Skip to content

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Comments

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Elrandir said:

Stealth is still highly useful in Morrowind, it just requires better stats to be consistently effective. That's why every thief needs the illusion skill. Even a 20% chameleon effect massively increases your stealth abilities.

As for the "hands down best class", I don't really think there is one in Morrowind. There are certainly more powerful classes, but no "best" class. My "best" class is a homemade light armor and longsword wielding jack of all trades, capable of healing magic, enchanting, alchemy (the absolute best money maker in the game), bartering, sweet-talking, alteration, and a couple other things. My general play style is to level up END to 100 as quickly as possible for max hp, and then train everything else as it goes, occasionally using my massive piles of money to get training. Morrowind is a hard game for newcomers, but once you know the tricks, it's incredibly easy.

Honestly this is the game with the best artifacts, so for armor you can really go a lot of different ways. Enchanting makes the best shields, but cuirasses, helmets, and gauntlets? Nah. You can find superior artifacts. Max out light and heavy armor and you'll be a monster. Fists of Randagulf? Check. Cuirass of the Saviour's Hide? (dat 60% MR, though) Check. Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw? Check. And what about weapons? Well you can enchant some pretty monstrous stuff, but the artifacts will always have more base damage, no two ways about it. And I like that. Artifacts truly FEEL like artifacts.

I agree with a lot of what you said. But for me, light armor is worthless because I judge armor not by the armor rating but by the enchant value - but there is a reason I do this. Here lately all I roll is atronach and I find myself relying a lot on Drain Int 100 for 1 sec on self to restore my magicka. So Savior's Hide is no option - extra MR combined with my high Willpower and Atronach sign would pretty much ensure that I couldn't refill my magicka reliably. Am I a dirty rotten cheater? Yea, maybe. But it is what it is.

I do agree that the artifacts are better, by the way. Although there is something awesome about creating your own weapons and armor and naming them.

For instance, I have a Daedric Claymore, like I said earlier, it has Paralyze 3 seconds and 3-51 frost damage (and this is with 200+ luck so I am one shotting virtually everyone). I call it "The Cold Blooded Claymore".

When I get Vivec in Azura's star I plan to boost my enchant and create a Daedric Dai-Katana that drains heath 50 points on strike and invisibility 1 sec on self. That 1 second is just enough to keep them in permanent confusion. I shall name it "The Wrath of the Incarnate".

Just talking about these things make me wonder why in the world this feature was removed from Skyrim. It's so freaking cool.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I can't believe I missed this thread! :O We should really do some Morrowind play through threads from time to time. It's such a stunning game. Morrowind and BG are the only games I still play after so many years. :D:D
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    If I could take screenshots on my xbox, I'd already have started working on one of those, @CaloNord‌ =p
    Hahahaha the bonus of having it on PC! ;) I find it amazing how so many of my favorite games are getting rather old and I just find newer titles can't compete. Sure, they may have flashier graphics but the story just can't compete. :)
    I can always find new games that I like, (and even love) but few have the sticking quality of these classics.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Think of how I feel! When I built this crossfire rig 3 years ago, as soon as I built it I spent maybe one week playing Crysis and then - whaddayaknow - I get hooked on Half-Life for crying out loud. Ever since then I have spent all my time playing old games (out of choice). Now I am saving up and getting ready to upgrade my PC again for the Witcher 3 but how much ya wanna bet that it will be another $1500 right down the toilet because as soon as I get finished with the Witcher 3 it will be back to all the good old PC games that I grew up with and cherish.
    Yea I'm going to build a desktop with a Titan purely to run Flightsim X flatout. I'm sick of it not running smooth/glitching out on the current system. This laptop is glorious for Morrowind, BG and IWD which is all play at the moment but it just can't handle the scale of FSX.

On the plus side, I shouldn't have to build another one for a long long time. . . :D
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Troodon80 said:
    THERE IS NO END TO THE MADNESS!
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    CaloNord said:

Yea I'm going to build a desktop with a Titan purely to run Flightsim X flatout.

Going off topic here, but you're likely better off getting a 780 ti over a Titan (Black).
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Wonder still anti cliffracer belt mod is avilable, if not well I do not want to go back to morrowind.
    It is very pleasing to see someone STILL playing that good game.
    I do not remeber morrowind game system well, does it have similar stat system oblivion or skyrim?
    @Teflon‌ It was like Oblivion's system. Or should I say Oblivion's system was like Morrowind? ;) Morrowind was slightly more complex in the skills department, but the attributes worked the same way.

Skyrim doesn't even HAVE a stat system. XD Although I do like the perks. If they made "Morrowind Reborn", I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them add perks to Morrowind's classic system. I feel like that would be an awesome addition.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Teflon said:

I do not remeber morrowind game system well, does it have similar stat system oblivion or skyrim?

@Teflon, Morrowind and Oblivion have similar stat systems, with just a minor difference: the one in Morrowind is not dumbed down :)

For example, Axes in Morrowind aren't Blunt weapons, so you don't have to hold them by the blade and hit foes with the shaft :D
    I love medium armor in theory, but Morrowind was kind of lacking in good medium armor. (vanilla especially, but even with the expansions it was lacking) After all, when the best stuff in the game can't be worn without people wanting you dead, it's generally not well designed. Of course that's vanilla. Expansions added superior stuff, but it still wasn't on par with light or heavy for the most part.

Spears got the... ahem, short end of the stick for most of the game, but the absolute best spear in the game (the bloodmoon one you get at the end of the bloodmoon main quest line) was pretty dang powerful.

Since I love Argonians it's probably pretty apparent that I've used spears and medium armor both, since they get bonuses to both. The first character I ever made used both of those, in fact.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    @ZanathKariashi well if you go install Morrowind and Skyrim you could install the skywind mod. the mod adds the entire morrowind game into the skyrim engine, however that still has it's downfalls. they couldn't implement all those good ole Morrowind spells for one. levitate was simulated by, after casting, opening the console and making you toggle collision for the duration, making it a sort of honor thing to not abuse it. also if skyrim's engine is anything like Oblivion there may be intense lag due to the size of Morrowind in comparison, in which case I needed a cell purge mod to make sure it wasn't unplayable. i personally don't use skywind or morroblivion though as I prefer to just play it as originally imagined.
  • InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    Morrowind was my second TES game (first being Oblivion) aaannndddd I finished the Vanilla main quest once. I tried making a new character a few months back with 2h Long Blade and Heavy Armor. I got the Ice Blade of the Monarch at level 5 and at level 7 I had the Mask of Clavicus Vile and killed Umbra with a stroke of luck on the hit rolls and frost damage. I tried doing Tribunal and I was enjoying it, but I got bored. Morrowind is still my favourite TES game, but I just can't get into it as much as I do in Skyrim for some reason. I might just uninstall the graphics overhaul I got for Morrowind and try going at it again, only this time I'll console the Athlectics and Speed numbers to a "modern RPG" running/walking speed to make it feel less of a grind. I know being a turlte early is to contrast with being a flying Sonic by the end but it just makes the beginning of the game feel too grindy for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    So I MAY have written a "biography" for an Altmer hero who could quite feasibly be the hero of (at least) four of the games. While I'm not a big fan of the Altmer, they are the longest living race. While I believe they can live to be around 300, some sources say they could live into the 1000's. So yeah. If I ever want to Let's Play the series of games, I'm going to have one character throughout.
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    Oh God I just fangirl-screamed.

I LOVED Morrowind. I never got to beat it as my 2008 laptop is (and always has been) a steaming pile of poo that can't handle children/better city mods in Balmora without making my poor badass crawl to the local shops like a nixhound on two legs, but it is what it is.

If there's any reason for me to ever invest in a computer, it would be for the Elder Scrolls games, more specifically for a moddable Morrowind that can be fully prettied up without going at two miles an hour.

I want to reread the Real Story of Barenziah with a forkful of mudcrab meat in one hand, a sujamma in the other and the lakes of Vivec City sloshing below my floating rock palace, where a former god screams for mercy and my friends show him none...
    So I may have just built (except for a dead on arrival graphics card, which I have a replacement being shipped to me currently) a top of a line absolute monster of a pc, and bought Morrowind GotY edition for about $5 on the steam summer sale. @CaloNord That Morrowind play-through thread we talked about may not be too far away. ;)
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Elrandir said:

top of a line absolute monster of a pc

@Elrandir did you get a Titan X? :p

I haven't tried Morrowind yet with my new card, but reckon that the enhanced visuals mod should have no trouble running. :D

edited June 2015
    @Troodon80 Self built. I could list all of the parts, but that would be a long list. =p

After taking a look to see what part a Titan X IS, exactly, I can now tell you that I got an EVGA GeForce GTX 970. Which arrived as a useless piece of junk. Now, almost two weeks later, I finally have the new one almost here. (I'm a little irked, as one might imagine.) On the other hand, I got Batman Arkham Knight and the Witcher 3 with it for free, so yay me.