Skip to content

If you could find "exploits" in real life, would you ever use them for yourself???

Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
Even if they were unethical, unlawful, taking advantage of others or their weaknesses or their weak spots? I am referring to everything and anything that could apply here. Especially making others follow your whims, with or without them noticing and understanding the whole thing. Essentially, the old quote: "The purpose consecrates the means".

I do not speak of cheating, or blackmailing or evil and illegal acts. But of subtle actions performed by you, in order to discreetly and passively manipulate others, towards whatever it is you want them to do, and they themselves normally wouldn't...

IF you could discover a method for this, would you ever utilize it? Of course, NOT to harm others, but to take advantage of them, instead. STRICTLY without putting them to risk or danger, that is.

As of late, i managed to find myself some certain, nice exploits. And i use them carefully and responsibly. Like a chaotic neutral person that i am...
  1. If you could find "exploits" in real life, would you ever use them for yourself???22 votes
    1. Yes yes yes CERTAINLY! I love going about my way, and have others play my tunes! Or simply getting whatever it is i normally can't or shouldn't...
      63.64%
    2. NO! I am not evil! Leading others to doing ANYTHING that is normally off-limits to them, either by law or by themselves, is a NO-GO!
      18.18%
    3. Get lost you freak! Half the society would and probably already does just this (exploiting others), but i hate you having this "power" and even suggesting to OTHERS about its existence or possible use!
      18.18%

Comments

• Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    meagloth said:

Example?

Anything you can think of...

• SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Depends on whom, and for what.

For example, I'd quite like to be able to subtley manipulate someone into giving me a decent job - and by "decent" I mean "one that is within my ability and for an appropriately fair salary". Not to cheat and make myself a millionaire, just to tip the dice in my favour for once. ;-)
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    edited August 2014
    There is already a serious exploit around using the charisma stat (often in conjunction with your PC's relationships) to gain access to loot that is beyond your intelligence, wisdom, or level. That, and the Caucasian subraces have cushy starting zones. So unbalanced
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Being born a white, upper-middle class male with above average intelligence in one of the wealthiest countries in the world is already sort of an exploit I think.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I hate sneaky types trying to mess with my head... I don't trust anymore because of people like this. if someone is nice it's because they want something, it drives me crazy and makes me angry.

I'd rather be kicked repeatedly in the balls than have to deal with another manipulative person.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I captain a sports team and quite frankly, I'll use any means necessary to get the best out of my players...

These skills are also handy elsewhere.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited August 2014
    "The purpose consecrates the means"
    This statement is one of the most evil ones I've ever heard in my life. It enables people to do pretty much anything no matter the cost, and people are using this "rule" on daily basics. Think politicians, for example. Or people, who supports really dangerous ideologies.

I want to live my life the way I want without having regrets. Accomplishin something with any other way than fair is meaningless to me. I'll walk a steep path, if I have to.

In terms perfectly undestandable to you, @Demonoid_Limewire‌ :
    Obito Uchiha is one who choose to follow "the purpose justifies the means" philosophy, while Naruto walks a steep path. I would like to be more like Naruto than Obito.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Rules are there to keep you down, man.
    Restricting rules are created by people who follow the quote OP mentioned. Figure out what does it means.
    edited August 2014

"The purpose consecrates the means"
    This statement is one of the most evil ones I've ever heard in my life. It enables people to do pretty much anything no matter the cost, and people are using this "rule" on daily basics. Think politicians, for example. Or people, who supports really dangerous ideologies.

I want to live my life the way I want without having regrets. Accomplishin something with any other way than fair is meaningless to me. I'll walk a steep path, if I have to.

In terms perfectly undestandable to you, @Demonoid_Limewire‌ :

Obito Uchiha is one who choose to follow "the purpose justifies the means" philosophy, while Naruto walks a steep path. I would like to be more like Naruto than Obito.
    Think about this... You can get something out of others, that they themselves would normally not give to you initially, or at least without you putting effort or trying hard, and even then that would not be guaranteed (them giving you whatever it is you wanted from them). You use something (a trick, be it psychological or anything else), and poof, you get whatever it is you wanted, without the other person having registered you as eligible for it (and most probably you are not and you know it). And he/she even responds well and gives you more, and more willingly... While said person never, or very rarely, does this with others. If you do not harm this person, or make it feel bad for actions involved, and if you be nice in return too, then why is it bad to exploit people and situations towards your very own advantage??

Restricting rules are created by people who follow the quote OP mentioned. Figure out what does it means.

Well said!!! From people that follow said quote, and for people that cannot restrict themselves towards a decent morality by their own selves and responsibility... But this does not prevent said quote or practices be snatched away from others, converted to more decent means, and be utilized for better purposes... Like all tools, the user's persona dictates the outcome of their use. Playing with fire, does not necessarily mean you are, become, or end up being an arsonist, for example... And fire can do many good end things, like cooking stuff, lighting places and helping you get warm. Metaphorically speaking.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited August 2014
    I'd CTRL+Q Chuck Norris into my party.

whaddup
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    @Demonoid_Limewire‌
    You know, about psychological tricks I am aware of some and you know what? People are using them without realizing it. By exploit I understand something that you do willingly to earn easy but not fair profit for yourself. For example, some street perfume merchants are using an entire system of tricks to sell their perfumes to random people. The "victims" aren't feeling bad about this, but they never thought about buying these things before. And, even if the product really isn't good they are conviced by merchants that it is. The merchant can even manipulate information about the price of their products, telling people that it's good occacion, because it's 20% off price, when in reallity this 20% of is an actual price. That is immoral in my book.

Also, other example - let's take bodybuilders. One is working fair for his results, other is using steroids as additon to training. The second one's results would be better, of course, but he's achieving these in unfair way, thus is much less respectable. He exploits his possibilities, without harming anyone, but it's still exploit. And something gutless, too.

And let's take me, as an example. I want to become good artist, but I could just trace other images and feel good about myself, but I won't do it because it's cheap, unfair and unsatisfying. Instead, I want to truly learn the skills I want to posses without rellying on something loser would.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited August 2014
    Ok, what exploits did *you* find, demonoid? Cause i still don't think I get it. If it's not illegal or 'cheating', isn't it just 'giving it your best shot'? I'd like some clarification before I vote because I think this could be an interesting discussion but in not quite sure what we're talking about.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Slippery slope of answers as none of them fit as I do use exploits and manipulative tricks daily however, not to the point where they become unethical.

I don't do anything like this though:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gcQDuv_Kb0
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    I have mixed views on this, it is possible to trick someone's subconscious in doing something they would normally not do based on patterns or other things. But certain people may be more manipulative or may have that sly toung as some people in my family have. I can be quite gulable because I am quite friendly and don't know much about regular day to day things. Oh and advertiseing is a great example of exaploiting our needs and wants.
    Revealing to others how and on what i exploited others, would instantly turn me into chaotic evil, i believe. Plus, no one guarantees that no one will try to imitate that, or even copy it without bothering to skip the optional, or closely-integrated passive possibility of harming of others. Besides, the conversation involves just about anything. Does not revolve around me, or my own (mal)practices...
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    The poll results make me sad. It's no wonder I live like a hermit.
  • FleshIsADesignFlawFleshIsADesignFlaw Member Posts: 39
    Almost nothing can be said about this in general, except that manipulation is bad, and ought not be done, everything else equal.

Its badness can be EASILY outweighed by more important factors, though. Everything depends to which degree you are using manipulation, what you seek to accomplish, and what the outcome for the manipulated person (and others affected) is.

Here's just one example of good types of manipulation: Allowing people to choose insurance and retirement savings packages freely, but having them opt in by default, thus exploiting a well known psychological bias.

The good kind of manipulation is tricking people into doing what you believe is good for them.

The good kind of manipulation is tricking people into doing what you believe is good for them.

You are just taking their freedom to decide for themselves this way. Nothing more.

Plus "believe" is very subjective.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Ha, this reminds me of a recent "training" course I had to undergo recently for work, whereas the trainer told us to "influence" people and events to get a desired result, but not to manipulate them, as this was bad. She couldn't tell me what the difference was between them, however, that made "influencing" good and "manipulation" bad. Sophistry always drives me nuts.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I don't think knowing how one person is going to react and acting accordingly to make that person do what you want them to do based on your actions is an exploit, I'd say it's a habit in this world.

There are no exploits in RL, life is a path filled with traps like Durlag's Tower, and at the end you just end up like everyone else--dead. An exploit would be making a clone of yourself and, before dying transfer your soul to his body, killing his mind and gaining a new life/body for you a la Emperor Palpatine.

There is already a serious exploit around using the charisma stat (often in conjunction with your PC's relationships) to gain access to loot that is beyond your intelligence, wisdom, or level. That, and the Caucasian subraces have cushy starting zones. So unbalanced

Hahahaha, this is true (I swear...).
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @CrevsDaak‌ huh. I figured you would be all for this sort of thing with your 'lord of chaos' bit. CN with evil tendencies is against subtle manipulation?
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Obviously there are people gaming the system, mostly by exploiting a historical advantage through collusion, and having no empathy whatsoever.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/the-worlds-85-richest-people-are-as-wealthy-as-the-poorest-3-billion/283206/

This is not OK. I would call it evil.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @meagloth‌ not all the types of evil are manipulative. I'd rather do what I have to do for myself, instead of using other people against their will.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    For sure
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    One of my managers awhile back was scared of me because he said he couldn't read me, and sort of passively said he couldn't figure out how to get into my head. There were others who tried getting into my head before and after him, and got spooked, but he stood out because he bragged about being so good at it.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    When I read the thread title I thought you'd be talking about cheat codes in real life, not mind control and manipulation. I'd say that's evil, even though a lot of people use it, some intentionally, some not so intentionally. Whether real life exploits through manipulation or magical game world cheat codes, I think anyone would be sorely tempted if they had such powerful abilities, despite the slippery slope toward Sauron territory.

As for cheat codes in real life, giving yourself infinite wealth would quickly destroy the value of currency and potentially cause a world wide economic collapse. Unless of course the cheat code simply appropriated the money from existing sources, in which case you'd be thrown in prison for theft.

The instakill cheat is pretty obviously dangerous, and most would consider its use evil. Even if you were to only kill "bad guys" I'm guessing the government would want to kill you for the threat you represented if they couldn't find a way to control you for their own ends.

Dropping cows on people, well, I'm pretty sure that's evil. Also, PETA would no doubt start an entire campaign to stop your evil ways! Of course, since such campaigns usually involve actresses and models taking their clothes off, I'm not sure how effective it would be in stopping the behavior.

Create item could also lead to a variety of problems, not the least of which would be somehow explaining to the government where you acquired all those goodies on your meager salary.

Teleporting might be a relatively harmless real life cheat, unless you abused the power. And, if sci-fi movies and television have taught us anything it is that government agents just love to chase and capture people with cool special abilities. So get ready to teleport for your life!

Healing would be a great cheat to have, but then you'd have to live with the burden of deciding if you should heal everyone and the difficulty of not being able to be everywhere at once to heal the sick. Not to mention being overwhelmed by hordes of people hoping for a cure.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Depends on whom and what, but most of the time probably yes.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Advertising already exists. :p The funniest is booze and the like though. People that cant identify their favourite brand in a blind taste test regularly insist their prefered brand tastes the best.

Heck, people pay EXTRA for American beer in Canada... beer that btw is popular in the US in part because its really cheap. You can buy cheaper, better beers, yet people in Canada pay exorbitant prices for Bud Light. :s

Advertising is almost comically good at shaping people, and it is a bit depressing to think most people are totally unaware of how their lives are being shaped and even dictated.