Skip to content

So what race/class/description will you be playing first when you start off in bg;ee?

Comments

• BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    I'll probably play a LG or NG male half-elven Cleric/Mage first. Party will be Khalid, Jaheira, Rasaad, Neera and Imoen. I hope to cover both Rasaad's and Neera's quest in one playthrough.

After that, I'll go with something Neutral or Evil. Maybe a Blackguard or a Sorcerer. Never played BG1 with an evil party, but Dorn seem's like a good enough reason to finally do so.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    I'll probably be trying out a blackguard and it would have to be a half-Orc or I'll do my normal character of a human rogue of some sort. Most likely assassin.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I'm going to be a Half-orc Blackguard who finds Dorn, kills him and steals his portrait.
    Post edited by Silence on
  • CandramelekhCandramelekh Member Posts: 109
    Lawful Evil Human. Generalist mage
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Probably should say I'm going to be chaotic evil
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    edited August 2012
    Definitely a mage/fighter build, with a Chaotic Good alignment (mostly since that matches my personality). For BG1 dual-classing to a Mage at level 7 is acceptable, but since I like to play through the whole trilogy with the same character I will likely do so multi-classed, especially since I can continue to reap the benefits of a fighter up to the HLA territory. As for the race, it varies - I am partial to gnomes and half-elves in that regard. I may just go evil with a Drow for the heck of it, though. >:)

EDIT: Oh yes, I can't forget about dual-wielding. My favorite, especially when dealing with the scimitar/katana group of swords.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Ok you know what... Drow necromancer sounds too damn awesome!! Screw being an assassin I'll play as a necromancer when bg comes out!! :)
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    xLegionx said:

Ok you know what... Drow necromancer sounds too damn awesome!! Screw being an assassin I'll play as a necromancer when bg comes out!! :)

AD&D 2nd edition rules restrict Necromancers to humans only. Are they modifying the rules to include drow Necromancers in BG:EE?
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Mortianna said:

xLegionx said:

AD&D 2nd edition rules restrict Necromancers to humans only. Are they modifying the rules to include drow Necromancers in BG:EE?
    I seriously hope so! I recall Tanthalas I think saying that they will be bringing in subraces in a future patch or something like that. Still, the option should be there I mean....its drow c'mon!! :)
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    Probably a half-elf Sorcerer. They're my favorites. I'll just sit here and pray that I'll be able to multiclass her. Monk/Sorcerer plz.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Female human Druid or Sorceress for my first play-through.. it always has been and will be like that ;P !!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    Hmm. I might play my namesake character just for old times' sake... This time to try to play the character better than I did the very first time.

The first time I played the game I created a half-elven Fighter-Mage. To my disappointment I ended up not using his spellcasting ability much at all, though. Instead I needed him more as either an armored tank or archer. Just after purchasing the game I came across a rave review about the game allowing for creation of custom parties in MP mode. So not knowing any better, I created my own custom party of six. Anyway, I ended up using the PC mainly as a tank and archer (he was the best archer in the party; and bows are king in BG1).

Anyway, with all this in mind, I might have a go at human dual classed Kensai-Mage with an eye toward eventually importing the character into BG2:EE. That is in fact what I was playing in my last BGT run-through 4 years ago, which I never completed. I did kind of like that class. I made it to the Underdark and then life got too busy, and I never returned to the game. I was looking forward, though, to how the character would do in ToB.

Otherwise I may just try original my half-elven multi F-M again, and see if I can more effectively combine those respective class skills this time.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Male lawful good inquisitor paladin. Main reasons being the inquistor abilities and Carsomyr. He will serve as party leader, front line warrior, and anti-spellcaster (debuffer).
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 313
    I've actually got two characters lined up, since I will be doing multiplay with a friend, as well as run my own solo game when he's not available to play.

Multiplay, it'll be a chaotic neutral male human Transmuter. I wanted a mage, but something different from the normal half-elf Conjurer I always tend to end up with, so RNG'd my way into a Transmuter. I'm quite looking forward to it: no Necromancy isn't a huge deal, but lacking Abjuration will call for some more innovative tactics when dealing with enemy mages. I also always go with one roll only for stats and no +/- allowed, so that should make it a little more of a challenge.
    Will of course roleplay him to the best of my ability as somewhat unhinged.

Singleplayer, I'll revive my chaotic good male halfling Cleric of Lathander. There's something about hearing the (in my opinion very potent-sounding) male priest spell chants from a squeaky halfling that just sits right with me.
    Same rules as for the Transmuter, one stat roll only, no +/-. And since I'm playing for my own amusement, no reloading except if the game crashes. He dies, that's it, I go back and think up a new character.
  • jammajamma Member Posts: 2
    This is my first time playing BG, I'm not quite sure that I understand the rules behind kits and duel classing but I hope I can build this character and that his specialization in combat does not limit his usefulness.

I'm open to any critique.

I was thinking of a duel class Human Fighter (Wizard Slayer) > Thief (Swashbuckler), 3 levels Fighter and then Thief. The reason for only 3 fighter levels is to enjoy BG as a duel class.

I like the thought of having the ability to go toe to toe with melee fighters (unlike a regular Thief) but also have a distinct advantage over a meat shield going toe to toe with magic uses.

Can anyone clarify that "Use Any Item" negates the Wizard Slayer "Non Magic Item Use" penalties and that you can choose 2 kits when duel classing?

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    jamma said:

I was thinking of a duel class Human Fighter (Wizard Slayer) > Thief (Swashbuckler), 3 levels Fighter and then Thief. The reason for only 3 fighter levels is to enjoy BG as a duel class.

Unless it's being changed, you can only select "pure" classes as the second one picked. So you could be a Wizard Slayer/Thief or a Swashbuckler/Fighter, but not Wizard Slayer/Swashbuckler, or other way around.
  • jammajamma Member Posts: 2
    Ah, back to the drawing board then. Thank you for replying Silverstar.
  • NalimNalim Member Posts: 19
    Neutral good dual-wielding (Longsword and short sword) half-orc fighter/thief - let the killing begin ^^.
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    CCarluNN said:

Male lawful good inquisitor paladin. Main reasons being the inquistor abilities and Carsomyr. He will serve as party leader, front line warrior, and anti-spellcaster (debuffer).

Blimey, someone after my own heart - except my Paladin has always been female...

Always sat better for me with Imoen being my best friend - pity about Anomen as the only romance!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'm honestly not sure yet. Since I can't get the widescreen mod to work for me and don't know what mods to use, it means I'll have a few characters in my head to run.

"The List" (Ominous voice) for first characters only:
    CG or Neutral Good Elven Stalker. This was my first character in BG and corrupted itself early in throne of bhaal.
    CG/NG Elven Archer: Always wanted to try but never did
    LG Dwarven Wizard Slayer: Same as archer
    NG Half-Orc Berserker: Same as archer, also have considered a dwarven variant as well that dual wields instead of the orcs 2h weapons
    LG Human Undead Slayer: again Archer
    NG Blade: This is the one I really WANT to run right now. Romance Viconia using the mod that lets anyone romance her and kinda run a party based around redeeming people and family (always take imoen/viconia, run most evil people, redeem viconia via romance and sarevok via ToB dialogue)
    Neutral or Evil halfling/elf assassin: Definitely going full evil with this one. Going to wait until BGEE to make this character as well so I can have Dorn.

I dunno there are just so many classes I want to play, I also really want a grand mastery elven kensai with a longsword. So we'll see. Do we know yet if they're going to use the BG2 Grand Mastery or the BG1 variant which was more powerful?
  • PortwillsPortwills Member Posts: 10
    im thinking true neutral druid .. probably male so im a bear and jaheira is a wolf.. and i can romance the wild mage npc and also get that monk npc
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200

CCarluNN said:

Blimey, someone after my own heart - except my Paladin has always been female...

Always sat better for me with Imoen being my best friend - pity about Anomen as the only romance!
    No romance for my inquisitor, he will just 'friend zone' every female in party. Don't want him to end up in a situation like Keldorn's. Paladins make excellent leaders, but bad lovers. If you know the story of Aribeth from Neverwinter, you will know what I mean.
  • AvengerLynxAvengerLynx Member Posts: 24
    I think I'm gonna go with 'old faithful' for my first playthrough:
    LG Elven F/M - Pretty easy to play, but provides a bit of a challenge in that he's not gonna be a tank as such, and the mage aspect does tend to drag his hitpoints down a little from what they could be as a fighter. The wonderful thing is that he can fit into pretty much any party without the need of a compromise anywhere. That is assuming I go for the more sturdy party combination of 2xfighter, 1xcleric, 1xtheif & 1xmage (+PC). Plus what with the new areas, I'd rather go in there with something I'm familiar with and happy to play, as opposed to something which is rather alien to me. I might go with something a little more adventurous for my second playthrough though.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I made up my mind. Ill be a evil human BlackGuard. I wanna "steal" Sarevoks destiny.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    More than likely, a Half Elven Skald with proficiencies in war hammer, short sword and crossbow. Love their bard song, especially combined with Rogue Rebalancing and Song and Silence.
  • LolaLola Member Posts: 13
    I'll probably create a lot of characters before I begin to play :)
    lots of pretty cool characters around here
    i like the idea of the evil blackguard stealing saveroks place. actually right now im thinking of true neutral druid or true neutral barbarian, cause you know it makes sense since when you leave candlekeep you have no experience at all, and well you know first people you meet (aside for xar and montaron) is a true neutral druid and her friend, and well you know the iron is not good anymore sooooo.... developping a combat style without having the heavy iron gears makes sense. But spamming lots of animals and having 2 members of the party transforming in animals themselves and haste the party and stuff seems crazy too.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    NG elven Kensai. Need the elf for the higher max DEX to help the 'too good for armor' class survive at low levels.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    As almost always for me, one of two:

1. LG Human Paladin, uses one-handed swords + a shield or two-handed swords.

2. NG Human Fighter, uses two-handed swords.