability I could see being used for interrogations.

A Neutral Good, Selûnite Viconia? That'd be a thing.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Sadly putting the helmet of opposite alignment on someone does not change his/her script. All banter would have to be completely re-written for this eventuality, one set for wearing the helmet and another without.
    In a mod I've also come across an item that makes you true neutral. Again all banter would have to be re-written, so sadly it just will not happen. :(
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited July 2014
    Lawful evil Alora, anyone ...?
    Still with the pink hair of course.

Also, neutral evil Imoen.
    All the torture hit her a bit too hard.
    ... that's bloody scary, man o_o'
    Imagine her in the Planar Sphere meeting the other evil halflings.
    "Yeah, you are right, my party sucks. I'm gonna join you guys!"
  • NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146
    Tomarctus said:

I reckon a chaotic evil Aerie would be an interesting character. Crazed by the loss of her wings and spellslinging everyone into oblivion. The insecure little girl transforming into a mad powerful monster bent on making people feel her pain.

Shit man, my waifu wouldn't be so adorable if she was chaotic evil. I'd have to put her down.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2014

So... Jaheira would be still... Jaheira?

Good.

Not good, she'd be neutral... well, still neutral.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Lawful evil Kivan and Coran? . . . I don't know if I should be scared or intrigued.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Neutral Evil Khalid is book Khalid, but better written... so like Eldoth or something but he beats his wife.
  • NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146

So... Jaheira would be still... Jaheira?

Good.

To be fair, Jaheira does seem to lean Good-Neutral in Baldur's Gate II, so I suppose one could surmise she would be True Neutral with mildly evil tendencies.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Anomen would be chaotic neutral and need to pass a test to lose four points of Wisdom, become chaotic evil and join a Cult of Cyric. If he fails his test, he becomes a lawful neutral cleric of Helm.

Also, he would only be mildly annoying. ;-)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited July 2014
    Neutral Evil Valygar would be a hitman for the Cowled Wizards helping them establish a new power basis in the Athkatla slums and removing enemies of the Cowled ones that the latter can't get rid of through legal means. He would also talk a lot...
    Post edited by Blackraven on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Eldoth would become the acting captain of the guard at a keep. While acting in this role there would be a number of monks and guards gone missing, sparking the need to investigate the matter. The adventurers tasked with investigating this would find that Eldoth is under the control of krotan (an ogre mage of considerable power), likely by means of a mind flayer.*

*100% original idea that in no way can be found anywhere else. No sir :)
    Post edited by elminster on
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282

Tomarctus said:

This would be interesting. Tragic, but something worth reading. @Coutelier‌ ?
    Couldn't be written realistically without changing Aerie into a completely different character. Empathy and a strong will to do what's right are too ingrained into her (plus it buys into the myth that people who are abused become abusers themselves, which is not always true at all)... although, if you do happen to be a slaver or abuser of any kind, you'll obviously want to stay well out of her way as she grows in confidence and strength in the game anyway. When she finds her new identity she is, she'll be the type of person who won't give villains second chances. I guess imagining them as different characters is kind of the point of this thread though, so...

I've always felt Nalia would be a really good corruption path though, although maybe beyond the scope of the game. She starts out wanting to do what's right, but she advances up the political ranks in Amn she meets more and more opposition from the established elite and nobility. She is convinced to take some unsavory in order to get rid of some rivals and advance her own career, but then the guilt starts haunting her and slips further and further into paranoia, eventually losing her mind.

An evil Imoen... blasting apart her foes then slicing smiles onto their faces, giggling all the while. Eventually stabbing Sarevok and Charname in the back and becoming the goddess of trollops and plug tails (whatever the hell a plug tail is...)

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2014
    Coutelier said:

I've always felt Nalia would be a really good corruption path though, although maybe beyond the scope of the game. She starts out wanting to do what's right, but she advances up the political ranks in Amn she meets more and more opposition from the established elite and nobility. She is convinced to take some unsavory in order to get rid of some rivals and advance her own career, but then the guilt starts haunting her and slips further and further into paranoia, eventually losing her mind.

This. I loved the fact that in vanilla Baldur's Gate,

redeemed Sarevok

actually warns Nalia against this happening. I'd love to see this become real, though I'm not sure I'd have the heart to do it.